Jorge Padron talks about dark and oily wrappers.

I got this article from a post @Fosgate posted in another thread today and found it interesting...

The Truth About Oily Cigars

If you've ever wondered why some cigars look so shiny, the following will enlighten you.

In a recent email, the writer noted that while attending a herf at a local cigar store, one of the store's employees told him that 'many cigar makers use mineral oil to make the maduro wrapper dark and black, and whenever you see a really dark maduro wrapper, it's because they rub it with mineral oil.' Claiming he had never heard of this, he asked if it was true.

Although it's rumoured that some factories use ethylene glycol to make their cigars look oily, to get to the bottom of it we went to one the best sources, Jorge Padrón of Padrón Cigars.

"There are some manufacturers that use some sort of oil to give their cigars the "oily sheen" on the wrapper," said Jorge. "I am not sure what type of oil it is or how it is applied. Needless to say that Padron Cigars would never even consider doing something like this. Much has been talked about oily wrappers and how consumers should look upon this as a positive attribute of a cigar. At Padron we look at oily wrappers as wrappers that have not been fermented completely."

Humberto Gonzalez, a former sales rep for Jesus Fuego Cigars said, "I learned quite a bit about tobacco processing in my travels with Jesus Fuego, and Jesus concurs with Jorge. Shiny wrappers are attractive to the American eye because we, as Americans, love big shiny things. When I did cigar events, I made a point of schooling people into escaping that mindset and used Padron as the example. There is no such thing as a shiny, oily, Padron cigar; yet, they are at the top of their game."

Additionally, as Jorge points out above, during the fermentation process, the trick is to remove as much oil from the wrapper leaf as possible without enitrely drying it out.

Your thoughts?

~ Gary Korb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• PuroDan changed the title to Jorge Padron talks about dark and oily wrappers.
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boy oh boy, some strong opinions in this thread without ever having stepped inside a factory in Nicaragua. Grab a cigar, a coffee, and get comfortable. You're pretty misinformed. Drew Estate te

The Surgeon is nailing it for me. Lol at the idea that NC manufacturers somehow haven't unlocked the mysteries of how to grow a crop, and that only the mystics of Cuba understand how to age and blend

I have tidied up the thread as the rhetoric needs to be toned down.  On FOH we tackle issues not people.  We have discussions with the intent to shine light on a subject. Tailor your posts in suc

I don't think I have ever seen an oily Padron.

It may be a Nic thing. The philosophy is certainly different among most cuban growers.

Hamlet astounded me by how many NC are treated be it paint or bethumed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

It may be a Nic thing. The philosophy is certainly different among most cuban growers.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall during your convos with Hamlet....seems like a very colourful and interesting dude 

Sounds like an excuse for not being able to produce attractive wrappers in Nicaragua...:rolleyes:

Yes, I'm sure there's some truth to it in terms of overly-oily wrappers could be problematic or indicative of improper fermentation. But the most desirable, top-tier wrappers have always had a nice sheen to them. I also don't doubt some producers do use tricks to make wrappers shinier. Hell, some wrappers are still dyed. 

• Like 2

A lot of NC's use raisin juice, oils and anything else they can to doctor it up. Then they call it "cubanesque 🤣". Have you ever seen the amount of smoke coming off a liga privada cigar? Something isnt right. And the room note of an NC is disgusting because of all the chemicals dyes ect.  As far as i know Cuban tobacco is dang near organic or fully organic? Help me out here @NSXCIGAR i know you know this

12 hours ago, El Presidente said:

It may be a Nic thing

Its a trash thing. The quality of the tobacco is poor thats why NC companies do they do what they do. You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig

• Like 2

There are some NC's I've smoked that I swear have such an oil can taste, burn, odor that when I think about it it's like this one scene from the movie always when the cigar is drenched in oil. Macanudo Vinatage 1997's are like that to me. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fosgate said:

There are some NC's I've smoked that I swear have such an oil can taste, burn, odor that when I think about it it's like this one scene from the movie always when the cigar is drenched in oil. Macanudo Vinatage 1997's are like that to me.

LOL

4 hours ago, PuroDan said:

NC's use raisin juice, oils and anything else they can to doctor it up. Then they call it "cubanesque 🤣". Have you ever seen the amount of smoke coming off a liga privada cigar? Something isnt right. And the room note of an NC is disgusting because of all the chemicals dyes ect.  As far as i know Cuban tobacco is dang near organic or fully organic? Help me out here @NSXCIGAR i know you know this

Its a trash thing. The quality of the tobacco is poor thats why NC companies do they do what they do. You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig

If you are insinuating that Padron cigars are trash, that would be a very inaccurate statement. Padron has earned top honors as among the world's best cigars, there is no disputing this fact. Whether you like the cigars, well that is subjective like anything else in life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Sorry, but for us non english speakers. What is bethumed?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ciscojohansson said:

Sorry, but for us non english speakers. What is bethumed?

I believe this is what is being referred to:

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/glossary/bethune

"

Bethune

A mixture of herbs, wine, rum or a combination of such materials used to treat certain types of tobacco. It’s a process some cigarmakers do, but few discuss. Royal Jamaica was famous for using a bethune on its tobacco."

