Partagas Serie E No.2 vs Partagas Serie D No.4

I love partagas, and I can’t get enough D4. I bought a ton of E2 a couple years ago but I’ve yet to have one that impressed me. I want to like them but my luck hasn’t been good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bri Fi said:

I love partagas, and I can’t get enough D4. I bought a ton of E2 a couple years ago but I’ve yet to have one that impressed me. I want to like them but my luck hasn’t been good. 

I've only had 2 E2s from the same 5-box. Both had fireproof wrappers. :( If I have to choose between the two right now, I'd pick PSD4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FireDigger said:

I've only had 2 E2s from the same 5-box. Both had fireproof wrappers. :( If I have to choose between the two right now, I'd pick PSD4.

Smoked an excellent E2 yesterday. Very smooth, no burning issues. UMB Nov 18.

• Like 1

Small sample set for me but here goes - E2, light to medium body, subtle flavors, medium to strong nicotine (delicious young) - P2 medium body, basic flavors, medium nicotine (good young) - D4, medium body, stronger flavors, medium nicotine (needs time unless you're a mongrel fan).  My ranking from favorite to least = E2 - D4 - P2.  They're all good enough but the E2 stands out for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is a great question and one that I have spoken of at length with friends.  Here’s my summary.

The E2 is awesome young.  Flavorful and refined.  However, I’m worried about its long term aging potential.  Too much of its perfume falls away fast. 

I personally don’t love young D4s.  They start to shine at 4+ years.  They can go the distance as we all know.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, nKostyan said:

If we talk about aged cigars (minimum 3 y.o), then D4 is more interesting in terms of a variety of gastronomic flavors, understandable to most smokers, medium/medium-full strength.
E2-complex delicate taste, many hard-to-distinguish nuances, high strength, the cigar is more interesting for experienced smokers.
E2 is the flagship of the regular Partagas line. D4 - "consumer goods". IMHO of course...

100% agreed. If D4 is my daily smoke, then E2 is for weekend. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tommy_Tao said:

100% agreed. If D4 is my daily smoke, then E2 is for weekend. 

I’m right with you Tommy. I can let my mind wander and just relax with a D4. E2 demands my attention to get the full enjoyment from the stick. I find the E2 to have more spice, a nice sweetness in the final third and more complex/nuanced flavors that can be pulled out with attention and the right beverage pairings. Can’t really go wrong with either... both are great sticks if you like the Partagas profile. 

• Like 3