Habanos Regional and Limited Editions

7 hours ago, shippers said:

I’ve recently come round to the opinions being shared here. Good quality regular production for me. Buy a bit more each year than you need and build up a surplus of your favourites.

One exception I do have - reasonable(ish) price Regionals of countries I actually visit. It’s a nice souvenir of the trip and better than a fridge magnet.

I've not smoked a lot of LE's and RE's compared to some of the experts on here but in general I don't think they deliver for bang for your buck. As most have suggested a good regular production with a decent amount of age 5+ years will probably beat out most LE & RE but that's me and wish I had spent more investing in boxes of cigars when i first started than now trying to buy them as they are a lot more expensive!

@shippers Love that Idea of buying a RE for countries I've visited, never thought about it before but its such a good idea.  I normally just buy a cigar and have good memories that way but a regional makes way more sense.  When we get to travel again I'm going to start doing this.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

... all 'puttered' out! -LOL The EL and RE are Cuban cigar reality, despite their poor value and performance (as I believe it). I tend to stay out of the argument today, because the LE and RE are

I’m pretty sure that if I had started my appreciation of Cuban cigars back when @PigFish did, instead of only 5 years ago, and I built my collection then the way I am now, I’d feel the same way....and

As has been outlined above almost all ERs stay within the spectrum of their marca's DNA. Depending on the marca that can vary quite a bit. For example marcas like RA and HU have a wide range of blends

The few transcendent smokes in my limited experience have been LEs. 1966, hoyo GE 13, monte GE 10, RA CA 15. 

Most, however, have ranged from average to very good. None to my memory have been bad. 

I'm happy enough to keep trying and buying. 

Edmundo Dantes Condes from Mexico

La Escepcion Selectos from Italy

Por Larranga REs from all over have been good

Punch Mantuas from Italy

the list could go on and on. The right REs are unreal and give guys the chance to try some ridiculous things. that’s what I heard. 

• Like 1

The PL Encantos RE are one of my favourite cigars. Wish I had more of them.
REs/LEs are just like regular production cigars. Some are good, some are bad. They have their place in a humidor. If you don't try for yourself, you will never know. And honestly, the only person who can really judge whether a cigar is good or bad is yourself.
Very true.
At this point I'm planning to get a few each of the 2018 Belgian Sancho Panza and Diplomaticos to see for myself as reviews are pretty mixed.
Plus they aren't terribly expensive so I can swing a few to try.

The new vendor I'm planning to try out is charging significantly less than I see elsewhere for RE's, so I figure, why not.
Plus, at least they already have 3 years age on them rather than being fresh, although most people are reccomending 5 years age minimum.
Wont be able to resist trying one after it rests a few months, but will try and sit on the other 2 of each for a couple years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

Very true.
At this point I'm planning to get a few each of the 2018 Belgian Sancho Panza and Diplomaticos to see for myself as reviews are pretty mixed.

I am a fan of the both of those cigars.  Really terrific boxes I have of them.

3 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

Very true.

The new vendor I'm planning to try out is charging significantly less than I see elsewhere for RE's, so I figure, why not.
Plus, at least they already have 3 years age on them rather than being fresh, although most people are reccomending 5 years age minimum.
Wont be able to resist trying one after it rests a few months, but will try and sit on the other 2 of each for a couple years.

There are more recent boxes of the SP out there. The newest code that I have seen is RAT MAR20. I have only smoked from LGR DIC 17 boxes and they are very good. But some friends mentioned that the more recent ones aren't as good.

There are more recent boxes of the SP out there. The newest code that I have seen is RAT MAR20. I have only smoked from LGR DIC 17 boxes and they are very good. But some friends mentioned that the more recent ones aren't as good.
Good to know.
Honestly didn't realize that they produced RE's for more than a Single year, so was assuming they would be 2018, and that was the release date I had seen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smbauerllc said:

Good to know.
Honestly didn't realize that they produced RE's for more than a Single year, so was assuming they would be 2018, and that was the release date I had seen.

That happens a lot. They come in batches and it can take a while until the full amount of boxes has been released.

23 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

Good to know.

RE's can get a year or two for production. 

LE's we've seen multiple years of release. 

Good to know.

Both SP and Dip RE for Belux now have box codes of 2020. Im quite sure if you order now you will receive 19 or 20 boxes or cigars

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

I honestly don't bother with the box codes of most REs cause of the dumb stickers. Mexico and Europe vendors have their boxes mummified in these ridiculous warning stickers. We all know about the Talisman 17 vs 19 boxes. They might have been rolled some more in 2020, but I'm not certain of that. 

