Smoking a few Dip 2’s young, I didn’t get the appeal. I get it now. 2019, not going to stop smoking to check the date code. A cracker indeed, PSP from our gracious host. 

Will these benefit from even more time down or does 3 years get me where I need to be?

DB494E5E-DE10-4B73-BCF4-833E6F29A9C4.jpeg

• Like 4

I’m smoking a 2019 right now and it’s great. I don’t pull one very often so they should continue to get some age on them. 

I had an ARS 2019 trini fundadores on Easter. With an inch to go on this I’m ranking this up there... What a value! 

If I didn’t have 4 boxes from 24:24 inbound and had more space in the humidor I would say another box is on the buy list. 

12 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

I’m smoking a 2019 right now and it’s great. I don’t pull one very often so they should continue to get some age on them. 

As strange as it may sound puffing your cheeks out with a slow forced exhale almost brought a sweet character to the smoke.

What an excellent cigar. 

• Like 1

I started smoking through a EML AGO 14 box a little over two years ago. They just keep getting better and better, one of my favorite boxes right now and I kinda regret that I handed out a few to friends as there are only 8 sticks left in it now.. 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gojira said:

I started smoking through a EML AGO 14 box a little over two years ago. They just keep getting better and better, one of my favorite boxes right now and I kinda regret that I handed out a few to friends as there are only 8 sticks left in it now.. 😅

I have the same box code. Yes, my Diplomaticos 2s are similarly outstanding. At least you have 8 sticks left, I have only 6! 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Still looking to locate a box of Dip2. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I have the same box code. Yes, my Diplomaticos 2s are similarly outstanding. At least you have 8 sticks left, I have only 6! 😄

😂

The problem is that the next Diplomaticos 2 box in line is RAT FEB 20, so I will have to make those 8 sticks last 3 more years. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a PSP Dip 2 a friend gave me.  Work of art.  Couldn't look any better.  Was so hard to pull, it got tossed into the trash.  His was also a tent peg too.

• Sad 1

Have had 2-3 from a RAT 20, (ENE or FEB?), all just solid cigars, slight hints of sourdough w/baking spice, but I wouldn’t call them remarkable. However worth noting potential for being 6 to 8 mos old when smoked last fall

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 11:40 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

I had a PSP Dip 2 a friend gave me.  Work of art.  Couldn't look any better.  Was so hard to pull, it got tossed into the trash.  His was also a tent peg too.

The box code is RAT JUL 20.  I'd stay clear of that box code.

13 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The box code is RAT JUL 20.  I'd stay clear of that box code.

La Corona has so many rollers that it doesn't mean that all JUL 20 boxes suck. One is bound to get bad La Corona boxes from time to time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gojira said:

La Corona has so many rollers that it doesn't mean that all JUL 20 boxes suck. One is bound to get bad La Corona boxes from time to time.

Why bother even talking about box codes if that is the sentiment?

• Like 1

Most would agree that talk of box codes in 19/20 production is pointless. I haven't smoked enough across the marcas to firmly state that, but a lot of the seasoned smokers seem to be on board with that. I do agree though that just because one box from a given month and factory contained tent pegs does not mean every box with that code will be tent pegs. 

Now if we were to bring up the batch of poor quality leaves that went into 18 BRE Connie 1's (think I have the code and month right), that would be a different story. 

3 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

That's my sentiment for La Corona. As I wrote, the factory is hit or miss due to the huge number of rollers that it employs. My 2014 EML box is one of the best boxes that I'm currently smoking from and I'm smoking from a lot of boxes. Box codes do matter, certainly not as much as they did years ago. If I have the possibility to purchase a RAT box in a B&M I'd rather buy it there so that I can check the cigars even if it means paying a little more than online.

1 hour ago, gojira said:

If I have the possibility to purchase a RAT box in a B&M I'd rather buy it there so that I can check the cigars even if it means paying a little more than online.

Most likely you may pick this box.  It was a promoted "PSP" box.  The cigars look the part, but smoke like a joke.

I've never had a Diplomatico No. 2 that has ever been something to write home about.  I'd put it at as the worst of the production Piramides for last two decades or so. 

For what it’s worth, the box code for mine was LGR AGO 2019... La Corona.

This particular smoke had a great draw, I decided to smoke it because the cap was damaged. Four giant ashes and great construction. Maybe it’s luck of the draw and my expectations were low given the earlier mediocre experiences (12 months ago), but these are progressing nicely.  I’ll report back if I pull another from the box. 

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Most likely you may pick this box.  It was a promoted "PSP" box.  The cigars look the part, but smoke like a joke.

I've never had a Diplomatico No. 2 that has ever been something to write home about.  I'd put it at as the worst of the production Piramides for last two decades or so. 

Well we all have different tastes. Maybe the Dip 2 just isn’t for you. I can’t stand the D4 for example and yet it is one of the most sold cigars on the planet. Just a matter of taste 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

thank you! can't think of the number of times i have banged on about this. identify rollers, even if just by a code, the year, definitely, but otherwise it is all a bit pointless.

by coincidence, i had a dip 2 last night. thoroughly enjoyed it. no idea of code.