Factory Codes

Do you feel that the particular factory a cigar was rolled in makes a real difference?

I have never really paid attention to the factory codes on anything I have ever smoked.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Codes for mother factories in this thread: "La Corona moves from LGR to RAT El Laguito UAO>MAR Partagas MSU>TUA" Upmann BRE -> GEM (I believe)

So to summarize all the comments above, mother factories matter- El Laguito, Partagas, La Corona, Upmann, Pinar del Rio. I'll choose these 5 factories over any other codes 100% of the time w

Generally it has been a better run factory than most with a good level of worker pride and buyin. It was reflected in the end product. 

Sometimes, yes.  Some prime examples being many Hoyos from La Corona & Cohibas from Laguito (mother factories for both marcas).

Many differing opinions around this subject on this forum, it's always a debate. I fall in the 'factory matters' camp, but many do not.

• Like 1

I think as with most things with cigars it's a matter of probabilities. The best factory will have a higher percentage of good boxes than the worst factory, and a lower percentage of dud boxes, in general. But to me there will be good boxes and bad boxes from most codes. The only one who can give close to an objective view of this is @El Presidente when he gives his annual review of top codes, as he's opening and inspecting master case upon master case. Most of us would be very lucky to see 100 boxes produced in the same year, and that's not even half a dozen master cases and would be more or less randomly spread between factories.

• Like 3

The code/factory itself? No. Other than El Laguito, the actual factory is unimportant. In other words, any factory is as likely as any other to produce good or bad cigars. QC standardization across all factories has come a long way in the last 15 years. 

That being said, if a particular factory at a given time is producing a run of winners, I'll look for that. But as I've said before it's more about that factory in that window of time and that specific cigar, not the factory alone. For example, La Corona has had an excellent track record over the last 8 years. Given the choice, I would pick a La Corona box. However I just received a box of La Corona Monte 2 that were poorly rolled and tasted off. It happens. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Bijan said:

LGR -> RAT

I think at least one person @Lrabold89 thought RAT code a disaster though...

6 hours ago, Odessa said:

I heard about issues related to RAT.

I wholeheartedly disagree with a generalization that there's 'issues' with LC. Still one of the top 2-3 most consistent factories of the past few years. They do roll a ton of cigars there, but I'd choose LGR/RAT over almost any code when it comes to Hoyo...not to mention the SCLH brilliance from there.

• Like 2

I usually like the Partagas code and it's the only one that I chase but I had a few bad boxes from it as well especially late 17 and 18 QdO. But maybe I just don't like the 50 and the 54. La Corona is the biggest factory and you're bound to get bad boxes from time to time because of the sheer number of rollers they employ. But I have to say that I have some amazing LC boxes.

• Like 2

Posted this question on multiple forums and am getting basically the same answer mix across the board.
Half believe it makes a big difference, while the rest say that it really doesn't since now the codes for the factories change very frequently and its difficult if not impossible to know what code a particular factory is using at any given time.

Very interesting.

11 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

Posted this question on multiple forums and am getting basically the same answer mix across the board.
Half believe it makes a big difference, while the rest say that it really doesn't since now the codes for the factories change very frequently and its difficult if not impossible to know what code a particular factory is using at any given time.

Very interesting.

We definitely know and can track the Havana factory codes as they change. Enough people tour these factories with enough frequency that the info usually trickles out within a few weeks of a code change. Its been this way for the majority of the current code system's existence. 

This isn't the case for the provincial factories though. Some of the facilities in PdR are toured occasionally, other matches are gleaned over time from cigars produced. In general these factories are a lot harder to track though. 

I don't chase any particular factories anymore. As others have said, certain codes/cigars go on "hot streaks" but those seams can be short lived, only a limited number of bales of tobaccos rolled over a few weeks or months of production. Any factory is capable of producing stand out boxes, at both ends of the Quality spectrum. 

• Like 1

We definitely know and can track the Havana factory codes as they change. Enough people tour these factories with enough frequency that the info usually trickles out within a few weeks of a code change. Its been this way for the majority of the current code system's existence. 
This isn't the case for the provincial factories though. Some of the facilities in PdR are toured occasionally, other matches are gleaned over time from cigars produced. In general these factories are a lot harder to track though. 
I don't chase any particular factories anymore. As others have said, certain codes/cigars go on "hot streaks" but those seams can be short lived, only a limited number of bales of tobaccos rolled over a few weeks or months of production. Any factory is capable of producing stand out boxes, at both ends of the Quality spectrum. 
Very interesting.
Hadn't thought of factory tours leaking out the codes.
Have yet to have seen a list of recent codes anywhere. Guess it just happens word of mouth via forums.

Not sure if the codes matter to me anyway as I buy only multiple singles or 3,4 and 5 packs so I'm not sure if my regular vendor would be able or willing willing to pick specific ones.

Will have to ask them tomorrow and see

Codes for mother factories in this thread:
"La Corona moves from LGR to RAT

El Laguito UAO>MAR

Partagas MSU>TUA"

Upmann BRE -> GEM (I believe)

Cool, thanks for the link. First list I have seen anywhere

Just now, El Presidente said:

Generally it has been a better run factory than most with a good level of worker pride and buyin. It was reflected in the end product. 

IT'S GOD'S FACTORY

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, FireDigger said:

I've heard there might be other 2020 codes for El Laguito in OER and SOU. Is that possible? Could anyone confirm or condemn this rumor? Thanks!

No, seems to be just MAR. 

Also, what factory is/was UEB? I’ve seemed to have had a pretty stellar track record with UEB.