JohnS' Smoking Diary 2021

JohnS

On 7/22/2021 at 8:22 AM, JohnS said:

1698594864_2021-07-0712_15_18.jpg.4e30cb90cedd93f9fc774ed52e4e3241.jpg

Rafael González Petit Coronas SOM Ene 2017

There's so few premium Marevas options nowadays that it's hard to believe that the Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona could be thought of as a forgotten vitola. Maybe it's just a case of its current hiatus or perhaps the Montecristo No.4 and Cohiba Siglo II account for the greater majority of sales in this size. When I mean marevas, I am of course referring to a 42 ring gauge x 129 mm (or 5⅛ inches) in length handmade Habanos cigar. The Petit Corona classification used to refer to a machine-made vitola of the same length.

At one stage, it seemed that close to every marca had a marevas option in their line-up. In my mind, when Habanos S.A went into a 50/50 partnership with Altidis in 2000 and then started to streamline their regular production catalogue in 2002 starting with the H.Upmann No.4, Partagas Petit Coronas, Punch Petit Coronas and Ramon Allones Petit Coronas being discontinued, this signalled the beginning of the shift towards other vitolas such as the Robustos as the quintessential Habanos size. The discontinuation of the Diplomaticos No.4 and Punch Royal Seleccion No.12 in 2010 confirmed this shift, in my view.

I equate just 5 marevas as premium offerings currently; the Montecristo No.4, Cohiba Siglo II, Bolivar Petit Coronas, Por Larranaga Petit Coronas and Rafael Gonzalez Petit Coronas. Romeo y Julieta may have five marevas cigars in its marca but I don't view these as premium offerings, including the latest retro release, the RyJ Club Kings. And not all deletions in this vitola have had the same reaction amongst cigar enthusiasts; I doubt too many would miss the Sancho Panza Non Plus (discontinued 2019) in the same way as the H.Upmann Petit Coronas (discontinued 2017).

This Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona came from a recent 5-pack singles acquisition. They had a good few years on it too, but my UTE Oct 2015 RGPCs are a little older. This SOM Ene 2017 example more than 'holds its own' in quality in comparison to my 2015 RGPCs, in my view, after smoking this cigar today. It simply had a wonderful balanced combination of cocoa, Earth, wood, dried fruit and a little honey sweetness here and there. Suffice to say, this could have possibly been the best Rafael Gonzalez I've ever smoked, and that's saying something, because I assure you I've smoked a few!

If you haven't smoked a Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona for awhile why not re-visit it soon? You may be in for a wondrous surprise!

I have had one from a 17 box. About time to revisit. First one was decent and thought at time may need another yr for them to balance out a bit more. PCs are my favorite. Wish I still had RAPC! 

• Like 1

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Partagás Serie D No.5 EOT Oct 2016 I would like to thank @Luca again for gifting me this cigar. The Partagas Serie D No.5 doesn't get anywhere near the attention of its big brother, the Partagas

I'd like to take the opportunity to again thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. I would like to especially thank a number of you who have supported me in your gratitude expres

Bolívar Tubos No.1 ULA Jun 2015 The Bolivar Tubos No.1 was a medium-full Corona cigar discontinued in 2017. It was one of the last Coronas, a 42 ring gauge, 142 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length cigar