Hibernating Cigar Smokers

I generally smoke on my porch, so here in Virginia, January through the end of February was a bit too cold to smoke a cigar IMO. I could bundle up enough, but my cigar wrappers tended to split or crack easily, even with dry boxing or acclimating outside, so I just switched to a pipe for a couple months. 

• Like 3

I didn't hibernate at all this winter but when I have in the past I found I almost forgot about the cigars after a while. Opposite of cigarettes it seems the longer one goes without the less the dependence if any.

Some people hibernate here in Finland. I don't, simply because I can smoke inside. I don't smoke outside when it's colder than about 2C. Just the other day I smoked outside for the first time since about August. But I think this year I can smoke outside until September or so.

I had my deepest "hibernation" this winter. Pre Virus, I had a a couple lounges that I would frequent as the weather got colder. My favorite closed for good early last year, just as things got bad. I didn't smoke at all between Christmas day and mid March. Its been getting warmer here though, so ive been moking more recently. 

We don't have Canada level of cold this side of the pond. But I certainly do hibernate. We are lucky enough to get the odd day into December and from March. But it's very hit and miss. Yesterday was 17 degrees in the sunshine. Today bit of snow, suns out and feels like 3 degrees. No cigar.

I get a yearning to be able to take a couple of hours out outside more than get cantankerous for not being able to have a smoke. I don't do cold. Mediterranean blood.

So thankfully get a few chances in December and from March. So hibernation season not long enough to get antsy 🙂

But do get depressed about the amount of greyness and darkness around. Roll on Northern smoking season. Puff away.

• Like 2

I've given up  trying to smoke in the cold dry weather. Especially since these days it means smoking alone, your drink gets cold, and your taste and olfaction are reduced. Never more will I sit all bundled up in the garage just to have a cigar, so yep, hibernator here.

Oh, that said, thanks to global warming, this has meant a shutdown really only from late November to early February.

• Like 2

Much like Wilky I gave up after a few years of trying. I quite like it now to be honest, when the warmth starts coming back I get the giddies and I start poking my head out of the door like Punxsutawney Phil to see how things are progressing

That first lighting up of a carefully chosen stick, with the sun on your face and pottering around the garden to see what's springing back to life. Feels like it's the start of a new chapter each year :2thumbs:

Looking back at what I've wrote I've realised it's become another cigar tradition I guess. I'll add it to the list!

• Like 1

Canadian checking in here. 

I do go "cold turkey" so to speak. If I cant fully enjoy a cigar... what's the point. I'm too cheap to use a heater or fix up my garage to be comfortable. The best part about it is my stock ages and I buy boxes during the off season to age a bit. :D

• Like 4

Live in PA and pretty much hibernate from November 1st until early March. I may get in a short smoke every now and then if the the sun comes out and there is no wind. Cigars are more about relaxation for me rather than a fix so the weather needs to be pretty decent for me to light one. By time spring comes around I am drooling at the thought of a cigar. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I had an email from a Canadian member who said he was looking forward to his first cigar for 2021 later on this month. His last cigar was October. In short, it is just too cold for much of the year and so Late/April-May to sometime in October is his cigar "season".  

Are there any other members who cigar hibernate through winter.....go "cold" turkey so to say? ;)

If so, how antsy do you get come April :o

I've smoked out as low as -25C in the past. Blowing snow is usually more challenging for me as it's a pain to try and take photos and write in a paper review book with snow blowing everywhere.

Also if it's that dire, make friends with people who have heated garages, or convert friends with heated garages into cigar smokers 🤣

Edit: a few years ago on a live pairing show we were pairing beer and my high ABV beer was freezing during the show.

• Like 2

I've braved the cold when I was younger, snowmobiling, ice fishing etc. Something about winter, doesn't taste the same, clothes stink worse, more clothes to wash afterward and just something about smoking when your body is trying to position itself to wedge in bretween a narrow crack while shivering and chattering your teeth is just not all that appealing aymore. I'll usually go down to the local cigar lounge on Friday or Sat afternoon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Much like Wilky I gave up after a few years of trying. I quite like it now to be honest, when the warmth starts coming back I get the giddies and I start poking my head out of the door like Punxsutawney Phil to see how things are progressing

That first lighting up of a carefully chosen stick, with the sun on your face and pottering around the garden to see what's springing back to life. Feels like it's the start of a new chapter each year :2thumbs:

Looking back at what I've wrote I've realised it's become another cigar tradition I guess. I'll add it to the list!

You're making me feel like firing up right now. Weather looks good this week. :D

• Like 1

I need to unwind and relax year round so no hibernating for me. Luckily I have a number of different spots to enjoy a cigar depending on temperature, rain, wind or sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Live in MN and have no desire to smoke outdoors so I generally go into hibernation around mid-October and emerge April...part of my retirement plan is spend the majority of the year where I can smoke outside comfortably!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2