Bolivar No3 Tubos

5 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

BRC is a castrated waste of a Robustos. I don't want a light dusting of cocoa powder in a Bolivar. That's what Monte Edmundos are for.

When did they castrate it? I just tried smoking one. Light cocoa, maybe some fruit, lightest robustos I'd say though I haven't tried the open master. I remember it being lighter than the RASS but still strong... Guess that was an old one.

5 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

They existed. MRN photographed his own box in the book. Says he's aware of 4 or 5 other boxes among HK collectors. They are far more rare than the original Gold Medals. He said he couldn't resist smoking one (which makes me think he's got two boxes) and it was incredible. Earthiest cigar he's ever smoked. 

Maybe @nino can get one out of him next time he's with him. :lol3:

1) Checked my locker list and I have a box of Bolivar Tubos 3 ULA FEB 15

2) If you talk about the Especiales Nr 2 from ca. 1985 ... I was extremely fortunate that MRN passed me a partial box to smoke and share. Rare unicorn.
See video :

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bijan said:

When did they castrate it? I just tried smoking one. Light cocoa, maybe some fruit, lightest robustos I'd say though I haven't tried the open master. I remember it being lighter than the RASS but still strong... Guess that was an old one.

Long time ago. 2000. Very tame and gutless for a brand known for its power. It never was a strong cigar for a Boli, but that means prior to 2000 it was still much stronger than today. It was the most perfectly balanced cigar you could imagine pre-2000. Core of sweet cedar with earth and leather all there, all at once. The woodiness wasn't in any other Boli. Very Punch-like. 

Now I would say the RASS delivers more punch. I'd even put a D4 against it. JLS2 blows it away. There's just no richness there. It's a hollowed-out shell to me. I find the Edmundos more enjoyable and you know how I feel about those. I just don't go for Boli for subtle. The brand isn't suited for it. I want that punchy earth and leather.