Air Filtration within Humidor

leebert

Greetings - first time/long time type of greetings...

I'm fortunate to have a decent sized humidor with room to spare buy more cigars. I also live in the great Pacific North West, home of all things rainy and humid and fungal and moldy, which can be problematic for my precious smokes. Therefore, I'm thinking about placing a small HEPA air filter within the humidor to remove potential bad guys. I've identified one that's quiet, effective, and will turn over the air every hour or so.

I can see two scenarios that I'd value input on, especially from those whom may have tried this very same thing:

• Hypothesis 1: air filtration will help protect against unwanted bad things from hanging around the humidor and infecting my smokes
  • Hypothesis 2: air filtration will help circulate unwanted bad things within the humidor and infect my smokes

Thoughts as to which Hypothesis to reject?

Merci!

Lee

I have a couple of friends that designed some custom fridgeadors. I believe they used some UV lighting in their systems to inhibit the little beasties from taking hold. I'll ask for details.

• Like 2

I have also considered using uv in my humidors. UV would be the way to go.

The real solution is just create a consummate humidor solution and leave the gimmicks to others.

Mold spores are on your cigars now. The key is denying them food and water in the right combination for them to grow.

-Piggy

• Like 3

Just chatting with my friend about this.  They implemented UV light strips by the fans used to circulate the humid air. The thinking was that all the air would eventually be subject to the UV light.  They also put UV light strips by the water reservoirs to limit/kill stuff like algae and mold forming in the water.  If the reservoirs were clear/opaque, the light strip could be installed next to it.  They designed a waterproof light fixture that went inside the reservoirs. 

He didn't recommended using the UV lights in humidors where you have loose cigars in trays. All cigars had to be in their boxes, with lids closed.  They didn't know how UV would affect the cigars beyond getting rid of nasties. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PigFish said:

Mold spores are on your cigars now. The key is denying them food and water in the right combination for them to grow.

-Piggy

^ This. So true. Everything on the planet is covered by them.

• Like 2

Piggy/Puro - this is awesome stuff. Yes, so true, there are moldy beasties on them now; need to make sure I don't over humidify, which has design implications that I hadn't thought of - thanks! And yes, Puro, measure 12 times, cut once - do it right the first time around. Love the UV solution. Hadn't considered that. Looking into it now. Grateful. Oh, can also understand why the need  to keep in closed boxes - UV typically produces Ozone, which can increase oxidation of cigars. 

Again, grateful for your input - 

Lee