Something Dotty going on ........The CSR mystery.

Just now, Bijan said:

Yes makes sense to use genuine band d esplendidos if done in period. But band d esplendidos must be expensive today.

Well, any counterfeiter should have them. I just think it's certainly easier to find some band Ds than to make them yourself. I guess they're not absolutely everywhere anymore but I suppose if this box was assembled in the last few years band D has been getting more scarce.

On the other hand, if this was put together recently the value of this box would surely have been a factor. This is a big money box. I just have a hard time believing the weakest link here is a common, relatively easy to obtain band.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vote for the 3 dot. Came to me as a gift, but I believe the original source was Cigar Czar circa 2008.

"It's always three dots above the COHIBA print on the Reserva seleccion bands!" The below online image sums it up well.  The image originates from member Maverickdrinker. Cheers Art   

Found an auction of an ARA NOV 02 box from last year with 4 dots on Esplendidos robustos and pyramids I believe.

Edit: not the pyramids

Edit 2: maybe the pyramids hard to tell on phone

30 minutes ago, Bijan said:

But these are possibly replacement fakes. So not from 2003. Box is from 2003. Cigars sold or smoked and then replaced later.

actually, box was purchased in September 2003. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Found an auction of an ARA NOV 02 box from last year with 4 dots on Esplendidos robustos and pyramids I believe.

Edit: not the pyramids

Nice work. Post a link if you can. 

10 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

actually, box was purchased in September 2003. 

If that's the case that lends credibility to the bands being genuine.

If a few more pics of 4 rows turn up I'm starting to lean towards printing error...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Well done gents Go to bed :D

good days sleuthing !

image.jpeg

Sadly, I think on the topic of suspect cigars on the market, there is always going to be "just one more thing!?"

Would be interesting to work out if there are more episodes of Columbo made, or fake cigars on the market. Unbelievably, my money is on the latter 

3 hours ago, bundwallah said:

Interesting. Years ago you sent this box to me.  Three dots on all vitolas.

Frank, would you have the box code written somewhere?

From the FOH forum, someone smoking a 4 dot pyramid in 2012:

5 minutes ago, 99call said:

I'll admit to being very poorly educated on Cohiba, (as I have little interest in the marca), but what was the conclusion on this thread?  were the four spots fakes?, or just a run of misprints?

@Bijan @El Presidente @NSXCIGAR @ATGroom

These were the first Cohibas to come out with this new band, so it could be a misprint. On the other hand no confirmation from a member with a full box with 4 dots yet.

9 minutes ago, 99call said:

I'll admit to being very poorly educated on Cohiba, (as I have little interest in the marca), but what was the conclusion on this thread?  were the four spots fakes?, or just a run of misprints?

@Bijan @El Presidente @NSXCIGAR @ATGroom

Too early mate. 

We need to see one or more ARA DIC 02 codes and know the originating vendor. 

or....4 dot examples sourced from gold standard vendors

2 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Too early mate. 

We need to see one or more ARA DIC 02 codes and know the originating vendor. 

or....4 dot examples sourced from gold standard vendors

talk about a 'rock and a hard place"

Trapped between HSA poor quality control, and shape-shifting fakers. Jesus! lord have mercy.   I cant wait for the day buyers have retina scans at point of purchase.   That said, two weeks later there would be sellers with............ A, 20 boxes of Cohiba GR's under the arm, and........ B, a few eyeballs lanced on a skewer, waiting to be scanned

Fingers crossed all is well, and there is nothing to see

47 minutes ago, 99call said:

There hasn't been a conclusion yet. We're still in the middle of it. 

• Thanks 1

Rob, have you ever seen any Cohibas with this band and the wrong number of dots? You certainly see more boxes than any of us. I've never gotten a legit box of Cohibas that deviated from the standard band of the time.

11 minutes ago, avaldes said:

Rob, have you ever seen any Cohibas with this band and the wrong number of dots? You certainly see more boxes than any of us. I've never gotten a legit box of Cohibas that deviated from the standard band of the time.

This would be a misprint that affected one or two relatively rare releases (Cohiba Seleccion Reserva and possibly Cohiba Double Corona) for a window of a few months in 2002-2003.

23 minutes ago, avaldes said:

To be honest, I never look. I only purchase from PCC so I am not looking for issues of authenticity.  

I am coming down on the side of very skeptical. At that time, they switched from the old bands to the new ones (Band C to Band D in Cuban Cigar Site's nomenclature). There was lots of conversation about how the new bands had 3 dots instead of the old two. I seriously don't remember anyone talking about 4 dots, and people scrutinized bands HEAVILY back then.

Again, I have not seen as much as Rob, but of the 3 boxes of Reserva's I have seen, none had irregularities.