6 hours ago, PuroDan said:

As far as i know Cuban tobacco is dang near organic or fully organic? Help me out here @NSXCIGAR i know you know this

Cuba uses 100% organic fertilizer for tobacco. Fish guts, beans, manure. Chemical fertilizers are used extensively in the NC world although I do not know who does and doesn't.

As far as the aroma of NC tobacco, I have noticed it is quite distinct from CC tobacco, however I had always put this down to the terroir. I cannot offer any opinion on whether it is a result of differences in production techniques. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deeg said:

Indeed, there is a tendency to lump all NC manufacturers in together when it fact, some of them are exemplary when it comes to this sort of thing (like Padron).  Taste is subjective, but not all NC cigars are heavily treated tent-pegs.

I see a tendency between Cuban and NC cigar aficionados that sometimes reminds me of the way most serious Scotch whisky drinkers talk about bourbon and rye (i.e. dismissive and condescending).  This place is largely free of it, thank goodness, but it annoys me when it see it either with cigars or whisk(e)y.  I smoke mostly Cubans but there are some wonderful NCs out there, and there's no need to put down one to build up the other.

Agreed - I have a 100% Cuban collection and smoke 100% Cuban but I would never refuse to smoke a Tatuaje, My Father, La Ley, Padron, Nicarao or a few others.

BTW : Nice to know what Bethune is - Betun in Spanish is shoe cream ...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Deeg said:

Indeed, there is a tendency to lump all NC manufacturers in together when it fact, some of them are exemplary when it comes to this sort of thing (like Padron).  Taste is subjective, but not all NC cigars are heavily treated tent-pegs.

I see a tendency between Cuban and NC cigar aficionados that sometimes reminds me of the way most serious Scotch whisky drinkers talk about bourbon and rye (i.e. dismissive and condescending).  This place is largely free of it, thank goodness, but it annoys me when it see it either with cigars or whisk(e)y.  I smoke mostly Cubans but there are some wonderful NCs out there, and there's no need to put down one to build up the other.

I am very sorry if i hurt your feelings with my opinion as my wording may have been a bit temerarious  . This is my opinion on a certain types of cigars that are (inanimate). I would totally understand if i put down a group of people, political party, you ect. Life is too short to let little things like this bother you (just my opinion) Remember... I am just a guy on the internet with an opinion. 

13 hours ago, NYgarman said:

If you are insinuating that Padron cigars are trash, that would be a very inaccurate statement. Padron has earned top honors as among the world's best cigars, there is no disputing this fact. Whether you like the cigars, well that is subjective like anything else in life.

No. Padrons are not trash. I just edited my post from all to a lot.

7 hours ago, nino said:

Agreed - I have a 100% Cuban collection and smoke 100% Cuban but I would never refuse to smoke a Tatuaje, My Father, La Ley, Padron, Nicarao or a few others.

BTW : Nice to know what Bethune is - Betun in Spanish is shoe cream ...

If somebody handed me a Padron to smoke, i would smoke it. But i would be thinking of a Party 898 every time i took a hit

11 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Cuba uses 100% organic fertilizer for tobacco. Fish guts, beans, manure. Chemical fertilizers are used extensively in the NC world although I do not know who does and doesn't.

As far as the aroma of NC tobacco, I have noticed it is quite distinct from CC tobacco, however I had always put this down to the terroir. I cannot offer any opinion on whether it is a result of differences in production techniques. 

I even heard that the Cubans use certain bugs to combat the bugs that eat through the leaves instead of spraying with pesticides.

Have you ever seen the amount of smoke coming off a liga privada cigar?

Liga Privada uses chemicals. I found out by accident when I left a Serie Unico cigar butt in the ashtray at night. Next day I smelled it and it was perfume, the smell of toilet soap.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Fuzz said:

If after a smoking session, you're hands look like this:

October Garden Pictures: queerbychoice — LiveJournal

Maybe your cigars have been treated with something. :P

Now that would be very extreme 

4 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Liga Privada uses chemicals. I found out by accident when I left a Serie Unico cigar butt in the ashtray at night. Next day I smelled it and it was perfume, the smell of toilet soap.

Lol. When you dont have quality tobacco to start with, you have to add chemicals, perfumes, and anything else that will improve the taste of trash. There is a good reason NC companies make "boutique cigars". On the contrary there is good reason why Cuba can grow high quality  wrapper, binder, and filler. Simple answer. Soil,climate, fermentation ect.

12 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Maybe this helps: What they look like to others

D7D9088C-BAF4-4C05-8B4E-38BB867F1256.jpeg

What they look like to us...

239944A9-5EE0-4C7B-8E28-38AA5E64BACC.jpeg

Great layout Chaz. Beautiful array of non chemically enhanced Puros

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

No, they don't (more on this below). I've been over every inch of their factory more times than I've been through the Nacional.

I will not argue because each of us can repeat this test at home. In addition, a number of cigar smokers with a keen sense of smell feel when smoking that tobacco is sauced.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

I will not argue because each of us can repeat this test at home. In addition, a number of cigar smokers with a keen sense of smell feel when smoking that tobacco is sauced.

I am not disputing that you or others feel they are subjectively getting aromas or flavors of chemicals or perfume. I am however 100% disputing that Drew Estate adds chemicals or perfumes to their tobaccos to adulterate them in any way (with the exception of the ACID line, but that's an entirely separate conversation).

Your subjective experience is not objective evidence. 

• Like 4