Do You care About Packaging?

this is an interesting article and though not directly about cigars, it is certainly relevant. 

I found some of the commentary enlightening. :cigar:

DO YOU CARE ABOUT PACKAGING?

Friday 5th of March 2021. 

https://www.permanentstyle.com/2021/03/do-you-care-about-packaging.html#comment-1882959

hermesboxes-580x386.jpg

Although I'm not one for big brand-name stuff (most of my disposable income is spent on tobacco) I think if done correctly some nice packaging can be the 'cherry on top' of a good product. But for obvious reasons, it can't be the main focus.

After all, a dog turd in a Tom Ford box is still a dog turd...

• Like 3

I did enjoy reading these two comments. It shows why HSA (and others) do what they do. 

"Once you receive something packaged exquisitely, you value it more.

It is why more packages are featuring that matte texture (implied quality, and value). It is why phones and computers come encased like fine jewelry.

The Japanese have known this for centuries.

Fine watches are valued more if they come with the original packages.

The last two credit cards I have received have come in wooden boxes! If banks (who have obviously done extensive research into what is important), believe packaging, and presentation is important, you know it is…."

___________________________________________________________________________________

"A bit shocked by the comments insisting the chap is a snob or fool. This was a really thoughtful piece on the pros and cons. Nice packaging can be very much a part of the experience and if you look at watch box inflation definitely a consumer preference. Think Patek going from boxes barely bigger than the watch to lacquered wood boxes that would double as a high end humidor with a bit of cedar lining, Omega has brought the box size and complexity to almost comic levels where for a long time they came in little plastic boxes, or even Rolex with similar but ever bigger and more elaborate versions of the green box with crown. With many brands it is very much part and parcel and just exquisitely done: Hermes, Cartier, and yes even Mr. Porter (I still have a fantastic trunk like box from them with beautiful book liner paper covering). On the other hand most packaging is not that nice or special let alone useful for anything else and just gets tossed. Now if you are in the shop you can always say “no box please” or “I have a bag”. Not so by mail. Offering the eco option when ordering is certainly a good suggestion, although of course it means two sets of packaging for PS. The really important suggestion for non-essential packaging (like the nice box versus the bubble wrap or protective covers) is to make it nice enough for people to really appreciate and even want to keep, and if you are really at it, to make it easily re-employable: For example, if it is a box, make any inserts or item holders easily removable without making the inside look ugly. Not hard to do, just requires a bit of design. Wish cartier would do that, the boxes are beautiful but each one has a fixed interior designed for the shape of its contents and you would destroy the lined interior trying to remove it… With some imagination you could also provide little internal dividers with suggestions on that the box might be good for holding or organising. Just a thought."

• Like 2

Fine line between cost/profit and identity branding. Get a nice pretty box only to have the Blue Clowns with USPS use your package for late night warehouse football like they did with one of my boxes of CC's the other day. So to protect your packaging of your goods, how much additional revenue to you sacrifice in padding and protecting your goods and their packaging?

b4gcA3rX9hJblX0XCVqZ3cXhaEZDxODarDqSSmyd05GYVncy183jlmbN6qx9ezuaphvPBCv720YaRRq8rO572LXvmD6yPl9fGwNIuF1gXIq4vHB2mu6GVufF8IYBVfu6gLRTO7_g_UD2lTlgVGdbnF75xEAs0gQKr9KFLkCQyHfd5I5l8Tt-t9Cg8Q3PeyJiQaoJXVE8LJjAi431gZIubBjgFcPqdPAQduCsuCiARou6G6nSHvnhuSyt0ikX5tHacijI49Le5_GzjMxFvA3Xc2hHZ1SgLX8LK31fSwDeS_B9nV-i0U1h0BCYeSZix4YHS6IuGUckEYd5H4wlVUHEIROIDQ8esSGbodvUvK-LJuEiN3FZdL7FsBqE_EJ_oDTpAVB9TKI08HQaHSllbwXbbWe6afI8yi8OncSdboYLGQvhI3KKDKwnYlAQC0XdbtrBg3PMal1i3Iu5nL-cOctVrE7hzgMtjwOmc6y6633wuKocqaK90ZVeVVujUGSp7VB8AeNJmTkPvgYE299ESL-dI9NgwcXpvUQcCwrkVfVbPNtg5krrrEYhS101f4xUSVrFP_7PIFW0G4cM_HatgwC2n_Z_SBpolbhrx4PhPO3kwoX3nCXdK1i83qlqud0MNIku2mVcpPIWNG63ucMH0YNnRCKnCtLRQMAVZaoeMi56YwKnZUBHXJjQQdMFqwCYMQBgKw4ck8iVtkamYTTD8FhjW3D-Yw=w1355-h1805-no?authuser=0

For cigars I care about 50 cab BN or SBN, varnished or unvarnished!

I can appreciate the thought and design that goes into some product packaging. Think Apple.

Don't really need over the top packaging though as I am sure it adds cost though if you're buying 4-5 figure products the incremental cost is probably relatively small.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Nice packaging can be very much a part of the experience

I don't disagree. I do however have a general aversion to paying extra for extraneous features on something consumable like cigars.

Empty cigar boxes--no matter how ornate and fancy--don't typically command large sums even after 100 years. 

I would certainly take into account and be willing to pay for packaging on a box I have intentions of collecting and/or reselling. But smoking--give me bundles with string in balsa wood boxes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

But smoking--give me bundles with string in balsa wood boxes.

That's middle of the road in terms of regular production cigars.

