GOLFERS - Book recommendations?

Hey gang,

Looking for recs on a great golf book - this is for someone who has played their whole life, is the president of the golf club, and has just about everything.  So probably not a novice "Golf for Dummies" type of book, something maybe a bit more profound?  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

5 minutes ago, Silverstix said:

Hey gang,

Looking for recs on a great golf book - this is for someone who has played their whole life, is the president of the golf club, and has just about everything.  So probably not a novice "Golf for Dummies" type of book, something maybe a bit more profound?  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Do you have a list of books that are already under this person's belt?

Thanks all for the input so far!  Unfortunately I don't know what he has under his belt so I'm kinda flying blind.

Has anyone here read "Final Rounds: A Father, A Son, The Golf Journey Of A Lifetime" by James Dodson?  It sounds like something I'd pick out for myself

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Silverstix said:

Thanks all for the input so far!  Unfortunately I don't know what he has under his belt so I'm kinda flying blind.

Has anyone here read "Final Rounds: A Father, A Son, The Golf Journey Of A Lifetime" by James Dodson?  It sounds like something I'd pick out for myself

Have not, but if you read it let me know if it’s any good!

The Match, as listed above, is a no brainer.  If you wish for pure wisdom, I can't think of a better book than Harvey Penick's Little Red Book.  If you're interested in golf course architecture, I would pick up Tom Doak's book, The Anatomy of a Golf Course.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Silverstix said:

Yes. Great book, very moving indeed. Can also strongly  recommend “A four iron in the soul” The author (former drummer with Lloyd Cole) caddies for world  no 400 Ross Drummond. It’s one of the best sports books I have ever read and I have read a few. 

@Silverstix - sorry for the late reply!  I just saw your post this morning.  I'm a big James Dodson (JD)  fan - read most all of his: "Final Rounds: A Father, A Son, The Golf Journey Of A Lifetime" is a great book and story about spending time with your father (before it's too late).  Can be a tear-jerker about playing with his father - has a lot of meaning to me since my 84 year old father lives with me and we still play golf on Sundays.  The book reminds you about what is important in life!

What I thought was even a better and relatively unknown book by JD was "The Dewsweepers - Seasons of Golf and Friendship" - It's about playing golf with your buddy's.  It's about the journey of playing golf throughout your lifetime and the unique friends you'll make and the foursomes you'll be lucky to play with.  At times, pretty funny and even though it's a JD personal account - those of us who play a lot of golf and move around can definitely relate.

The Range Bucket List - The Golf Adventure of a Lifetime -- is third on my list of JD's books.  It's about JD's personal Golf Bucket List he made when he was 13 years old -- and how he mostly accomplished those goals.  A lot about his personal life - divorce and then found a new love (who plays golf). Some borrowed material from the Final Rounds book, and collected short stories all related to the Bucket List.  To me, not as good as the above two books but a good read if you like JD.  

One of my favorite golf books is; "Caddy For Life - The Bruce Edwards Story" -- I'm a big Tom Watson fan and it is written by John Feinstein about how Watson met Bruce and goes all the way to them parting when Bruce could no longer carry the bag because of his terminal illness.  It is a real feel good story about there relationships we make playing golf, the things we do for friends and frankly - a tear jerker in the end even for us "tough guys".  I still get that uncomfortable pit in my stomach even writing this short review.  I am lucky enough to have an original signed copy by Tom Watson in my personal library (I collect hardbacks).  If he doesn't have this book it would be my first choice.

Lastly, another John Feinstein is "OPEN - Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black" -- I found this to be a fascinating book as a golfer.  First, I was at the Open at Bethpage for all 4 days in the soaking rain.  Second, I thought it would be another book about how Tiger won and it's not at all about that (yes, they cover that in the last few chapters).  It's really all about the USGA, how it was formed, how it took over the Open, and chapters and chapters about all the work that goes into selecting a course, preparing the course and holding a championship.  It covers the politics of hosting a championship in New York, the people, and even covers the financial side of golf tournaments - something @StogieSteve23 here is an expert.  Funny, I found this book at a Goodwill Store, put it in my library, and picked it up to read about two years later - to my amazement, it too is a signed copy from Feinstein to whomever Tom is dated 06/16/04 about a year after he wrote the book (just lucky I guess).

I hope the above helps and I'm not too late!  Good Luck with your selection....

George

• Like 2

The Greatest Game Ever Played, The Match, A Course Called Ireland and A Course Called Scotland are all can’t miss books. I’ve read all 4 at least 3 times each. You also can’t loose with one of the JD books mentioned. 

Two Years in St Andrews is another good one not mentioned yet. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 9:41 AM, GVan said:

It covers the politics of hosting a championship in New York, the people, and even covers the financial side of golf tournaments - something @StogieSteve23 here is an expert. 

Lol, thanks George.  I certainly don't claim to be an expert in this but definitely have experience and am learning more everyday.  We actually just got the contract for the 2023 US Senior Open in Wisconsin.  I've been working on that a lot over the last couple of months which is awesome.  Very interesting to now be working on an event with the USGA versus just the PGA TOUR. Whole different ball game regarding regulations, branding, etc.. 

• Like 1