I’m pretty sure that if I had started my appreciation of Cuban cigars back when [mention=79]PigFish[/mention] did, instead of only 5 years ago, and I built my collection then the way I am now, I’d feel the same way....and I’d be quite content sitting on the pile of absolute gems I’d now have. So in this respect, I totally agree with Ray’s perspective.
But it’s a different era for Cuban cigar lovers, with different options for those like myself who seek variety. The passion for the cigar hasn’t changed, just the rules. And in adapting to these differing times, one can’t deny that RE’s and LE’s, and perhaps just as importantly, LCDH’s are part of the mix, and many do offer a slightly different take on a Marca that is otherwise unavailable. That is, if one can get over the cost premium. 
People tend to focus on value, and I can’t fault that. But when it comes to cigars, value is so subjective it rarely factors for me. And this is odd given that I’m not at all independently wealthy. But I’m betting that my quest to experience quality and variety in this hobby is not unlike most, and for me, having the opportunity to smoke 2 or 3 ok cigars only to find the 4th one to be absolutely amazing and perfectly enhance the moment is priceless. 
Some RE’s and LE’s are crap, but some are amazing and unique tasting. Many vetted suggestions have been made, which definitely weeds out some of the riff raff. I say go for it.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Yellot00tr said:

Edmundo Dantes Condes from Mexico

La Escepcion Selectos from Italy

Por Larranga REs from all over have been good

Punch Mantuas from Italy

Sure, but 3/4 of those had very low initial prices. ED 109 and LE SF was around $450. The PL ERs were priced pretty consistent with most regular production ($8-10/stick) at least until 2014 or so. 

Lots of us were taking dives on ER boxes back in the day. I bought my RA Celestiales Finos for $185. Boli Especiales No. 2 for $420. PL Beli for $180. Wasn't a big deal if they weren't show stoppers. Now it's pretty much the same quality they've always been (I don't think ERs have improved as a whole since the beginning--some great, some lousy, most mediocre) but they're double and triple the price of regular production.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Sure, but 3/4 of those had very low initial prices. ED 109 and LE SF was around $450. The PL ERs were priced pretty consistent with most regular production ($8-10/stick) at least until 2014 or so. 

Lots of us were taking dives on ER boxes back in the day. I bought my RA Celestiales Finos for $185. Boli Especiales No. 2 for $420. PL Beli for $180. Wasn't a big deal if they weren't show stoppers. Now it's pretty much the same quality they've always been (I don't think ERs have improved as a whole since the beginning--some great, some lousy, most mediocre) but they're double and triple the price of regular production.

Those RA CF were cool as hell. The encantos and alemanias were great back then. You’re absolutely right though-prices have seemingly moved significantly higher on the regionals. Not sure if they’re worth the hype anymore. I do wish I had gotten some of the Sir Davids. Super high demand regardless of the number. 

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for the ton of responses. Some very helpful information.

Think I'm going to pull the trigger and get 3 of the Belgian Sancho Panza and Diplomaticos for my first foray into the world of RE's. The price isn't to bad, cheaper than some regular production Cohibas, so if they don't do it for me it won't be a big loss

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

Think I'm going to pull the trigger and get 3 of the Belgian Sancho Panza and Diplomaticos for my first foray into the world of RE's.

The SPQ and Dip ED are two very reasonably priced ERs and also offer something you can't get in regular production. Those two would be safe bets to dive in on.

12 hours ago, Yellot00tr said:

Those RA CF were cool as hell.

They were pretty good when I got them but a generous BOTL sent me one 2 or 3 years back. Outstanding. Not sure it's worth today's prices but it was a 95-96 pointer. Incredible construction:

racf.jpg

To give you an idea how low the prices were I remember the Edmundo Dantes 109 on the shelf at the LCDH in 07-08. I saw the price and laughed--$26 each! 4 years later the Conde 54 was on the shelf. $33 each! I laughed again. 

Now my laughter has turned to tears. But that gives you an idea how crazy it was for the ER pricing to be that high back then. An ER/EL costing more than an Esplendidos? Get out of here. 

• Like 4

Great responses guys and as usual, so interesting. Can add LCDH second band cigars to this list too for upper level collecting and pricing.

A while back and since traveling, have abandoned RE’s. What got me miffed were the repeated dwarf 10ers. 🤣 sure the only way to get a box of LGC was to give the store owner the puppy eyes in Italy, but hey that was on a weird day.

I consider LE’s different. They are usually lovely, in just about every marca in a particular year. Much of a collection can be investment, and these are great for that.

CB

• Like 3

Great responses guys and as usual, so interesting. Can add LCDH second band cigars to this list too for upper level collecting and pricing.
A while back and since traveling, have abandoned RE’s. What got me miffed were the repeated dwarf 10ers.  sure the only way to get a box of LGC was to give the store owner the puppy eyes in Italy, but hey that was on a weird day.
I consider LE’s different. They are usually lovely, in just about every marca in a particular year. Much of a collection can be investment, and these are great for that.
CB

I agree, great responses everyone, and thank you for your opinions.

The RE'S I'm looking at are actually surprisingly cheap compared to what I see other vendors charging.

Likely because they are Belgian RE'S, and the vendor is based in Belgium.

I have had a number of LCDH's and have always enjoyed them for getting different vitolas not otherwise available. For the most part I haven't found them to be all that expensive really, but they are more than regular production.

Will likely never get into LE's as they are just too expensive everywhere I have looked. Re's aren't as bad when getting the vendor's countries RE's. RE's from outside the vendor's country are quite expensive from everywhere I have looked.

• Like 1

If a newcomer to the world of Cuban Cigars asked me about the high end cigars I'd recommend to buy I'd say get some Cohibas and lay them down for five years.I haven't had good luck with most program cigars. It took some time but I went almost all regular production a while ago and have no regrets. Of the cigars that I wished I had never sold none are program cigars.

• Like 4