JohnS' Smoking Diary 2021

JohnS

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Partagás Serie D No.5 EOT Oct 2016 I would like to thank @Luca again for gifting me this cigar. The Partagas Serie D No.5 doesn't get anywhere near the attention of its big brother, the Partagas

I'd like to take the opportunity to again thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. I would like to especially thank a number of you who have supported me in your gratitude expres

Bolívar Tubos No.1 ULA Jun 2015 The Bolivar Tubos No.1 was a medium-full Corona cigar discontinued in 2017. It was one of the last Coronas, a 42 ring gauge, 142 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length cigar

On 5/27/2021 at 6:51 AM, JohnS said:

Partagás 8-9-8 TLE Jun 2020

If you've ever wondered why the current version of the Partagas 8-9-8 (2) is listed on Cuban Cigar Website with a parenthesised two it's because there used to be another Partagas cigar named '8-9-8'. Sound confusing? Well, yes...obviously! Would McDonald's have two burgers on their menu called a Big Mac? We may lament Altidis' 50-50 partnership with Habanos S.A in the early 2000s because of mass rationalisation of the Habanos cigar catalogue but at least they were able to assist on the marketing side of things. In this example, the Partagas 8-9-8 (1) was discontinued in 2002. Thus the Partagas 8-9-8 only refers to one cigar ever since.

Informally, aficionados referred to the other Coronas Grandes-sized 42 ring gauge x 155 mm (or 6⅛ inches) 8-9-8 as an unvarnished version because the distinctive bowed-sided semi boite nature box it came in was plain. The modern and current 8-9-8 is a Dalias-sized 43 ring gauge x 170 mm ( or 6¾ inches) and comes in a varnished box with cigars layered in three rows of eight, nine and eight respectively...hence the name!

I would like to thank @Bijan for the trade that made smoking this cigar possible. Paradoxically, the Partagas 8-9-8 is a cigar I've smoked more often recently in the last three months than in the last three years! Then again, this cigar did go into a lengthy hiatus recently (the similarly Dalias-sized Cohiba Siglo V goes into regular hiatus periods too). In my mind, the best way to classify this cigar is too say that it's a smaller version of the Double Corona-sized Lusitanias, only stronger and bolder in flavour.

This 8-9-8 was all quality sourdough and leather upon the first puff. Again, this 'bready' sourdough remained at the core of the cigar throughout. Along the way I got various flavours of coffee, Earth, forest floor, cedar, strong tobacco and pepper, just like the last few Partagas 8-9-8s I've smoked. Even though I knew I was smoking a solid, complex, quality and reputable cigar I must confess that it once again didn't connect with my palate on account of the stronger tobacco and pepper flavours. I can't say I've ever felt that way about a Partagas Lusitanias.

Nevertheless, the Partagas 8-9-8 is a quality, reputable cigar enjoyed by many experienced enthusiasts on our forum. Unfortunately, they're not always easy to acquire and the time taken to smoke it is closer to two hours than one; however, they do exemplify excellence in a Habanos cigar, that's for sure!

I agree with you surprisingly! I’ve found when 898’s lack sweetness they just don’t do it for me. I’m preferring Lusi’s as for me they show far more sweet flavors (like honey, cake etc) to balance out the stronger aspects. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2021 at 7:20 AM, JohnS said:
Romeo y Julieta Petit Royales SMA Jun 2019
My love affair with this cigar continues on, it seems! What more can I say anew about this wonderful addition to the Romeo y Julieta marca?
From the very first puff I instinctively knew that I was in for a treat. This RyJ Petit Royales had strong notes of cocoa/chocolate, toasted tobacco, cherry, rosewater and walnut and smoked well from beginning to end. This time there was no spice.
If you have a predilection towards the Romeo y Julieta marca than do yourself a favour and find out for yourself what a good, short smoke these are! Give yourself around 30 to 35 minutes to savour it.

Just had my first few of these, also 2019, and really enjoyed them, and I typically dont care for petite Robustos much, but am a pretty big RyJ fan, so had to try them.

On 5/6/2021 at 7:21 AM, JohnS said:
Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Maire TEO May 2018
In my last review I had written that when it comes to the Le Hoyo series I sometimes wonder why the du Gourmet, du Roi, du Prince and des Dieux were discontinued but the du Maire remains. I surmised then (and I still do) that the cold hard facts is that the du Maire continues to sell, while the other aforementioned cigars of the Le Hoyo series did not, but I still reminisce and pine for a des Dieux or du Prince at times; whereas I never pine for a du Maire other than when I need a cigar to smoke for a 20 to 25-minute duration.
This box is now coming onto three years of age and it's been an up-and-down ride thus far. The last HdM Le Hoyo du Maire I had around two months ago was ordinary; in contrast, this du Maire today was brilliant. It had everything one could ask for from a Habanos cigar. It was well-constructed, the draw was perfect and it smoked well and cool. The flavour profile was ideal too - light cocoa. cedar and vanilla and no spice or bitterness on the draw whatsoever. I just wish I could have HdM Le Hoyo du Maires like this more often.

