Recommended Posts

Myself is a millennial and I love smoking different new cigars, so in other words, I like smoking NCs. And I used to smoke the fullest and strongest ones. But as my age/smkoing age grows, I am more settled into CCs and milder ones. I jumped into this hobby at the age of 18 and it took me 6 years to realize this transition. Most of my fellow young aficionados are the same from my observation. So I started pondering is there a relationship bewteen age and smoke choices?

 

I assumed a few common changes, from young to old:

NCs - CCs

Boutique brands (eg Illusione) - major manufacturer (eg Padron)

Stronger brands (eg Liga Privada) - milder brands (eg Fuente)

Fancy brands (eg Cohiba) - regular brands (eg Partagas)

Young cigars - aged cigars

 

Do you agree or disagree? Why?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree. As one's palate develops one changes the cigars they smoke. Similar to you I was smoking stronger boutique brands along with Opus, VSG, Don Pepins and Padrons. Once I found Habanos I smoked mostly Bolivar out of the gate.

Definitely lean toward the more mild and aged cigars now. NC very infrequently though most I have are significantly aged....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been smoking for about 12 years. My inventory consists of about 5000 ncs and 1000 ccs.

Like most people I started from CCs, later I moved to US and discovered NC. Personally I don’t as much for complexity and balance as many others. If a stick produces the flavor I like, I would appreciate the consistency. I also like strong cigars. These are the major reasons I smoke a lot NCs. Some of my friends back home asked me to buy and ship to them (not for profit) so there were a few years I spend over $100k a year, which gave me access to some very good prices of good NCs.

Also it is always exciting to try new sticks, which is another reason I like NCs. Hit or miss, sometimes it is interesting not knowing what to expect.

NCs I like: Padron (1964 maduro), aged Opus X, most Tatuaje, most LFD, some Viaje, mostly pre-2016, Oliva MB3, some Warped, some Roma Craft, vintage illusione, some warped, VSG, Davidoff Colorado Clari and WC late hour.

CCs I like: montecristo, Ramon Allones, H Upmann, bolivar gold medal, Juan Lopez.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ZigZauer said:


...Hit or miss, sometimes it is interesting not knowing what to expect.

 

That's funny. That's one of the things I like about CC's...

Couldn't agree more with the OP. I'm an older smoker and find myself caught up in the subtle nuances of milder cigars mostly CC's. When I smoke from my dwindling collection of NC's I sometimes feel like my palate is overwhelmed and I can't taste anything.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s also a common progression among wine lovers. Start out seeking big strong flavours, end up looking for refinement and complexity.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a millennial as well (some would say zoomer, 1997 so in-between). I can somewhat relate to what you're saying and I can see myself gravitating towards CCs and milder cigars. Yep. I still smoke both CC and NC (my collection is roughly 65% CC - 35% NC) but I don't like overly strong cigars in terms of nicotine and spiciness. A rather full body (flavour) is nice but not necessary. Complexity, balance, nuance etc. I'm not a wine guy so that's interesting and makes sense that it'd be similar for a lot of people.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been smoking cigars for quite awhile, since I was 21 and I'm now 40. While I agree, mostly, with the op I would make a distinction. I don't necessarily need a milder smoke but one with refinement, smoothness, balance and little to no pepper burn on the retrohale. I find these qualities in a wide range of strength cigars. While I tend to stay more medium to mild, there are stronger cigars that I enjoy, such as Liga Privada No.9 and an aged Opus X. I smoke a lot of Illusione, not the ultra line, Warped, Fuente and some Tatuaje, Surrogates, EPC, Foundation and Dunbarton when I'm not smoking cc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

It’s also a common progression among wine lovers. Start out seeking big strong flavours, end up looking for refinement and complexity.

 I have observed this in my long wine hobby; however at a certain age, the senses dull a bit and you will find you go back to high octane wine once again, much like you may have to turn up the TV volume 😀.

 

I loved Oz Shiraz when younger, then thought they were too much, now back to loving it (and many of the California high octane wines that seem the norm these days).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My progression was similar. But I still smoke NC's. 95% of what I stock is CC's though. If I want an NC I go down to my local BM and buy one and smoke it there or take a couple home with me. I think some of the progression in the US is first discovering cigars and buying some of the cheap samplers you see or what is commonly available at a "good price". Later as you get more into the habit your willing to spend a little more for some of the more premium NC's and CC's are not far behind after that. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also started with NC's. I've moved to almost always CC for two reasons - 1) found a source to always get the real deal (hello FOH) and 2) i have learned to smoke the cigar as slowly and as low temp as possible to really enjoy the flavor

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ZigZauer said:

I have been smoking for about 12 years. My inventory consists of about 5000 ncs and 1000 ccs.

