Spanish cedar wood or Canada cedar wood For A Humidor?

Sukie

Spanish cedar wood or Canada cedar wood ?

Both of the Spanish cedar wood and Canada cedar wood are quality options to consider for a humidor. Spanish cedar is considered the best wood for a cigar humidor, as this wood is very good at withstanding humidity and maintaining temperature. 

Here we would like to introduce them in below 2 aspects:

1) Benefit for cigars

Advantages of Spanish cedar:

Protection from Tobacco beetles: This type of wood can help prevent the tobacco beetles from building up in the humidor.

Positive effect on cigar flavor: Spanish cedar wood is well-known for preserving cigar flavor for extented periods of time.

Regulation of humidity/temperature: Spanish cedar is the most effective wood type for helping regulate the temperature and humidity levels within your cigar humidor by far.

In view of the most important factor for the cigar storage environment ---- the stability of the temperature and humidity, using Spanish cedar will be better. Because there're many wood fiber ducts and pores on the surface of the Spanish cedar, which is more conducive to the retention of the moisture and absorb and adjust the extra moisture in the cabinet, to help the humidity keep stable in cigar cabinet.

Spanish cedar wood.png

Image of Spanish cedar wood

Canada cedar is not as effective as Spanish cedar, but it is still a reliable wood for the construction of cigar humidors. And it's more affordable than Spanish cedar.

2) Appearance

Their colors are different. Spanish cedar wood is slightly reddish in color, and the color and texture are very uniform. While Canada cedar is grayish white, with larger texture, it has  larger color differences and parti-color. 

Canada cedar wood.jpg

• Like 2

Great topic! I just received my Raching humidors, and found the trays to be made of Canada cedar. I assumed them to be Spanish cedar, as the website never mentions Canada cedar as the standard tray. The sales person said Spanish cedar trays are a $200 upgrade. I was never given the option. Anyway, I would love to hear if CC is safe for my cigars. Luckily, the lining of the cabinets are Spanish cedar.

• Like 3