Another Repetitive Torch Lighter Discussion

11 hours ago, Islandboy said:

I really like the FoH lighter, but every single one I’ve had (got 4 sitting on a shelf) has only lasted about 6 months before suddenly not lighting any more, and for no apparent reason. I see the spark, I hear the gas, but no ignition. They’ve been surprisingly consistent in doing this. I’d love to hear of a solution if anyone has knowledge of a fix.

1 of mine does that as well. I found that for mine, if you look on the inside of the head, you'd find the little stub (wrapped by a spring) that is supposed to push the gas lever of the canister. Sometimes it slides slightly out of position, so I simply push it back into position (usually mine slides towards the nozzle, so I push it back away from the nozzle. 

I don't have the lighter with me now but I can try to get a pic tonight. Drop me a PM if I forget!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meklown said:

1 of mine does that as well. I found that for mine, if you look on the inside of the head, you'd find the little stub (wrapped by a spring) that is supposed to push the gas lever of the canister. Sometimes it slides slightly out of position, so I simply push it back into position (usually mine slides towards the nozzle, so I push it back away from the nozzle. 

I don't have the lighter with me now but I can try to get a pic tonight. Drop me a PM if I forget!

👍 Thanks for the tip, I’ll take a look at this. I’m usually pretty handy when it comes to mechanical stuff, but this one has eluded me so far. 

7 hours ago, Ginseng said:

After some number of years, my trusty Blazer PB-207 finally gave out. I hesitated to drop $40 on a new one but I did and I'm very pleased. It is still one of the finest cigar lighters I've ever used and a fantastic value.

I have the Defi and am quite satisfied with it, never had a problem so far.

But my preferred torch lighter and the one I use everyday is the Prince Blazer PB 207 mentioned above, never had a better torch lighter. Worth the price.

https://zigarren-herzog.com/prince-blazer-pocket-torch-feuerzeug-micro-blue-flame-pb-207/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Islandboy said:

👍 Thanks for the tip, I’ll take a look at this. I’m usually pretty handy when it comes to mechanical stuff, but this one has eluded me so far. 

Here you go, just slide it in this direction. Works for me so hopefully it works for you too!

PXL_20210409_134625815~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Meklown said:

Here you go, just slide it in this direction. Works for me so hopefully it works for you too!

i can confirm this works, after a while though, i've had to adjust it every third light. gets a little annoying.

i haven't found a lighter that will last longer than 1 year under regular use. was considering a dupont just so i can stop buying lighters, but it sounds like they require regular maintenance. say la vee.

-----dobbs

• Like 1

Best wind resistant lighter on the market.  $20.  Going on 2 years old.  Holds enough fluid to be refilled once a week with daily smoking.  If cranked high I could light my friends cigar for him without reaching my arm over.  Lights on first click every time.

1E0ED8C8-24AF-4C6A-8C57-1A85E06356DF.jpeg.f916fd92f8f7cf54ed11018df1502614.jpeg

• Like 2

Ordered a Defi Extreme lighter again this time in copper and from authorized dealer. I get people recommending huge camping site style torches , but 1) you can get something similiar cheaper that is not marketed for tobbaco from home depot 2) life is too damn short as a daily smoker for me to touch and use a finnicky plastic butane lighter which will almost have the same result minus less joy and less precision. 3) I live in NYC and prefer something that doesn't stick out like a dildo in my pocket

The xtend flame is something else , total wind proof and pin point precision to the tip and no spitting I really believe it makes about 10 percent better diff in opening of a cigar vs a xikar that doesn't have a straight flame on slight wind plus spitting , after initial opening  0 diff anyways even with a bic . Everyone is diff this is like me choosing to drive a daimler super eight vs a toyota corolla (way more dependable and cheaper) though I think smoking purely good cuban tobbaco is pure pleasure and not a necessity so I wanna enjoy it from cutting to finish!

61IpEGuJEFL._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 12:50 AM, Lrabold89 said:

Sadly, I will say from personal experience that no lighter I have ever bought has been worth my money ...always issues .....total crapshoot ... wild absolutely never spend the kind of money on a DuPont ....zero confidence that it’d be worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure that seems to be case . I was happy with xtend working 6 years daily if this works close to it I’m happy vs getting a plastic cheapo few times a year 

As far as an utilitarian lighter, I bought a Zippo Blu torch lighter. It's discontinued so I bought it new old stock on eBay. It was 40 bucks so not breaking the bank, it's kind of weird because it's a butane torch lighter that uses the classic Zippo flint for ignition. It's been working great so far, and I always read good things about the Zippo life warranty. Side note, unlike the current production Zippo butane inserts, the Zippo Blu was still made in the USA. 

Prior to that I had a Vektor that gave me nothing but trouble. The Zippo is not a looker but it does the job. I also now prefer single torch vs my previous triple torch.