Like most people I started from CCs, later I moved to US and discovered NC. Personally I don’t as much for complexity and balance as many others. If a stick produces the flavor I like, I would appreciate the consistency. I also like strong cigars. These are the major reasons I smoke a lot NCs. Some of my friends back home asked me to buy and ship to them (not for profit) so there were a few years I spend over $100k a year, which gave me access to some very good prices of good NCs.

Also it is always exciting to try new sticks, which is another reason I like NCs. Hit or miss, sometimes it is interesting not knowing what to expect.

NCs I like: Padron (1964 maduro), aged Opus X, most Tatuaje, most LFD, some Viaje, mostly pre-2016, Oliva MB3, some Warped, some Roma Craft, vintage illusione, some warped, VSG, Davidoff Colorado Clari and WC late hour.

CCs I like: montecristo, Ramon Allones, H Upmann, bolivar gold medal, Juan Lopez.

Your background and smoke choices are very alike to mine. May I ask where are your originally from?

11 hours ago, RDB said:

It’s also a common progression among wine lovers. Start out seeking big strong flavours, end up looking for refinement and complexity.

I just started learning wines this year. Now loving Italy (Amarone and Barolo to be exactly), and in this way, I will settle in France (maybe Burgundy?) finally?

9 hours ago, Lycosa said:

I'm a millennial as well (some would say zoomer, 1997 so in-between). I can somewhat relate to what you're saying and I can see myself gravitating towards CCs and milder cigars. Yep. I still smoke both CC and NC (my collection is roughly 65% CC - 35% NC) but I don't like overly strong cigars in terms of nicotine and spiciness. A rather full body (flavour) is nice but not necessary. Complexity, balance, nuance etc. I'm not a wine guy so that's interesting and makes sense that it'd be similar for a lot of people.

I am one year older than you and we are 100% on the same boat now. I had mostly NC stock but stopped buying them. Building up my Cuban inventory from last year.

7 hours ago, teamrandr said:

Basically once you reach maturity you stop smoking NC

So, posting up this thread means I am already on the way to maturity? lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I began smoking cigars casually at 18 then seriously around 20. In my 20's my goal was to find the most powerful blow your balls off cigar I could find. Give me the dark wrapped ligero bombs all day. This lasted for years then I began to slowly settle down. Smoked Tatuaje a lot around 25-26. Then Illusione and Warpped cigars came next which I would call Medium bodied. I dabbled into Cubans all throughout this time but mostly Bolivar and Partagas. I'm 29 now and only buy CC however I mainly look for stronger cigars. Even Partagas and Bolivar seem medium at best to me but I am learning to appreciate lighter bodied smokes. I do however wish Cuba still had some power in its cigars. There are many brands/vitolas that I haven't taken the time to even try cause I am worried I'll find them boring. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, djrey said:

I began smoking cigars casually at 18 then seriously around 20. In my 20's my goal was to find the most powerful blow your balls off cigar I could find. Give me the dark wrapped ligero bombs all day. This lasted for years then I began to slowly settle down. Smoked Tatuaje a lot around 25-26. Then Illusione and Warpped cigars came next which I would call Medium bodied. I dabbled into Cubans all throughout this time but mostly Bolivar and Partagas. I'm 29 now and only buy CC however I mainly look for stronger cigars. Even Partagas and Bolivar seem medium at best to me but I am learning to appreciate lighter bodied smokes. I do however wish Cuba still had some power in its cigars. There are many brands/vitolas that I haven't taken the time to even try cause I am worried I'll find them boring. 

Get your lighter bodied exploration started with Hoyo and RyJ, please. :P

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tommy_Tao said:

Get your lighter bodied exploration started with Hoyo and RyJ, please. :P

I actually love the Petit Royales which is among the fullest bodies CC I have found. I’m debating grabbing a box of the Cazadores as well. Haven’t had anything from Hoyo yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, djrey said:

I actually love the Petit Royales which is among the fullest bodies CC I have found. I’m debating grabbing a box of the Cazadores as well. Haven’t had anything from Hoyo yet.

Cazadores may be the fullest regular RyJ lol. I'd recommend their Ex.4 and Churchill for most classic RyJ characters.

As for Hoyo, EE, San Juan, DC and Seco all satisfy me, a heavy taste bastard. :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tommy_Tao said:

Cazadores may be the fullest regular RyJ lol. I'd recommend their Ex.4 and Churchill for most classic RyJ characters.

As for Hoyo, EE, San Juan, DC and Seco all satisfy me, a heavy taste bastard. :D

Cazzies might be some of the fullest of all Cubans actually.  Spot on recommendation on Ex4, Churchill as great profile examples. 

Rio Secco should satisfy almost everyone, full, medium, and mild chasers, just so much good flavor.  DCs and Epi 1s are a close second for me.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.