I was generously gifted about a dozen 2001's and while they are nothing special, even with that much age, I still enjoy them as a short after meal smoke

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 8:25 PM, JohnS said:

1387269044_2021-05-1517_55_32.jpg.32fd8a1b7398d9f13196d298cf1c8349.jpg

La Gloria Cubana Revolution 2015 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico SGA Nov 2015

As I wrote in my previous review on this cigar eighteen months ago, the La Gloria Cubana Revolution is an Asia Pacifico Regional Edition release that followed the Diplomaticos Bushidos. Although listed as a 2015 release, like the Bushidos, it didn't hit the market until the following year, in the case of the Revolution, around mid-2016. Following the actualised hype of the Bushidos, this was a tough act to follow. Not unsurprisingly, the Revolution is not as acclaimed as the Bushidos, but reviews haven't been that bad either, flavour-wise.

The last LGC Revolution I had was brilliant; a real testament to what a quality La Gloria Cubana cigar can smoke like optimally. The one before that unfortunately unravelled in the final third and I had to pitch it early.

I must say that I very enjoyed the flavours of this cigar, even if I didn't much enjoy the Montesco vitola (i.e. 55 ring gauge x 130 mm or 5⅛ inches in length). I got a wonderful combination of cream coffee, wood, fruit and floral notes with a cake-textured feel on the palate. Last time I even got a hint of some pepper but there was none evident eighteen months later.

Even though I felt very satisfied after finishing this cigar, I still question the current market value of this release as being too high for what it delivers. Nevertheless, at five-and-a-half years of age it's progressing nicely in the flavour department. I have one left...I wonder how long I can resist smoking it?

This inspired me to jump on the 1/4 box offering today John. Shall let you know how they perform once have them and rested.

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2021 at 5:05 AM, JohnS said:

959123115_2021-05-0811_37_16.jpg.f0161c0133036375245817426abc3c80.jpg

Por Larrañaga Galanes RAT Nov 2020

What is it about new Habanos releases lately been all individual sizes from each other? It seems that ever since around 2015 when the Partagas Maduro No.1 came out we've had a whole spate of new cigars with new sizes. Consider the following; Partagas Maduro No.1, Cohiba Medio Siglo, H.Upmann Magnum 54, Romeo y Julieta Petit Royales, Quai d'Orsay No.54, Vegueros Centrofinos, Partagas Maduro No.2, Partagas Maduro No.3, Trinidad Esmeralda, Trinidad Media Luna, Trinidad Topes, Punch Short de Punch, La Flor de Cano Elegidos, H.Upmann Connossieur No.2 and the upcoming 2021 releases - the Montecristo Wide Edmundo and Cohiba Ambar.

There was once a time when a vitola meant something. For example, in the case of a Numero 109 (50 ring gauge x 184 mm or 7¼ inches - Diplomaticos Bushido, Sancho Panza Eslavos), Sublimes (54 ring gauge x 164 mm or 6½ inches - Bolivar Libertador, Cohiba and Montecristo Sublimes) or even a Canonazo Especial (52 ring gauge x 166 mm or 6½ inches - Cohiba 1966 EL, Trinidad La Trova) the size of these cigars indicates excellence and quality. The Por Larranaga Galanes is a 52 ring gauge x 120 mm (or 4¾ inches) in length Robusto. I'm not sure what its size means but if it was slightly smaller in girth I'd like to think it to be like a Punch Short de Punch, which is 50 ring gauge. Why it's not is anyone's guess.

I suppose the main thing is ascertaining how this new release smoked the first time I tried it. I must admit I was somewhat reticent to light it up so soon after delivery. I knew that the cigar was slightly 'wet' by the extra time it took to toast the foot; it took almost twice as long to light up. The very first puff was similar in taste to a Cohiba Medio Siglo, it was that 'buttery'. It soon settled in the first half in its core butter bread flavour; something akin to a recent Quai d'Orsay no.50 or 54 with its brioche characteristics. This Por Larranaga Galanes also had a nice milk coffee flavour in the first half to compliment that brioche-type butter bread taste on the palate.

In the second half I got more of a dull oak wood flavour in addition to the aforementioned flavours in the first half. There was no Por Larranaga 'Caramel' nor rough edges to this cigar. The cigar took 80 minutes to finish and there was plenty of flavour and smoke to each draw.

I'm now going to give this box a good two to three months to settle before having another one. Based on the flavours I picked up in this PL Galanes today I wouldn't be surprised if this new release turns out to be quite popular with our members.

Thanks for the review on this John. Have a box from our host that has been resting for just over 1 month now. Post your review and some others that I have read, think I shall let them go for 3 months until trying the first 1. Cheers 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chucko8 said:

Looking forward to your review on the taco mate.

Haha...you mean the new PCC Cuaba APAC Regional Edition? I was coincidentally working on that this afternoon. Indeed, it's coming! 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1