Can NC companies be trusted?

Lately there have been threads posted about NC's. One well known cigar manufacture says one thing, another supposed expert says something different. A quote here, a quote there. People claim that they their fingers and lips get stained while smoking certain kinds of them. What wrapper/binder/filler are you getting? So whats really in them and can the NC companies be trusted? Your thoughts.

1 hour ago, Enduin said:

I think the mistake is generalizing NCs as if they were one conglomerate that follows the same methods and philosophy.

I don't really see that happening. The issue is that there are an awful lot of NC producers that engage in questionable practices and the ones that don't could probably do a better job at distinguishing themselves. 

But short of a governing body determining what is Scotch whisky or Cognac brandy or Champagne sparkling wine it's pretty much either you like the product or you don't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enduin said:

I think the mistake is generalizing NCs as if they were one conglomerate that follows the same methods and philosophy. This is not any different that NC fanboys saying all Cubans are inconsistent, plugged, whatever. If anything with CCs you actually do have one company (Habanos S.A.) that does have a certain philosophy and MO. And in spite of that we know that there are Cuban factories doing a better job than others, or some years being better than others.

Some NC brands are 100% legit, others are not. Depends on the brand. 

When I was smoking NCs I liked most cigars made by the Eiroas and Christian Eiroa in particular. Illusione cigars are also good cigars, and they made one in particular (Illusione fume d'amour) that was rolled with no ligero but it was VERY flavorful, something very much against the NC trend. The La Palina Goldie was a solid cigar, smooth and flavorful, but quite overpriced. I'm pretty confident these companies are not doing anything sketchy. 

I'm not a big fan of Fuente, My Father, Tatuaje, Padron, but I'm still pretty confident the quality is good, just not a fan of the flavor profile.

When it comes to brands like Rocky Patel, Alec Bradley, Drew Estate, and some other big brands I think it's hit or miss. Like many mainstream companies there might be some shenanigans but they also some times make something legit. I did actually like the original Prensado in corona gorda format quite a bit, but never liked it the following years and haven't liked any other AB offerings. 

Then you have the Gurkhas and other lower tier or gimmicky where shenanigans are almost guaranteed. 

I should have been a bit more thorough in my post. I dont mean all NC companies. The reason i started this thread is because of the accusations of Padron using a mexican wrapper. Obviously its just an accusation. If true it's a bit shocking to me as Padron is well respected. How credible is the website? I couldnt answer that. Cigar Aficionado and the rest of the well respected sites list Padron as a puro

• Haha 1

The day we smoke politicians and elect cigars is the day I’ll start losing sleep over their integrity. Enough to worry about as it is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

The day we smoke politicians and elect cigars is the day I’ll start losing sleep over their integrity. Enough to worry about as it is. 

Good point.

9 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

You must not get much sleep 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

With cigars, either you like it or you don't. I'll smoke a used werewolf tampon if it tastes good.

We only smoke rosado werewolf tampons thank you very much...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, PuroDan said:

I should have been a bit more thorough in my post. I dont mean all NC companies. The reason i started this thread is because of the accusations of Padron using a mexican wrapper. Obviously its just an accusation. If true it's a bit shocking to me as Padron is well respected. How credible is the website? I couldnt answer that. Cigar Aficionado and the rest of the well respected sites list Padron as a puro

Tobacco origin is considered a small lie and nobody cares.  It’s regarded more as marketing information than technical information.

1 minute ago, Kevin48438 said:

Tobacco origin is considered a small lie and nobody cares.  It’s regarded more as marketing information than technical information.

Again... In the NC world. Me personally, I care what is in and on my cigar. Just me

1 minute ago, Kevin48438 said:

I like to think of it along the lines of "best efforts" :D

There are always times when something (wrapper/binder/viso) from a certain region is simply not available for one reason or another. It may only be temporary. You adjust and move on. 

Just now, PuroDan said:

Again... In the NC world. Me personally, I care what is in and on my cigar. Just me

Dan that is fair enough but the pareto 80/20 rule would apply. 

80% of their market wouldn't care. I would push that to over 90%

I agree that the question is incorrect. HSA is a single manufacturer, compared to many NC manufacturers. At the same time, in my opinion, HSA has more sins than any NC brand. It will more correct to compare Cuban and non-Cuban tobacco, but as we know, it is the best in the world

• Like 1

Mmm...a literal monopoly in a communist dictatorship or a plethora of companies in different countries and different M.O's?

At least with NC companies if you don't like the product or conduct of one company/individual, you can at least try another. 

In the past year I have been loading the investment side of my collection with my favorite NC, Opus X. Would say it now makes up 10% of my collection. Feel free to say big whoop.

When we travel, especially in the US of A, we get cigars in the lounge we visit. Padron, Ashton VSG, certain Davidoff, AF’s. We are picky, admit that.

If it was a desert island we would smoke Swisher Sweets. Just sayin.

CB

• Like 1