Por Larrañaga Galanes

9 hours ago, Cold Smoke said:

I like the marca and the new size as well as the availability in boxes of ten. Not sure why, but I get more fun out of two boxes of ten than one of 25, even if it's not the most economical approach.

These are on my potential "buy" list, if they're not too outrageously priced.

NARRATOR VOICE: They were outrageously priced....

56 minutes ago, Meklown said:

Take advantage of the initial hype/spike in demand/price and relabel any robusto as a fake PL

You're thinking like a sophisticated crook. Real crooks are lazy. Bang for buck. If you've got a cigar that can pass as a fake CC make it a Cohiba. Same effort, $300 instead of $100. Fakes outside of the global brands are very rare with the exception of maybe Punch and Ramon Allones. 

The initial excitement for the PLG will last a few months like the Punch SdP. By the time fakers even get ahold of the boxes the rush will be over.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, juri said:

i don't get all the handwringing, i now much prefer punch shorts to punch punch's, and the price will drop just like the punch shorts did  

Because of the large and depressing trend towards every new release being essentially the same cigar. 

It started with RE's, but has now trickled into RP cigars as well. More packaging, more filler tobacco, higher cost to consumer. All the tobacco for these "new" cigars has to come from somewhere, that somewhere is other similar sized cigars in the range. PLPC in this example.

They're "fixing" something that isn't broken. I don't get what anybody would be excited about. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

All the tobacco for these "new" cigars has to come from somewhere, that somewhere is other similar sized cigars in the range. PLPC in this example.

Why is this true? Couldn't it come from any brand? That the blend is just made to be the caramel of PL, and this could be a way to make tobacco that isn't making good ROI into a vitola 10ct that will sell, even if it's not exactly to spec of an FoH? Considering the success of short punch, this seems an easy thing for HSA to approve, and whatever production of PLPC seems to be put into PCC anyway looking around the world at whats on offer...anywho, not enough information to really have an educated opinion, so let's go knives out crazy about this. I reiterate, 'gimme a box!'

I've a friend who's just getting into cigars, Cubans specifically due to FoH being about the only place worth buying from. I've given him all sorts of cigars to try ( long, short, fat, thin) and ten count boxes of 50+rg is his dream come true due to the specifics of cost and preferred size. He's their perfect future customer.

Sent by spooky action at a distance

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

All the tobacco for these "new" cigars has to come from somewhere, that somewhere is other similar sized cigars in the range. PLPC in this example.

Theoretically correct, but it assumes all the leaf available for a given brand and cigar is utilized every harvest. If this were true there could never be any new models introduced. 

Brands continue to lose models all the time so it's no mystery where leaf for new models could come from. In PL's case the leaf used in the recently cut Panetelas could account for all the leaf going in to the similarly short filler Galanes. 

HU has introduced many new models in the last 10-12 years (Mag 50, 54, Connie A/B/2, Noellas, RR, HC) and only cutting 2 models (PC, Coronas Minor). Incredibly, 08+ releases comprise 47% of all existing HU models. The leaf came from somewhere.

13 hours ago, Çnote said:

Why is this true? Couldn't it come from any brand? That the blend is just made to be the caramel of PL, and this could be a way to make tobacco that isn't making good ROI into a vitola 10ct that will sell, even if it's not exactly to spec of an FoH?

To the first part of your statement, leaf is dedicated for certain brands and cigars right from the farms by Tabacuba. In creating a new cigar or blend I suppose there could be some stealing from leaf previously destined for another brand but to retain the brands' DNA that wouldn't be really feasible.

As far as taking leaf from a lower margin use and moving it into a higher margin use, I think this is exactly what they're doing if they are in fact moving leaf from the PL Panetelas to the Galanes. 

My example with the entire brand of HU should prove that enormous amounts of leaf can be found for new cigars. I don't know how or from where, but clearly they can do it. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

To the first part of your statement, leaf is dedicated for certain brands and cigars right from the farms by Tabacuba. In creating a new cigar or blend I suppose there could be some stealing from leaf previously destined for another brand but to retain the brands' DNA that wouldn't be really feasible.

Thanks for this clarification on how that process works. PL is a pretty specific taste. I guess we'll see a Sancho Panza 50+rg next year!

1 hour ago, Çnote said:

I guess we'll see a Sancho Panza 50+rg next year!

SP is due for something, as is LGC, Dip and SLR. These days, anything under 52 RG is a winner. They did just cut the Non Plus, so there certainly is leaf available for SP. Would love to see a Hermosos No. 3 or 2, but anything up to a Genios would work for me in any of those brands. Although it seems HSA is going nuts with these short robustos lately. A Paraisos like the Short de Punch would be fine with me. 

• Like 1