How did you happen to fall in love with Cuban Cigars?

yah, my first box (unfortunately two boxes) were fake Cohiba Robusto's from a business friend. 

I gave him $500 CAD to buy me a box (and instructions to buy from a LCDH)...instead he came home with two from the "airport". :(

made me REALLY appreciate that first real Cohiba Robustos. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

yah, my first box (unfortunately two boxes) were fake Cohiba Robusto's from a business friend. 

I gave him $500 CAD to buy me a box (and instructions to buy from a LCDH)...instead he came home with two from the "airport". :(

made me REALLY appreciate that first real Cohiba Robustos. 

I have 2 Cohiba Petite Robustos in a LCDH sampler from 2019 I'm sitting on... Can't wait to try them..

I’ve been around cigar forums for a long time, starting in the early 2000s with cigar aficionado’s board.  Used to go by digital_demon or digi1d, depending on the board.  I found the secrecy around Cuban cigars irritating and the phrase ISOM to be pretty ugly.  As a result I didn’t spend much time in the Cuban cigar section or pay any of it much mind.
It wasn’t until 2007 on a trip to Cabo San Lucas that I purchased my first few Cuban cigars from the J&J store in town.  Ended up with an MC2, BBF, and a machine rolled something or other.  The MC2 and machine rolled were tossed before the first half.  I knew Cubans in particular benefited from aging and began to think it wasn’t going to be for me as the financial black hole that are cabinets wasn’t an option at the time. 
Last day there my departing flight was bumped, now I had several hours to kill. Decided to light up the BBF on the beach rather than flying a stick back that I was sure I wouldn’t like.  Lucky for me (unlucky for my wallet?) it was the epitome of a BBF, even burned perfectly at the windy beach.  
After returning home, I promptly messaged some friends on the board for leads and the rest is history.
I’ll be 40 this June and just ordered my first cabinet from Vigilant.  The first box will be Cohiba Lanceros (my all time favorite) – looks like this will require a fair bit of internet scouring based on a couple quick searches.  Can’t wait to put those guys down with this year’s release of Doubleback for the 60th bday.

What does ISOM means?
  • Like 1

Island South Of Miami
Old internet attempt to hide what was being discussed.   In the USA, saying on a forum that you were smoking a Cuban cigar is confessing to a crime.  So the paranoid would use “ISOM” to deceive government officials who could be watching the forums to bust such criminals.   

Sounds more pretentious then paranoia if you ask me..
  • Like 1

I was smoking Fuentes and AVOs in the late '90s. A friend who worked in Toronto started to bring me gifts of Cuban cigars. It too me a while to "get it" because I was keeping my smokes at too high a RH, but when I got it I was sold for life. Back in the old days people used to talk about sources in hushed terms, like they were buying contraband that could get them arrested.I finally got a couple of good sources and my wallet has never been the same. I still use one tried and true source and this place exclusively. It's been a great journey.

• Like 4

I’ve been a cigar smoker since mid ‘80s. Attended several cigar club herfs in the mid ‘90s (the term wasn’t known then). We had an international salesman in our group who brought different boxes of Cuban cigars from England. I enjoyed the CCs at that time.

I lost contact with that gentleman and continued to enjoy NC for a couple more decades. Just recently I have jumped back on the CC wagon and am enjoying the Cuban nuances. 

• Like 4