Habanos Regional and Limited Editions

So, looking for opinions on Cuban RE's and LE's.

Have never tried one due to the very high prices, but will be having some extra money in my cigar budget in a couple months and am curious what others think of them in general.

Are they typically worth the high price, or are they basically just a marketing gimmick?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts,

Sean

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

... all 'puttered' out! -LOL The EL and RE are Cuban cigar reality, despite their poor value and performance (as I believe it). I tend to stay out of the argument today, because the LE and RE are

I’m pretty sure that if I had started my appreciation of Cuban cigars back when @PigFish did, instead of only 5 years ago, and I built my collection then the way I am now, I’d feel the same way....and

As has been outlined above almost all ERs stay within the spectrum of their marca's DNA. Depending on the marca that can vary quite a bit. For example marcas like RA and HU have a wide range of blends

After spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on them a long time ago, i realized that the juice isnt worth the squeeze. Most are ok but i dont like to pay top dollar for ok. I mean they are better than non cubans but not worth the money imo. Some are really good like the VR Maestros. Regular production has stood the test of time for reason

• Like 4

Mostly marketing gimmick, with some noteworthy go-for-its.  

This is a well-worn topic here.  I'm guessing you're about to get dogpiled with variations of "double-banded dollar gobbler" replies.  

Still, some are great.  I think you should search for recommendations if you want to go the RE/El route.

The prices spike with age. I've really enjoyed the Monte GM, 540, RA Club Allones.  Current stock?  Nothing floats my boat, but I do really like the Punch 48 (LCDH).    

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PuroDan said:

After spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on them a long time ago, i realized that the juice isnt worth the squeeze. Most are ok but i dont like to pay top dollar for ok. I mean they are better than non cubans but not worth the money imo. Some are really good like the VR Maestros. Regular production has stood the test of time for reason

That's the triple truth, Ruth.  So many good regular production choices have stood the test of time for a reason.  But still, if you're just looking for a little variety in your collection, I think having some RE/El will help diversify the portfolio so to speak.  Just don't expect them to be all that "special."   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rcarlson said:

That's the triple truth, Ruth.  So many good regular production choices have stood the test of time for a reason.  But still, if you're just looking for a little variety in your collection, I think having some RE/El will help diversify the portfolio so to speak.  Just don't expect them to be all that "special."   

Agreed. Nothing to write home about in the LE/RE department lately imo though

2 hours ago, rcarlson said:

Mostly marketing gimmick, with some noteworthy go-for-its.  

This is a well-worn topic here.  I'm guessing you're about to get dogpiled with variations of "double-banded dollar gobbler" replies.  

Still, some are great.  I think you should search for recommendations if you want to go the RE/El route.

The prices spike with age. I've really enjoyed the Monte GM, 540, RA Club Allones.  Current stock?  Nothing floats my boat, but I do really like the Punch 48 (LCDH).    

The Club Allones i smoked were stellar. I forgot about those

The ones I am considering are available in singles, so ending up with a box of something I don't like isn't an issue fortunately.

And they aren't terribly expensive at about $20 and $24 each.

They are the 2018 Belgian Diplomaticos and Sancho Panza, both marcas I have enjoyed with my little sampling of them, and the size is within my preferred range, so that's not an issue either.

7 minutes ago, PigFish said:

IMG_0807.jpg.4f31a8ca8ffe5aa40c5ebfa2c84d7e40.jpg

This is a traditional Cuban cigar. It had heritage, value, good taste and track record. It did not cost $20.00 a stick, and that is why it is no longer made...!

Its replacement... the LE, RE. What is missing from the above list is for you, the consumer to decide! -Piggy

(Me. It is missing all the above! Including class!)

100 % agree 

I also agree that many LE/REs aren't worth it. Most LEs taste similar to me, mainly b/c of the dark, crappy wrappers they choose to use on them.

Now ERs on the other hand sometimes serve some purpose- take LGC for instance. They have basically gutted this marca down to zero regular production rolls...if I want to smoke LGC (which just happens to be my fave Cuban flavor profile), I have to buy aged stock...which is sometimes hard to find & always $$$$. OR, buy LGC Regionals, which aren't that hard to find & always $$$. Long story short, I'm willing to buy LGC ERs to have access to LGC. 

But the above example aside, many others aren't worth it IMO...$30/stick Dip? No thx I'll smoke a $13 No. 2. R allones ERs? Many taste the same as a RASS (or if they're lucky a RAS), for 2-3x the price of Reg production. You get the picture. Terrible value just to have a different vitola from a said marca.

No matter what these will always be chased by those who want what others don't have, rare, etc. Or people looking to flip for profit down the road. I honestly don't mind the fact they exist, it's actually brilliant marketing by Habanos.

