JohnS' Smoking Diary 2021

JohnS

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Partagás Serie D No.5 EOT Oct 2016 I would like to thank @Luca again for gifting me this cigar. The Partagas Serie D No.5 doesn't get anywhere near the attention of its big brother, the Partagas

I'd like to take the opportunity to again thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. I would like to especially thank a number of you who have supported me in your gratitude expres

Bolívar Tubos No.1 ULA Jun 2015 The Bolivar Tubos No.1 was a medium-full Corona cigar discontinued in 2017. It was one of the last Coronas, a 42 ring gauge, 142 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length cigar

12 hours ago, JohnS said:

Cuaba APAC 2020 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico LTO Mar 2021

If you haven't heard already then 'hear ye, hear ye', there's a new Regional Edition cigar in town and what's more, it's a Cuaba! Yes, Pacific Cigar Company (or it's more common abbreviation, PCC) is bringing out the 2020 Cuaba APAC in mid-2021 as an Asia-Pacifico Regional Edition, the very first Regional Edition since the program was conceived in 2005.

The Cuaba APAC will come in a 10-count box, with PCC distributing a run of 8888 boxes. The cigar is a Tacos vitola, a 47 ring gauge x 158 mm (or 6¼ inches) in length Perfecto, the same size as the LCDH Hoyo de Monterrey Elegantes, 2020 Mexican Regional Edition Ramon Allones Perfecto and the regular production Partagas Presidentes. The Tacos vitola differs a little from regular production Cuaba Perfectos in the shape of the head, which in the case of the APAC, is more conical than your standard Cuaba.

I was fortunate enough to receive this cigar to sample from El Pres, and yes...I am grateful for the opportunity. So how did it smoke? From the very first puffs I was delighted to savour that Cuaba peanut and orange Cointreau citrus profile. It was quite good, every bit as good as a quality Distinguidos in my view. Towards the end of the first third I picked up some chocolate but more so the quintessential Cuaba toasted tobacco with some grass or vegetal flavour on the edges. Towards the end of the second third I got some spice here and there and this was how the cigar remained until the end. For a Cuaba, I must admit, I was quite impressed in regards to its flavours.

I feel that with a LTO Mar 2021 box code that these are still young and will need time to settle. I sampled this with a few other cigar enthusiast friends and whilst my draw and construction was 'spot-on', two of a group of seven had slightly tighter draws. Whilst they didn't need a PerfecDraw tool to open up their draw, this construction issue is a testimony to the shape of the cigar and its propensity to require more skill to roll well. I think this point is something we all need to keep in mind if we were inclined to acquire a box for purchase.

Will these sell? Is PCC taking too large a risk, especially as Cuaba is commonly maligned in the Cigar Enthusiast community for its construction and performance issues related to their harder-to-roll vitolas? My opinion is that the curiosity of an initial Cuaba Regional Edition will cause more interest than normal, at first, but longer-term success depends on how the cigar is received thereafter once consumers have sampled it.

Thanks for the review on this John, I have been looking forward to reading your view. I’m eagerly anticipating that peanut and orange citrus profile which I personally find pleasing in this marca. Just received a box yesterday so shall let you know how I find them after a few months of rest.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Chucko8 said:

Thanks for the review on this John, I have been looking forward to reading your view. I’m eagerly anticipating that peanut and orange citrus profile which I personally find pleasing in this marca. Just received a box yesterday so shall let you know how I find them after a few months of rest.

Thank you. As usual, I'll be looking forward to your review on the Cuaba APAC. 😉

• Like 1