Factory Codes

7 hours ago, FireDigger said:

I've heard there might be other 2020 codes for El Laguito in OER and SOU. Is that possible? Could anyone confirm or condemn this rumor? Thanks!

I have been wondering about SOU myself as I have seen some BHK 52 with the SOU code.

5 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

No, seems to be just MAR. 

Also, what factory is/was UEB? I’ve seemed to have had a pretty stellar track record with UEB. 

I think that UEB was a secondary code for Partagas in addition to MSU. Some people agree, others don't.

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Codes for mother factories in this thread: "La Corona moves from LGR to RAT El Laguito UAO>MAR Partagas MSU>TUA" Upmann BRE -> GEM (I believe)

So to summarize all the comments above, mother factories matter- El Laguito, Partagas, La Corona, Upmann, Pinar del Rio. I'll choose these 5 factories over any other codes 100% of the time w

Generally it has been a better run factory than most with a good level of worker pride and buyin. It was reflected in the end product. 

5 hours ago, gojira said:

I have been wondering about SOU myself as I have seen some BHK 52 with the SOU code.

Don't know about behike specifically. But almost everything is made everywhere now. There were 10+ codes for talisman.

5 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

Also, what factory is/was UEB? I’ve seemed to have had a pretty stellar track record with UEB. 

I think UEB->SOU. Not clear what either was.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Don't know about behike specifically. But almost everything is made everywhere now. There were 10+ codes for talisman.

True.

• Like 1

Just now, Kaptain Karl said:

Agreed KK, Laguito probably only has one code at a time. I don't think it's a big enough factory to require multiples, not to mention insiders have historically stated it's rare for any factory to have more than one code (at a time).

You're also right about UEB...one of the most consistent codes in 18/19. I opened many gorgeous UEB boxes.  I don't think anyone's certain what factory it is, but it was at least rumored to be a secondary Partagas code (I'm laughing writing this after stating the 'one code' theory above lol)

• Haha 2

This was similar with UAO/MOL. Some thought MOL was laguito too. I have genios MOL and Sig VI, and there were monte A too and other cohiba with MOL. But I doubt it. MOL was a good code however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Interesting speculation on MSU/UEB, MOL/UAO

Looking back at top codes for 2018 and 2019 from @El Presidente:

2018:

1. MSU
  2. UGO
  3. UEB
  4. MOL
  5. ESL
  6. UAO
  7. LGR
  8. UTL
  9. ABO
  10. REG
  11. ASR
  12. RUM
  13. ROM
  14. TPO
  15. RAG
  16. MSA
  17. EPM
  18. UBM
  19. GOS
  20. BUP

2019:

1. MSU
  2. MOL
  3. UEB
  4. EOS
  5. LGR
  6. UAO
  7. UER
  8. ESL
  9. BRE
  10. REG
  11. GOS
  12. RUM

We can see MSU/UEB/MOL/UAO in the top 10. With MSU/UEB/MOL in the top 5. And MSU the best code each time.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

This was similar with UAO/MOL. Some thought MOL was laguito too. I have genios MOL and Sig VI, and there were monte A too and other cohiba with MOL. But I doubt it. MOL was a good code however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I have Sig VI as well and some Esplendidos with the MOL code.

• Like 1

Generally it has been a better run factory than most with a good level of worker pride and buyin. It was reflected in the end product. 

Thanks a for answering. One more question, does laguito produce anything outside of cohiba?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/24/2021 at 8:04 AM, gojira said:

I think that UEB was a secondary code for Partagas in addition to MSU. Some people agree, others don't.

I don't believe there are multiple codes for any factory. Never been a report of it from Havana and there's really no need for it. Codes rotate frequently enough and there are dozens of provincial factories that explain it. Almost every cigar is made in multiple factories, although recently it seems 99% of Cuaba and San Cristobal are made at La Corona. Cuaba used to be made exclusively at Briones Montoto (RyJ) until it closed. 

Some cigars are almost never made in Havana like Sir Winston and Cohiba CCE. Obviously Trinidad is almost all made in Pinar and so are VR Famosos. 

As far as Partagas, the only cigars consistently made there are Bolivar with only BCJ almost exclusively made there. 