• Like 4

I was fortunate enough to have someone guide my introduction to Cuban cigars. He sent me packages of various marcas and vitolas and I would share tasting notes. The process really helped me figure out what I liked. A great education. 

there was one double bander in the process. They last cigar I smoked. Had some good and many exceptional regular production sticks. The picture of the double bander got a lot of thumbs up on the daily smoke thread, was the most expensive stick I bought, and was barely meh. 
the self deprecating notes I shared started w a comment that perhaps my skills were not developed but that double bander was among the lowest rated stick I had smoked in terms of my taste. Just no real flavor. 

My guide’s response:

”and thus your education is complete”

I have since purchased over 2k Cuban cigars. 10 of those are the Gloria Habana Espana that were $100. That’ll likely be my last double band purchase. 

But that’s me. Collecting is a solitary journey in many ways. Do what makes you happy. For me, that was collecting production sticks and getting an aging process in place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve likely burned a couple of hundred EL’s throughout the years, and my considered opinion is meh. Better regular production out there at a much more attractive price. The regionals on the other hand, I’ve not had many, but the 3 or 4 dozen I’ve had mostly seemed pleasant and interesting. For example, the ERDM Taino (Formosa) from the 2019 Christmas sampler was about feckin’ brilliant!

A $30 dollar cigar? ?  Maybe...

• Thanks 1

Trinidad Topes EL

Diplomatico El Embajador

Diplomatico Diputados

LGC Orgullosos

Sancho Panza Gran Quixote

RA Silver Jubilee 

ScDLH La Cabaña

Cohiba Talisman

Punch La Isla

I'll just leave this here. Not all ER/ELs are great but you can run into a couple of good ones every so often. Are they great value? Hell no. If you prefer $7/ stick CCs don't look at these. If you're ok exploring outside reg production, don't hold back. 

• Like 2

Some great, most mediocre, some lousy. 

At the current price points it's a very tough sell. Back in the day, special production was priced much closer to regular production. No longer.

Unless there is a particular cigar that you are interested in that you're willing to pay a premium for my general advice is to avoid.

• Like 1

Agree with the list above.  The Gran Quixote Belux Regional (one of the singles in question) is excellent.  Big fan. I have had plenty of LEs that didn't wow me, but the Topes and Talisman are both the detour from regular production IMO.  Broadly speaking, I love exploring regionals as they tend to be a way to get vitolas otherwise not available, and there are some marcas that perform very well in the RE category with very limited (or virtually no) offerings in the regular production category. LGC, RG, and Sancho are definitely in that category, and I have had incredible luck with the quality of Punch's regional offerings.  Especially if you can get singles, I say why not?!

• Like 1

There are LEs and REs i have liked. Many that i have disliked. I am of the opinion that no cigar, none at all, is worth more than 30USD. Not a single one. Those who rave on about how good an LE cigar is are trying to make themselves feel better about the massive outlay they jsut put down for it. 

• Like 3

I like variety and some times a RE or LE can give you that. Sometimes they are disappointing, sometimes they are good and some times they are great. Just like regular production cigars can be. I have lots of regular production cigars and some that have lots of age. I have them because I enjoy them. There are also some older and newer RE/LE’s that I really enjoy. Some of the older ones didn’t have any premium associated with them at the time I bought them. Even some of the newer ones (like Punch La Isla) were I think a bargain at the normal price. Even if I enjoyed a cigar of any kind I would not pay jacked up secondary prices because there are still so many other enjoyable cigars. ( OK, maybe I’d give a kidney with cash for Dip 4’s but there aren’t many I’d do that for. )

If buying these types of cigars are a stretch financially or you think too much about the cost you are probably better staying away from them. If the cost isn’t an issue and you like trying new things and variety then give it a go; the worst that can happen is you decide you didn’t like it.

Who am I or anyone else to judge what’s right or wrong for someone else. If you can do something and want to try it then go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Dip Bushido was good. (well, great actually). I didn't think their recent Canadian RE was that great. I bought a box, smoked a couple, then put it away for a while...pulled one out, smoked it..still wasn't thrilled...so I sold the remainder of the box. 

But I wish I could buy Boshido's as a standard release. 

• Like 1

• JohnS changed the title to Habanos Regional and Limited Editions

well IMO I do enjoy trying out el and re. Are they value for money ?definitely not, but if you like to try out different things and comfortable to pay the extra dollars to enjoy it fully knowing it could be disappointing then go ahead. If you’re looking for value or high likelihood you’re going to enjoy it then look else where 

Some of my fav all time cigars are er/el and there were a lot of disappointing experiences as well 

Disclaimer: I’m a newbie compared to others in this forum 

If you are hot for a certain size vitola and an EL or RE is it; go for it.  Some countries, RE's are not so financially viable, but if you can get them at semi-similar pricing the production cigars; why not?  I like a lot of the unique blends.  I don't pretend to think the a regional tastes like the Marca on box, but I still like the actual cigar.  

I am especially a fan of the figuardo RE's.