Another Repetitive Torch Lighter Discussion

Hi Fellas,

Basically last week after lusting for a sometime bought the ST Dupont Defi Extreme Lighter (Older singler torch version)

Though the vendor said he tested it , every single time I have to press the trigger twice not once to light up, and about 30 percent of the time it misfires. There is obvious poor QC on finishing too as the metal edges are unfinished and the rubber is breaking on it's own due to the area where both meet.

Little history , I've used a Dupont Xtend jet lighter for about 5 years until it broke (happy with that life period) and I was wondering if I should give it another try and buy one again and if there are any Defi Extreme lighter owners 6 plus months without issues.

Further I bought few xikar lighters recently I had to give away because though they are windproof to ignite they move with the wind 🤣

I still feel the dupont has the most precise and least wind effected torch , just wondering what my options for a decent build , and long lasting torch are.

I have had both of these lighters for close to 10 years.

The Xtend has worked flawlessly  - made in France.

The Defi Extreme has worked well - made in China. However I did have an issue with the flame "doors" remaining open at one stage. This affected the ignition process. Eventually sent it in for warrantee work. Which was done in France - took a long time. Now I can't remember exactly when this was done.

That being said, in the final analysis, as much as I liked the appearance of the Defi Extreme (which motivated the purchase initially, and the supposed enhanced performance of the flame for outside) - the Xtend has generally performed better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My friend and I purchased the Extreme about 4 years ago, we have both had to send it back once under warranty, I had an issue where it would light and my friend's one the doors would be stuck open.  Took about 3 months to get it returned and tbh the workmanship was much to be desired. Had scratches on mine and they stripped the black paint of the screws when putting it back WTH!

Mine is still working but never lights first click, always on the second click but apart from that goes well and is the best wind resistant lighter i own.

My friends one has just died and doesnt light anymore.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, SinBarnizar said:

jesus that sucks dude. Looks like I won't be buying it again. I am sorry you guys had to go through such a shitty experience with a brand that shouldn't be that low in quality , especially for price.

Its weird i know but i still really like mine and happy enough to use it till it stops working, not sure what other options I might have as the Xikar jet isnt as good in the wind.

The Colibri daytona looks similar to me at a quarter the price. I used to have a colibri single flame and it was reasonable (a bit of a low fuel capacity but no other issues, and pretty solid in the wind), don't like the new designs they have though.

The girlfriend gifted me the X.tend MaxiJet a few years ago and it works like a charm. Never had a problem and it definitely is the best lighter that I have used so far. The only thing that I dislike is that I have to leave it at home when I travel and have to use those cheap plastic torches that only work half the time. 🤣

• Thanks 1

i sent my defy to be fixed, it took several months came back it wasnt fixed properly then i took it back they offered to replace it, it worked for two years ( wasnt using it for a year out of the two ) then recently broke down..havent sent it yet as its out of warranty 

having said that, i have used several brands over the years and st dupont lasted longer than others...just the price point makes it really annoying once it breaks down 

• Thanks 1

Like a lot of people on this form I now almost exclusively use the FOH lighter, available in the FOH store (I think you can also ask for one to be added to your next 24:24 purchase). When I’m smoking indoors I like a DuPont or a Davidoff double soft flame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I guess I'd like to have a Dupont lighter but I doubt I'd pay for it. The Vertigo lighter pictured is the best torch I've ever had and I'd have a hard time buying anything else considering the crap lighters I've had over the years. Pricey or not. $14.54 for two currently and the two I got three years ago are still going strong.

image.png

• Like 4

Another vote for vertigo. Bombproof lighters that work. I currently use the "Amigo" which is a single flame torch. Perfect to toasting, lighting and touching up a cigar without destroying it. Never really understood paying more than $20 for a lighter. 

• Like 2

I’m looking for a reliable soft flame butane lighter. ( no Bic/disposable) .Not thrilled with a torch, as I have a tendency to char the wrapper and over heat the foot giving sour notes upon lighting. 
any good suggestions?

1 hour ago, HuffnPuffff said:

Like a lot of people on this form I now almost exclusively use the FOH lighter, available in the FOH store (I think you can also ask for one to be added to your next 24:24 purchase).
emoji3577.pngemoji41.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the FoH lighter, but every single one I’ve had (got 4 sitting on a shelf) has only lasted about 6 months before suddenly not lighting any more, and for no apparent reason. I see the spark, I hear the gas, but no ignition. They’ve been surprisingly consistent in doing this. I’d love to hear of a solution if anyone has knowledge of a fix.

These are excellent cheap torches:

https://www.neptunecigar.com/lighters/palio-triple-torch-lighter

https://www.neptunecigar.com/lighters/palio-vesuvio-triple-jet-lighter

for a notch up I love Brizard single torch lighters. Brizard has amazing customer service too. I also love Siglo lighters. 

For soft flame:

https://brizardandco.com/products/the-eternel-lighter-macassar-ebony

I also love Dunhill Rollagas lighters. You can pick up some nice vintage ones on ebay. 

• Like 1

On the topic of Dupont lighters, I recently read news that the new ST Dupon Minijets are back to being manufactured in France and the Dupont website confirms that in the description:

https://www.st-dupont.com/us/lighter-new-minijet-blue-navy-010801-us.html

I understand a lot of people argue that the lighters made in China are as good as the ones made in France (although I'm a bit skeptical about such claims), but we are not talking about an affordable 20 bucks lighter, we are talking about LUXURY lighters, and as such I personally would never buy one made in China out of principle. When I'm paying a premium for a product, I believe that such premium includes the know-how, craftsmanship and higher production costs that derive from manufacturing in countries like France. I understand that companies exist to maximize their profit but we gotta draw the line somewhere, and I'm really glad ST Dupont took a step in the right direction. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mickey D said:

I’m looking for a reliable soft flame butane lighter. ( no Bic/disposable) .Not thrilled with a torch, as I have a tendency to char the wrapper and over heat the foot giving sour notes upon lighting. 
any good suggestions?

This is a torch but look at the Vertigo Amigo. I mentioned above that it is a single torch and if you scorch a wrapper with this one you are to blame, haha. I only use that and bics. I bet you will be very happy with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickey D said:

any good suggestions?

If you don't mind spending the money, then a Dupont Ligne 2 is in my view the most beautiful soft flame lighter out there. Highly functional, and you can get them with a double burner for cigars.

Of course, it's a crazy amount to pay for a lighter, but there we are. Don't buy a fake though.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the leads. 

1 hour ago, djrey said:

This is a torch but look at the Vertigo Amigo. I mentioned above that it is a single torch and if you scorch a wrapper with this one you are to blame, haha. I only use that and bics. I bet you will be very happy with it. 

Well I’m taking the blame with the torches for certain. 🥴 One out of five cigars get lit satisfactorily. Using a soft flame to toast and light works best for me every time. 
thank you!

• Like 1

After some number of years, my trusty Blazer PB-207 finally gave out. I hesitated to drop $40 on a new one but I did and I'm very pleased. It is still one of the finest cigar lighters I've ever used and a fantastic value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1