Random nicotine sensitivity?

In the last two weeks I’ve noticed a lower nicotine tolerance. Regular cigars that I smoke seem to be doing me under a little bit. PSD4, Siglo VI, PSE2 and a customs roll. Anyone else ever experience this? 

I generally don’t smoke on an empty stomach. Typically have a carbonated drink with me. Still, after 3 cigars in the last 2 weeks...a definite nicotine related uneasiness

curious. 

• Like 1

I haven’t had issues with strength but taste has been off lately. No idea if there’s any correlation but I got vaccinated Saturday and have been having taste issue with cigars. The four cigars I have smoked since the vax have all tasted bland cardboard and a have been shadow of what they would normally be. I also had Covid in November and lost my smell and taste for a couple of weeks then, no idea if there could be any connection from then till now. Any similar experiences out there?

I don't seem to go though spells but some days I will get hit with the nicotine pretty hard and other days don't feel a thing. That's with the same cigar and same eating and drinking habits too. Never seem to find a reason why. BTW a quick fix is to run inside and down a teaspoon of sugar. Or better yet make a sugary alcoholic beverage. My go to is a mojito 😁

• Like 2

My nicotine tolerance is pretty stable. Cigars that have kicked my ass continue to do so. And those that don't, don't.

However, as others have remarked, taste and olfaction do respond strongly to self and environment. For example, now is spring allergy  season and the temperature and humidity  are swinging. I dare say this makes outdoor smoking unreliably pleasurable. Once we get into late spring, early summer, things tend to stabilize.

• Like 2

The cigars you mentioned are fairly strong in either the tobacco itself or the size, but probably agree with others that it doesn't need to be cigar related.

I rarely feel the nicotine these days unless I'm smoking a NC which 9/10 times makes me dizzy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, La_Tigre said:

Describe the effects for the rest of us less advanced in the cigar world.

For me it feels like getting car or sea sick and I can usually feel it creeping up more and more, starting in the gut. Trust me when I say if you get that feeling... Take a break, get some fresh air and have a cold drink. 

9 hours ago, Edicion said:

The cigars you mentioned are fairly strong in either the tobacco itself or the size, but probably agree with others that it doesn't need to be cigar related.

I rarely feel the nicotine these days unless I'm smoking a NC which 9/10 times makes me dizzy. 

Should probably add that when in a cigar lounge with poor ventilation, smoke thick as fog, it too can make you feel sensitive to the nicotine. It's probably because there is just too much of it and gets even seasoned smokers. 

26 minutes ago, Edicion said:

For me it feels like getting car or sea sick and I can usually feel it creeping up more and more, starting in the gut. Trust me when I say if you get that feeling... Take a break, get some fresh air and have a cold drink. 

Have had issues like anxiety/nerveousness. Seems to come on a spell after that cigar you just don’t want to put down or the one you had no business trying to smoke in the first place (Reynaldo Maravillas).

I'll add that with allergy season here and significant weather changes almost daily, breathing through the nose isn't as easy, I can tend to huff on my cigars to try to draw more flavor.  If I'm smoking a fairly strong cigar, that huffing can definitely send me spinning.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, La_Tigre said:

Describe the effects for the rest of us less advanced in the cigar world. 

If you've not had the nicotine bite then you're lucky, I'd say. I get an queasy stomach, may get a bit clammy. One severe case, years back, I was smoking a Camacho double maduro (I know Maduro doesn't make it strong) that put me in bed. Didn't smoke for a couple weeks. 

Normally have zero issues. I did get my second shot at the end of March...I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Ill be lighting a punch punch tonight. Ill report back. 

Spring is going into full effect where I live. The high pollen count can do all kinds of crazy things to me beyond the normal itching and sneezing. I’ll get pressure headache and nausea if I spend too much time outside during the high pollen days. I’ve also found that seasonal allergies can sneak up on you; my wife was never effected by pollen, but after a few years living in the area it started to effect her as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichG-LI-NY said:

I haven’t had issues with strength but taste has been off lately. No idea if there’s any correlation but I got vaccinated Saturday and have been having taste issue with cigars. The four cigars I have smoked since the vax have all tasted bland cardboard and a have been shadow of what they would normally be. I also had Covid in November and lost my smell and taste for a couple of weeks then, no idea if there could be any connection from then till now. Any similar experiences out there?

Got my first shot 3 weeks back and haven't had any issues as far as nicotine tolerance.. Will get my second next week and I'm dreading the day after which I've heard is no fun.. I will keep an eye on this in the weeks to come... 

• Like 1

Exactly  what all of the other said. My symptoms are as follows:

• nausea
  • dizziness
  • clammy skin (sweats)
  • speedy pulse

The first two are 90%. The other two if serious. I've only ever  gotten there once with a Habanos. A Libertadores I believe. There are plenty of under fermented NC that will do this with regularity. La Flor Dominican is notorious for this as are some of the Saint Luis Rey  and El Rico Habano. Oh, and the expensive Drew Estate stuff.

Oh, I should add that a couple of gulps of sweet soda or juice tend to set me right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZigZauer said:

I have high nicotine tolerance, so far the only cigars that kicked me was LFD Limitado V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

same, been scared to try the lfd double ligero been sitting in the humi for years🤣

I've had spells like that. I think about it and seems to make it worse. The mind is awfully powerful.

Tried heavy food and sugary drinks and nothing seemed to work. In my case, my mind is/can be my worst enemy sometimes.

That queasy nicotine hit gets me too, but it's very rare and doesn't seem to be correlated with anything at all.  A five cigar day won't set it off, but a single stick can.  I always assumed that I was getting a cigar with an unfermented leaf rolled in it.  Something that had been on the edge of the Pilon and didn't get the fermentation that would denature the nicotine.  

As a 35+ year cigar smoker, I still get the occasional nic fit. Since I’m a diabetic, I have to watch my sugar intake. I try to have a small meal with a few carbs before enjoying a cigar which helps tremendously. Still, at times something is off and the queasiness rears it’s head. I’ve never flashed, but have had the saliva flowing several time. 

Got right up against that cliff recently. Cigars are typically 1-2 per week for me, except for special occasions which I reserve the right to define. Fortunately, I didn't go over but I admit, it crept up on me.  Larger ring gauge than normal, a seriously enjoyable cigar that was smoked just a bit faster, toss in a few allergies with the warmer weather and being less than hydrated and boom. I am weak.

while I've noticed many (if not most) cigar smokers are NOT cigarette smokers, clearly cigarette smokers have a much higher tolerance towards nicotine. 

My last young fresh RASS had me on my ass, then the couch...almost spinning. 

• Like 1