How To Build A Humidor - Suggestions please?

GuythePoolGuy

My neighbor is a carpenter and is willing to custom build a humidor for me at a reasonable price.  Of course it needs to be built properly and neither of us are experts. Can anyone offer some guidance on where to find good solid information on how to build your own humidor?  

Thanks!

I can't say what I am doing is the best way, but it is what I am doing and I am expecting good results on a budget. 

I built just a standard base cabinet carcass, all sides out of 3/4 ply. Seal up all the seams, then layer with 1" foam and then 1/2" mahogany ply. A better option is Spanish Cedar, but for me it was cost prohibitive and I believe mahogany will do a fine job. All of my shelves will be out of cedar. Made the face frame out of 1x4 to cover the 2.25" wall depth, and to allow a good seal for the door to faceframe. A barrel lock and a couple of tension catch strike plates to complete a good seal.

I hate to be the guy that says Google it, but a quick Google showed lots of easy to interpret info. There's also some build stream threads here, like the 'wheesycab,' I think I spelled that right.

If your neighbor is a good carpenter, he shouldn't have much issue expect finding the aromatic wood at a fair enough price. 

I have an heirloom wardrobe that is slated to be a humidor one day, but I'm not in a rush, 50L Tupperware and boveda works great for me.

Thanks Trapper, that's kind of what I was thinking.  And wondering what would be a proper thickness of Spanish Cedar, or Mahogany, or whatever the lining will be made of.

The foam insulation makes sense too.  After that it doesn't really matter.  I'm wanting to build a long rectangular chest style humidor that I can set on a floating shelf in my office.

Cnote - I will check out the "wheesycab" lol.  Thanks    And yeah it's funny, we can get technical with these things on how to build and wood and all that, and then I think about stocking a bunch of stuff in coolers and tupperware and I just scratch my head.  But a humidor is really a piece of art in my eyes.  My wife doesn't agree.  :)