So. I just found out about this.....

Cohiba Atmosphere Rioja Reserva 2011

Region / Appellation: Rioja DOCa
Producer: Marqués de Tomares
Grape Variety: 80% Tempranillo, 10% Graciano, 7% Mazuelo, 3% Viura. Hand-picked harvesting.
Type: Red
Size: 750ml
Alcohol Content: 14%

Some links Winehut / Wine Searcher

Anyone here every try this?  Tasting notes sound interesting.  Price seems to hover around $100USD/bottle. 

Cohiba-Atmosphere-Wine.jpg.689d6107149ada7552cf77a659475104.jpg

• Like 2

Their own branded Reserva is like $30-40 wine at best.  Looks like it's been in the works for a while or were able to put the label & foil on after the wine was bottled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Their own branded Reserva is like $30-40 wine at best.  Looks like it's been in the works for a while or were able to put the label & foil on after the wine was bottled.

This is what I was wondering about. That it was a rebranding of an existing wine.  I've never seen a Rioja bottle in that range before. Not that I've been looking for one either. :)

• Like 1

For $100 I would expect to be at least be getting a gran reserva. $100 goes a long ways in Rioja.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

pretty sure that this was served at one of the festival dinners we went to ages ago. thought it was a pretty good good wine at the time. but this would be 10-12 years ago so no idea what vintage. 

Was it 2011?  That's the vintage on the bottle. Unless there were previous ones.  I didnt think the Cohiba Atmosphere brand was at least 10 years old yet. Guess I'm wrong.

On 3/14/2021 at 1:51 AM, PurosyVino said:

Was it 2011?  That's the vintage on the bottle. Unless there were previous ones.  I didnt think the Cohiba Atmosphere brand was at least 10 years old yet. Guess I'm wrong.

The first Cohiba Atmosphere was opened in Tokyo in 2007. There is a 2010 vintage of the Gran Reserva.

May be an image of text that says 'COHIBA ATMOSPHERE COHIBA ATMOSPHERE RIOJA Denominación deOrigen VA 2010 GRAN RIOJ. Denominación Origen Calificada GRAN RE ESERVA 2010'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tried it from a friend that gifteD me a bottle too. Was generally fine. You can currently buy in NYC market Viña Ardanza 2010 and 2012 Reservas for ~$30-36/bottle, PSI 2018 (not a Reserva but fantastic blend from Pingus) for $25/bottle, Macan Clásico 2010 for $55ish, Viña Tondonia 2008 ~35-40ish...and if you want to live it up options remain vast and strong with Dalmau for $95/bottle, Malleolus 2005 for $150, Aalto for $100ish, Sierra Cantabria, San Vicente, Murua, more and more every week. These are NY prices also...other geos even better.

I would have this as a collector item more than a drinking choice tbh. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, PuroDiario said:

Tried it from a friend that gifteD me a bottle too. Was generally fine. You can currently buy in NYC market Viña Ardanza 2010 and 2012 Reservas for ~$30-36/bottle, PSI 2018 (not a Reserva but fantastic blend from Pingus) for $25/bottle, Macan Clásico 2010 for $55ish, Viña Tondonia 2008 ~35-40ish...and if you want to live it up options remain vast and strong with Dalmau for $95/bottle, Malleolus 2005 for $150, Aalto for $100ish, Sierra Cantabria, San Vicente, Murua, more and more every week. These are NY prices also...other geos even better.

I would have this as a collector item more than a drinking choice tbh. 

$100ish or under you can buy the icons of Spanish wine.  Spain is one of the regions in EU where blue chip wines aren't through the roof.

3 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

$100ish or under you can buy the icons of Spanish wine.  Spain is one of the regions in EU where blue chip wines aren't through the roof.

Totally. Many French wines to this day (not the pedigreed ones) where simply tier 2 wine Spanish regions production bought in bulk and bottled as French. Similarly with olive oil. We never had to endure WWII and similarly never benefited from Plan Marshall global access. Plus we were fairly behind to be honest industrially from our neighbors. 

now those regions like Toro, Tierras de Leon, Somontano...among many others produce nice wine in their own right under their own origin denomination. 

many great wines and generally very cheap. 

on other fun note, a friend of mine from Georgia (country) is starting a Georgian wine club delivering Georgian wine cases DTC. I can send info if anyone interested. Georgian is the place where the eldest traces of wine making have been found (not sure that counts for quality, but definitely fun for a fun night as a story).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PuroDiario said:

on other fun note, a friend of mine from Georgia (country) is starting a Georgian wine club delivering Georgian wine cases DTC. I can send info if anyone interested. Georgian is the place where the eldest traces of wine making have been found (not sure that counts for quality, but definitely fun for a fun night as a story).

