Low RH in 2 humidors

smbauerllc

So, I have a 2 year old 50ct humidor and a 1 year old 150ct humidor.

The 50ct has 14 Cigars in it and 2, 60gr 72% bovedas and the 150ct has 47 Cigars in it and a 320gr 72% and 2, 60gr 72% bovedas in it and the humidity wont go above 60 in either.

Both humidors held right around 64% with 65% bovadas up until about Christmas when they suddenly dropped to 60% with no changes except for adding a 320gr 65% boveda to the 150ct, and another 60gr to the 50ct.

I'm at a loss as to why the issue started so suddenly and why it hasn't improved at all with higher rh bovadas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is causing me to seriously consider replacing them with tupperdoors...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a set of questions, sorry if they are obvious to you.

Are the boveda packs still soft?
When did you last calibrate your sensors?
Is it correctly understood that you mix 72% and 65% boveda packs, because they might counter each other and result in strange values.
Did you recently add substantial amounts of cigars into your humidors? They could be absorbing.
Did your indoor climate change around the same time of the humidors changing?

I have a set of questions, sorry if they are obvious to you.

Are the boveda packs still soft?
When did you last calibrate your sensors?
Is it correctly understood that you mix 72% and 65% boveda packs, because they might counter each other and result in strange values.
Did you recently add substantial amounts of cigars into your humidors? They could be absorbing.

The bovedas are brand new 2 days ago.

I calibrated my hygrometers about 3 months ago when the problem started.

There is no mixing. I just replaced all 65% with 72% 2 days ago

No real major changes in stock as I only buy 30 to 40 Cigars a month and some go into each humidor, as well as a tupperdoor, so stock only increases in either by about 15 to 20 cigars at most. No changes in stock, other than decreasing by 1 per day, since going to the 72% bovedas.

No changes in climate since the problem began around Christmas, and the weather is still pretty much the same. Room temp is steady at 68deg and 15%rh with no heat on in the room

• Like 1

The bovedas are brand new 2 days ago.

I calibrated my hygrometers about 3 months ago when the problem started.

There is no mixing. I just replaced all 65% with 72% 2 days ago

No real major changes in stock as I only buy 30 to 40 Cigars a month and some go into each humidor, as well as a tupperdoor, so stock only increases in either by about 15 to 20 cigars at most. No changes in stock, other than decreasing by 1 per day, since going to the 72% bovedas.

Hm. Ok, I'm out of ideas then.. Unless some malevolent house-elf drilled holes in your humi.

Actually.. I've never had wood humidor myself but isn't there something like the need to re-season the wood every couple of years. When the wood eventually dry out, the seal is ruined. It's a long shot, but could that be a possibility?

Hm. Ok, I'm out of ideas then.. Unless some malevolent house-elf drilled holes in your humi.

Actually.. I've never had wood humidor myself but isn't there something like the need to re-season the wood every couple of years. When the wood eventually dry out, the seal is ruined. It's a long shot, but could that be a possibility?
Actually reseasoned them shortly after the trouble started around this Christmas.

• Like 1

Swapped out all 65% bovadas for 72% ones and am now holding steady at 64% which makes me much more comfortable.

Also replaced my small humidor that was the worst for low rh for a tupperdoor and am much happier. More storage space too.

Guess they just got leaky

• Like 1

I would not have kept the humidors with such empty space. A fuller humidor keeps a more stable RH than a mostly empty one, in my experience. Back when I had wooden humidors, I would use old cigar boxes to fill the dead space.

I would not have kept the humidors with such empty space. A fuller humidor keeps a more stable RH than a mostly empty one, in my experience. Back when I had wooden humidors, I would use old cigar boxes to fill the dead space.
I have read that before and try not to let them get low, but it's honestly never been a problem before. They have been low often and the rh never had a problem until December

I don't live that far from you. My desktop humidor goes through the same thing in the winter. First, in our area of the country where the wind blows and the temp plummets we have to remember how the air is as arid as any desert if not more. Great sealing humidors in the summer may not seal as good in the winter as the arid air sucks water out of everything including the wood of your humidor. A freind recently thought he would counter this by placing a humidifier within a few feet of his humidor and quickly found that his humidity shot up to 78rh in his Daniel Marshal and once moving further away from the humidifier it dropped back to normal within a couple days. Second, is while your house air temp may be 68 Degrees F, the outer walls and windows are often colder in the winter months. This can cause your humidor to drop internal temp and cause the humidity to drop out of the air giving you low readings. So main things I would suggest is to keep your humidor away from windows and the outer walls in winter. Second drop the lid on your humidor and see if it drops immediatly to the closed position or if it kind of hits that air cushion and slowly drops as air equilibriates or you have to press it down. I have one cheap humidor that I had to buy some brass screws to screw the wood teal trim as it was getting dry enough to slighlty warp thus effecting the seal. 

• Like 1