• Like 4

I don't believe there are multiple codes for any factory. Never been a report of it from Havana and there's really no need for it. Codes rotate frequently enough and there are dozens of provincial factories that explain it. Almost every cigar is made in multiple factories, although recently it seems 99% of Cuaba and San Cristobal are made at La Corona. Cuaba used to be made exclusively at Briones Montoto (RyJ) until it closed. 
Some cigars are almost never made in Havana like Sir Winston and Cohiba CCE. Obviously Trinidad is almost all made in Pinar and so are VR Famosos. 
As far as Partagas, the only cigars consistently made there are Bolivar with only BCJ almost exclusively made there. 
I agree.
A couple of side notes:
-Am I the only one that finds it strange Sir Winstons are never rolled at the mother factory?
-I'll add that, along with the BCJ, I have never seen a box of BPC rolled anywhere but Partagas factory.
  • Like 1

Just now, Jonboy4074 said:

I agree.
A couple of side notes:
-Am I the only one that finds it strange Sir Winstons are never rolled at the mother factory?
-I'll add that, along with the BCJ, I have never seen a box of BPC rolled anywhere but Partagas factory.

Extremely strange about Winnies.

I also find it interesting that a large proportion of Cuba's most pricey stuff (REs/ELs) don't receive mother factory love either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

All I can think of with the SW is that as soon as the leaf comes in it goes to the first factory with availability to roll them which is unlikely to be a Havana factory. I don't think there's any question at this point that SW uses special dedicated leaf. The Havana factories are usually busy rolling high-volume staples all the time. Same with Lusitania. Rarely if ever will you see a Lusi from Partagas. I would guess the same dynamic as the SW there but I'm not sure how special the Lusi leaf is.

For example, La Corona has its hands full with all Cuaba, most San Cristobal, most PL, most Dip 2, Punch PC (massive numbers), lots of RyJ PR, Cohiba Panetelas, lots of Hoyo Rio Seco and PR. HU is busy with all Connie 1, most Connie A, all Noellas, lots of Monte 1935, Seleccion Piramides, Cohiba PE. They're pretty much balls out with regular production staples so sporadic production cigars or low volume cigars are unlikely to be made there. You'll never see SW, Sancho Panza Beli or SLR Regios from Havana. 

As far as special production it seems that they did roll most or all of the Boli Silver Jubilee at La Corona. Some Talisman also came from La Corona. So it does happen.

I did miss a few. Yes, BPC is pretty much all Partagas as are BT2/3. Recent BRC appear to all be Partagas. Also it seems Culebras are exclusively Partagas and it looks like the Capitols are almost all Partagas. Most if not all RAS are also Partagas. LGC is also pretty much all Partagas. 

But it still begs the question...if Partagas, Laguito & La Corona routinely score as some of Cuba's best factories (with presumably better rollers, etc), why wouldn't most ELs be rolled at these spots, especially any ELs from that mother factories' marcas? Meaning they'd shift some of the pedestrian production out to Provincial.  It just doesn't make sense in it's current setup...but nothing makes sense there, so I digress lol

I do realize that a handful of EL/REs are rolled at the big 3/4, but not many.

1 hour ago, Tstew75 said:

if Partagas, Laguito & La Corona routinely score as some of Cuba's best factories

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. The post just above is praising SOU. UEB & MOL came in in the top 5. No idea what factories they are. Many provincial factories have received high praise in the past. RAE and BUM come to mind in recent years. 

As I've said before I think that date and the cigar is just as important as factory. What Cubatabaco has done to standardize quality across Cuba since the early 2000s has been impressive. If there's a rough patch for a code I think it's more about the time period and what cigar it is. Bad product coming out of a particular factory is usually very limited. Limited to a specific cigar or a 3-6 month time window.

A perfect example of this is LGR El Principe. LGR 17 was great. LGR 18-19 was off. Late 19 it got back on track right as LGR transitioned to RAT in DIC 19. But LGR 18-19 La Fuerza was outstanding during that whole period. So in this case the problem was limited to one cigar albeit for a long period of time. Does that mean La Corona is a trash factory? Not at all. 

You really need all three to be able to make a determination about code hunting.  

• Like 4