Most Georgian wines are on a sweeter side or just plain sweet.  They sell a lot of them at Russian grocery stores in my town.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 1:51 AM, PurosyVino said:

no idea but we had it at a festival dinner and the only ones i ever went to were in the early days. i think it would have been before 11. might have been a small release just for the dinner possibly? 

3 hours ago, PuroDiario said:

agree with the comment about them being sweet. we never see them here but i drank them, especially the sparkling, when in russia. 

on a slightly related note, there is a recent book on the search for great wine in Georgia - an absolutely cracking story. most people end up reading it in one sitting. 'stalin's wine cellar' by John Baker. in case of any interest, i did a review of it recently.  https://quillandpad.com/2021/01/12/book-review-stalins-wine-cellar-by-john-baker/

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

agree with the comment about them being sweet. we never see them here but i drank them, especially the sparkling, when in russia. 

We have a good selection here, most extremely sweet (30+g/l) (called semi sweet) but a handful are "normal" (2-4g/l) (called dry).

Most Georgian wines are on a sweeter side or just plain sweet.  They sell a lot of them at Russian grocery stores in my town.

This is the legacy of the USSR, where there was no culture of consumption of wines and for the majority of the population delicious=sweet.

18 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

This is the legacy of the USSR, where there was no culture of consumption of wines and for the majority of the population delicious=sweet.

Talking about wine, Russia and sweetness (also champagne being talked about on other threads). According to Wikipedia in the 19th early 20th century champagne was much sweeter and was referred to in order of increasing sweetness as English taste, American taste, French taste and Russian taste.

Russian being the sweetest at a dosage of 200-300g/l!

Edit:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne#Sweetness

2 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Talking about wine, Russia and sweetness (also champagne being talked about on other threads). According to Wikipedia in the 19th early 20th century champagne was much sweeter and was referred to in order of increasing sweetness as English taste, American taste, French taste and Russian taste.

Russian being the sweetest at a dosage of 200-300g/l!

Edit:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne#Sweetness

absolutely true. the trend to dry started largely with the 1874 pommery, although there were some earlier examples. so different was this champagne that there was even a song written about it. if i may indulge in yet another smidge of shameless self-promotion, covered in a piece on pommery from Q&P. https://quillandpad.com/2020/01/23/pommery-cuvee-louise-champagne-and-the-invention-of-brut/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

no idea but we had it at a festival dinner and the only ones i ever went to were in the early days. i think it would have been before 11. might have been a small release just for the dinner possibly? 

on a slightly related note, there is a recent book on the search for great wine in Georgia - an absolutely cracking story. most people end up reading it in one sitting. 'stalin's wine cellar' by John Baker. in case of any interest, i did a review of it recently.  https://quillandpad.com/2021/01/12/book-review-stalins-wine-cellar-by-john-baker/

Thanks Ken I’ll check it out

Its a nice surprise to read about Georgian wines! As Georgian i can tell you that in Georgia we drink mostly dry wines and more white then red. In post Soviet countries and China we export a big number of semi sweet wines and mostly red. I think the most interesting  is ancient Georgian traditional Qvevri wine-making method.

• Like 1

Just now, Paso said:

Its a nice surprise to read about Georgian wines! As Georgian i can tell you that in Georgia we drink mostly dry wines and more white then red. In post Soviet countries and China we export a big number of semi sweet wines and mostly red. I think the most interesting  is ancient Georgian traditional Qvevri wine-making method.

the qvevri are really interesting. we have some guys on the Granite Belt in Queensland using them. Bent Road. making some terrific wines. the guys behind it are planning on visiting Georgia as soon as possible.

they are not the only ones. several others as well. 

4 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

the qvevri are really interesting. we have some guys on the Granite Belt in Queensland using them. Bent Road. making some terrific wines. the guys behind it are planning on visiting Georgia as soon as possible.

they are not the only ones. several others as well. 

I can't imagine that someone using qvevri in Australia! I am really surprised 

6 hours ago, nKostyan said:

I had a really good bottle of Massandra fortified wine from Nicholas II's own vineyard.  It was a 1940's vintage, possibly older.  Was almost 20 years ago and was quite attractively priced compared to port of a similar vintage.  One of the better non Portugal fortified wines I have had.