From cheap to expensive:

1. Cardboard pack.

2. Dress box (plywood, with cedar insert)

-> 3. Slide lid box (plywood, with cedar veneer)

4. Semi Boite Nature (plywood with cedar veneer)

5. Boite Nature/Cabinet (cedar box)

Here in Canada with plain packaging cigars sold domestically come in flimsy plain cardboard boxes in some hideous greenish/brown colour, no matter the original packaging. Also same color plain bands, although sometimes the original bands are underneath.

• Like 1

Packaging is definitely part of the experience for me and it usually goes hand in hand with the brand's quality and culture of customer service (mostly). The more you spend the less packaging should matter as the money is supposedly going towards quality. However, you can't have a luxury brand focused on detail / quality and skimp on packaging as it becomes part of brand's overall identity and the consumer experience.  Packaging isn't just for those loyal to the brand that would opt for a savings if everything came in a brown bag but it's also eye candy for those yet to try. 

Don’t see it as much with Cubans as with some new world companies, but I like a rectangular, flat box.   The kind you can stack efficiently in a cabinet.  I’ve had some with curved tops or in some weird shape.

I would also like to see more options.  Some 50 and 100 cabs for some of the staples like PSD4 or Monte4.

• Like 3

I like a nice box just fine.  Doesn’t have to be too crazy, quite happy with the dress boxes and slbs.  I think Trinidad’s with the latched lids are my current favorite for being functional and just nice enough.  Sir Winstons are great boxes I’d be perfectly happy with that.  Something that can hold my sticks comfortably, age them properly (no cardboard or tubos), looks decent in my cabinet window.  I just don’t want anything that’s too fancy that makes my price go up, that annoys me.  Some of the latest releases that come in the super fancy green or gold boxes are actually turn offs to me.  I’m speaking cigars only here.    Other products, packaging may or may not be more or less important.  I will say that whoever invented that super hard transparent plastic wrap-like material (think razor blades, batteries) that slices my hand while I’m trying to cut or scissor it apart deserves a corner penthouse in Hell.

• Like 3

I like a nice box just fine.  Doesn’t have to be too crazy, quite happy with the dress boxes and slbs.  I think Trinidad’s with the latched lids are my current favorite for being functional and just nice enough.  Sir Winstons are great boxes I’d be perfectly happy with that.  Something that can hold my sticks comfortably, age them properly (no cardboard or tubos), looks decent in my cabinet window.  I just don’t want anything that’s too fancy that makes my price go up, that annoys me.

This is pretty much the way I look at it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I tend to prefer original packaging of brands I enjoy more for nostalgia of the product than quality of the packaging. 

For instance I repurpose cigar boxes of my favorite marcas and appreciate they don’t typically change. Similarly I love the original Budweiser & Marlboro packaging/ logos and don’t like any updates or limited editions. 

With premium products like a watch, I appreciate quality packaging that doesn’t come off as cheap but at the end of the day I’m buying the product inside and that’s what I care about. 

I have amassed a significant collection of Lululemon bags though. I think that’s genius marketing that they continue to get free advertising by giving me free reusable bags. 

5 hours ago, Bijan said:

That's middle of the road in terms of regular production cigars.

From cheap to expensive:

1. Cardboard pack.

2. Dress box (plywood, with cedar insert)

-> 3. Slide lid box (plywood, with cedar veneer)

4. Semi Boite Nature (plywood with cedar veneer)

5. Boite Nature/Cabinet (cedar box)

Here in Canada with plain packaging cigars sold domestically come in flimsy plain cardboard boxes in some hideous greenish/brown colour, no matter the original packaging. Also same color plain bands, although sometimes the original bands are underneath.

That "Military Grade" packaging up there is just wrong. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fosgate said:

That "Military Grade" packaging up there is just wrong. 

People in this thread asking for newspaper though

Don't know how good they've got it.

😂🤣😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bijan said:

People in this thread asking for newspaper though

Don't know how good they've got it.

😂🤣😂

Yeah, it's beyond simple packaging. It's propaganda of miserable people telling you that your a bad person and suck the fun out of life. 

Plain Packaging - Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids (en)

• Haha 2

Less is MUCH more for me when it comes to cigar packaging. 

I really prefer the first photo. but if they had stopped at the second photo, I would be happy with that too. I'm not a huge fan of all the gloss and boxes that are so delicate they need a box themselves. (anything with a Carboard over box)

But, regardless of our opinions, Marketing/Fancy packaging work, otherwise, companies wouldn't spend the huge sums they do on it. 

IMG_9727.JPG.620ac0b7488692bc052c0715d2c47504.JPG

IMG_7213.JPG.65b4d89183483386810a04224723be41.JPG

• Like 2

With years studying marketing and psychology packaging is proven to have an impact on the brain and condition you for a certain experience. There is a reason companies spend millions every year on branding. When I was a kid I was obsessed with cigar boxes and began collecting them. I thought the artwork was so cool. Its safe to say if cigars were in plain boxes or plastic wrap without bands I probably never would have started smoking. 

A cigar with an ornate band that comes from a dress box or cab will taste better than the same cigar with no band that comes out of a plastic bag. The mind is more complex and has more innate control over us than many want to admit. 

If our Cubans came without bands in plastic bags do you really think we would still have a "Latest CC Purchase" thread? Doubt it... We want to see those big ass cabs of Lusis!

2 minutes ago, djrey said:

A cigar with an ornate band that comes from a dress box or cab will taste better than the same cigar with no band that comes out of a plastic bag. The mind is more complex and has more innate control over us than many want to admit. 

Maybe for some, but thats a big brush to paint so broadly with. I agree with your general assertion that Marketing works, but not universally across industry and customer demo's. 

I'm at the point now where I buy more bundles of Customs/Farm Rolls than I do individual Regular production cigars. The boxes and bands do nothing for me, flavor wise. Its just wasted money.