1. 1. Choose my cigar for tonight

• LGC MdO #4 (ULA MAR 14)
    • Partagas De Luxe (ULA MAR 15)
    • H. Upmann #2 (BRE MAR 18)
    • Montecristo #2 (UER MAR 19)
    • RA Superiores (MSU MAR 19)
    • HdM Epicure Especiale (LGR MAR 19)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/12/2021 at 06:58 PM

I'm going to try smoking cigars based on the month, so this month it's everything with a MARCH box date
Neat idea.

I use the tray in my larger humidor to hold my 30 Cigars for the month. I have all different vitolas so as to not smoke the same Cigar twice in a month.

I'm kinda nutty about having lots of variety available, and can't really afford boxes, and don't have the humidor space anyway, so I only buy 3 singles and 3,4, and 5 packs. Gives me lots of variety and fits my budget for a 1 Cigar a day purchase each month.

I select my months worth based on how many i have of different vitolas in stock. The ones i have more of get 1 in the tray.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Everything from MSU 19 has been brilliant. That’s all I have to say about that...

-F. Gump

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If the MDO#4 is/was so popular why did they discontinue it?  Is it just hype because we can’t get them anymore?  Just curious if anyone knows why they killed it.  I never thought anything too special about the MDO4 personally, couldn’t understand the cult following.  I always assumed it got disco’ed since it’s a vitola that doesn’t sell well to the masses, and this example of the vitola was good but not great enough to overcome that.  An assumption rooted in zero fact, love to hear from anyone who may “know” the truth.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

If the MDO#4 is/was so popular why did they discontinue it?  Is it just hype because we can’t get them anymore?  Just curious if anyone knows why they killed it.  I never thought anything too special about the MDO4 personally, couldn’t understand the cult following.  I always assumed it got disco’ed since it’s a vitola that doesn’t sell well to the masses, and this example of the vitola was good but not great enough to overcome that.  An assumption rooted in zero fact, love to hear from anyone who may “know” the truth.

Is it actually discontinued? I think I remember reading a theory that the production of the Serie D No. 5 RE might be a contributing factor for why the MdO4 hasn't been seen for a while, but no idea how much truth there might actually be to that statement.

I'd be really disappointed if it was. I've kept my eyes peeled for any sign of its return in hopes of trying it out.

24 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

If the MDO#4 is/was so popular why did they discontinue it?

As Rob/Pres is so fond of saying, FOH is not a true reflection of the CC buying public in general. Cigars that are very popular here, most people have never heard of. So yes skinny unpopular vitola, higher price point per gram, obscure brand, all probably combine to make this a poor seller in general (vs the much cheaper PLMC). Though unclear at this point if discontinued or on hiatus.

I've only ever had one, but it was uniquely fruity. Would buy a box at retail prices.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

How the hell do I know what you've got a taste for tonight? 😁 

Kidding, I've thought about posting something similar until I realized it won't matter what anyone tells me or what the vote is since the decision is made every night by staring at the stash until one or two of them talk to me.

You’re right. I’m gonna try really hard to smoke the cigar with the most votes, but man the Superiores is calling my name LOUD right now!!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silverstix said:

You’re right. I’m gonna try really hard to smoke the cigar with the most votes, but man the Superiores is calling my name LOUD right now!!!! 

That had my vote and when I cast it the RAS was leading. I don't know what happened. I thought about doing this myself then realized I'd probably still end up smoking whatever struck my fancy and feel like a fraud. So whatever you do I won't judge you!

19 hours ago, philipl said:

MdO4 hasn't been seen for a while

We have had good luck recently with non-discontinued but hard to find regular production cigars making a reappearance (Partagas 898, Quai D'orsay Coronas Claro) so there is still hope these may re-appear. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Silverstix said:

NEVER bow to peer pressure! I’m really curious if the MSU RA is stellar like every other MSU 19 I’ve had so far... 🤔

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 11:02 AM, Silverstix said:

I'm going to try smoking cigars based on the month, so this month it's everything with a MARCH box date

I try to use this technique to help my boxes age. Is the boxcode March? Nope, move on until I find one that is.

Of course at that rate it could take 25 years to smoke a box so I do cheat every now and then. Once a box is down to just a handful, the same month rule goes into full effect.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2021 at 3:42 AM, Richard peters said:

Have a box of Mdo #4’s ETP Nov 16 that I just can’t seem to break into. 

I have a ton of boxes that I just can't seem to break into. 🤣

First world problems.

• Like 1

So I ended up smoking the MSU Ramon Allones, because I'd never smoked a Superiores before and this box had just hit 2 years. The MdO is one I've had before, and it's one of those cigars I feel like I need to be in the right mood for - it's a delicate cigar that needs a fresh palate and full attention.  And after fighting to get my son bathed and in bed, I was in no mood for something delicate!!!

This RAS felt like it had tons of edges and elbows - a very rich undercurrent of flavor like prunes or plums in a way - but very rough around the edges in my opinion.  I could give these another 2 years and I think they'd still come out swinging like Tyson

17 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

I try to use this technique to help my boxes age. Is the boxcode March? Nope, move on until I find one that is.

Of course at that rate it could take 25 years to smoke a box so I do cheat every now and then. Once a box is down to just a handful, the same month rule goes into full effect.

Yeah I have a bunch of boxes coming up on 2 or 3 years in 2021, figured this was a good method to start sampling.  

• Like 3