JohnS' Smoking Diary 2021

JohnS

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Partagás Serie D No.5 EOT Oct 2016 I would like to thank @Luca again for gifting me this cigar. The Partagas Serie D No.5 doesn't get anywhere near the attention of its big brother, the Partagas

I'd like to take the opportunity to again thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. I would like to especially thank a number of you who have supported me in your gratitude expres

Bolívar Tubos No.1 ULA Jun 2015 The Bolivar Tubos No.1 was a medium-full Corona cigar discontinued in 2017. It was one of the last Coronas, a 42 ring gauge, 142 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length cigar

On 2/27/2021 at 10:00 PM, JohnS said:

1363425682_2021-02-0116_51_57.jpg.58bd8b8d84cb9e074cbe003917240370.jpg

H. Upmann Magnum 54 circa 2018

I think this may be the second ever H.Upmann Magnum 54 I've ever had and I'm still not enamored with it. After enjoying Connoisseur No.1s and Connossieur As over the years, together with a smattering of Sir Winstons here and there, it really isn't a surprise outcome. And I've never been too fond of the Magnum 46 either. There's an idiom that's come about in the last thirty or forty years, "go big or go home". When it comes to H.Upmann, for me, that means shortbread, quality espresso coffee, a subtle cream texture and cedar all finely balanced. This is not the H.Upmann Magnum 54.

I found this slightly under-filled, a muddle of flavours such as cedar, coffee, toasted tobacco, shortbread and white pepper and I had to re-light it a few times. I smoked the cigar down into the last third but I don't think this is a 54 ring gauge cigar I will be chasing anytime soon. Ostensibly speaking, I would reach for a Bolivar Libertador, Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de San Juan, Partagas Serie E No.2 or Quai d'Orsay No.54 before I smoked a H.Upmann Magnum 54 again. There's also enough other satisfying H.Upmann cigars in current production to keep me well-occupied for the foreseeable future!

Nice review. I am an H.Upmann whore and I was on the fence about getting these and after reading your review I am glad I didn't.  ?

I'm like you John, I have never been fond of the Magnum 46.  It is a travesty how Habanos discontinued the H.Upmann Super Coronas (one of my all time favorite cuban cigars)  and left us with, pale in comparison, the Magnum 46's. ☹️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gamehawker said:

Nice review. I am an H.Upmann whore and I was on the fence about getting these and after reading your review I am glad I didn't.  ?

I'm like you John, I have never been fond of the Magnum 46.  It is a travesty how Habanos discontinued the H.Upmann Super Coronas (one of my all time favorite cuban cigars)  and left us with, pale in comparison, the Magnum 46's. ☹️

You see, at sundry times, polls are conducted on our forum regarding favourite marcas and/or what marca enthusiasts have the most of in their humidor. Invariably, H. Upmann seems to always top these polls. Therefore, let's call it the enthusiast's 'go-to' marca. Cohiba, Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta and Partagas account for many sales in the LCDHs in the world amongst tourist and casual hobbyists/smokers but H.Upmann, I believe, has a special place in the hearts of many members on FoH.

The last thing I want when I light up a H.Upmann cigar (okay, I cede to include most Habanos cigars) are muddled flavours. I can accept that the H.Upmann Magnum 46 is blended to appeal to smokers who appreciate more intense Upmann flavours but when it comes to the Magnum 54 I question what it's trying to be.

All of us have a cigar (or two, or three!) that we don't connect with. I will continue to try the Magnum 54 in the future but I won't be seeking boxes for acquisition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2021 at 1:17 PM, JohnS said:

Cohiba Siglo VI circa 2014

This is the first Cohiba Siglo VI I've had since I had a '99 to 100-point' aged 2009 one in November 2020. As the rating suggests, it was about the best one I've ever sampled. I'd like to have them more often but I find both current pricing ($US35 or $AU80 a stick) and the fact that I've been enamored or 'blown away' by other Cohiba vitolas more often means I don't smoke them as regularly.  

This 2014 Cohiba Siglo VI had a light mocha coffee and Cohiba grass/hay core with honey, some vanilla and a light buttered and cream texture throughout. I paired it with a glass of Canard-Duchene champagne and this complimented the cigar really well. In fact, I'd offer to say that it was a sensational pairing indeed as the champagne had a butter pastry taste to it with a hint of citrus which enhanced the flavours of this Siglo VI perfectly. It goes without saying that I nubbed the cigar to my fingertips.

I wish I could offer some more insight into how the Cohiba Siglo VI smokes within a younger time frame, say 12 to 24 months. I envisage that it would have more mocha coffee and/or spice in general than what it would at the 5 to 10 year mark. Alas, I've enjoyed a number of Cohiba Siglo VIs within the 5-to-10 year 'time-window' and when they smoke as well as this cigar I'd be hesitant to change a winning formula!

Imo 14 was an epic year for Cuba. One of the best in the last 10 years. Just my opinion

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Montecristo No.5 AUM Jul 2014

I think the more I smoke from this box the better the cigars are smoking! This Monte 5 seemed to have the perfect balance of cocoa/chocolate, light milk coffee, nut and baking spice. It was just a pleasure to smoke a 40 ring gauge cigar after smoking a couple of 50 ring gauge cigars prior to this one today. It certainly feels like quite a difference on the palate and the smoking technique is markedly different.

I believe I've smoked through one-third of the box, given one-third away and thus I have one-third left. On the whole, these have been quite popular with the recipients I've given them to. I feel that at six-and-a-half years of age these Montecristo 5s are well within their 'peak' period but they are more towards the end of that 'window' rather than the beginning. Therefore I hope to finish the box this year.

A great value cigar coming outta Cuba. Love em.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4 ABO Ago 2018

This ABO Ago 2018 box of Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4s have been so consistently good that I'm concerned that I'll smoke through the whole box before the year is out! This RyJ Exhibicion No.4 was no different.

What I appreciated was the mildness of the cigar and the combination of typical RyJ flavours. I got more anise out of this RyJ Ex4 than the previous ones I've smoked, but this was well-balanced with light cocoa, sour cherry, rosewater and oat biscuit. I had no issue nubbing it.

The key to the 'fruity' flavours, I believe, is to ensure one gets a box of these with rosado-hued wrappers. It makes all the world of difference to the a RyJ Ex4 cigar, in my opinion.

I agree 100%. Rosado wrappers on RyJ do provide the fruit flavor.  I prefer a deeper rosado wrapper on HU as well. Like the HUHC you had posted up. Those are poster boy wrappers for HU

• Thanks 1

551763962_2021-03-2017_04_35.jpg.7a1ab72621190334477afc22aa3842c3.jpg

Cohiba Shorts

I can't help but feel that the late 2017/early 2018 addition of the Cohiba Shorts to Puritos line of ICT cigars rejuvenated the sales of those short-filler cigars. What can one say about them? For a 10 to 15 minute short cigar they sure to pack a bit of Cohiba flavour!

Expect a combination of honey, grass/hay, spice, citrus and even some mocha and wood when you smoke one. I found them very consistent and dependable, especially in their flavour delivery, as this example was today.

• Like 4