How should I keep my humidor at 70 degrees Fahrenheit?

Bigfatpuff

Ideally storage temps should be on the lower side, but considering average temperature in Cuba is right around your current conditions, you probably don’t have too much to worry about.   I have no idea how widespread AC is in Cuba, but I would imagine not very much.

• Like 1

• JohnS changed the title to How should I keep my humidor at 70 degrees Fahrenheit?
19 minutes ago, Bigfatpuff said:

These days are about 78 degree outside. Not that hot to turn on Air Conditioning.

So inside your home is 78 degrees and you do not turn on AC?  Wow.  In states we couldn't handle that.  Why is every office building and mall in Asia so cold then?

If your place is in the high 70's inside, do not let the humidity in your humidor creep too high.  I'd keep it in the low 60's.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

If your place is in the high 70's inside, do not let the humidity in your humidor creep too high.  I'd keep it in the low 60's.

Actually, the opposite. Higher humidor temps cause more moisture loss. At 78°, I'd want an rH at least 65. The OP should be fine at 78/66. The only issue is that as temp rises it becomes more difficult to keep rH stable. 78° isn't the end of the world but it becomes more challenging to constantly maintain 65-66 rH.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:
So inside your home is 78 degrees and you do not turn on AC?  Wow.  In states we couldn't handle that.  Why is every office building and mall in Asia so cold then?

Well, in the office buildings and malls, the temperature is around 64 to 68 degree, not only to keep cool, but also keep low humidity.
77-78 degree is not that hot here. We have a long summer here, around 86 degree to 90 degree, that’s when you turn on your AC all day.

@UpInSmoak, @NSXCIGAR

Thanks very much for the advice.
The humidity has been quite stable for some time. I will try to closely monitor the temperature, if it goes higher, I will turn AC on. Thanks.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Actually, the opposite. Higher humidor temps cause more moisture loss. At 78°, I'd want an rH at least 65. The OP should be fine at 78/66. The only issue is that as temp rises it becomes more difficult to keep rH stable. 78° isn't the end of the world but it becomes more challenging to constantly maintain 65-66 rH.

High temps and higher humidity is more likely to cause beetle problems.  Best to keep the humidity lower if temps get up.

4 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

High temps and higher humidity is more likely to cause beetle problems.  Best to keep the humidity lower if temps get up.

rh below 73% has little effect on beetles. Temps would have to be in the low 90s to necessitate an rH that high and indoor temps that high aren't realistic unless you live in Death Valley. And in that case good luck getting your rH to 73 aside from the problems associated with storing cigars at temps that high. 

Over 70°, expect beetle eggs to hatch unless humidity is very low. Like 50% which would be very difficult to achieve and would turn cigars to dust at temps above 60°. 

At 78° all boxes should be frozen before entering the humidor. 78/65 is perfectly fine if it can be maintained. It's a little high for 10+ year aging however.