I can’t remember where I saw it but I heard somebody say a Cohiba Lancero has a lemon grass tinge to it, and I was wondering if any of the Siglo series have that same note? Or is there a Cohiba in the more affordable range that would taste like that? I would love to try that. I’ve never had a Cohiba yet besides the Secretos I just ordered from 2424
Thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think a lot of people are using flavor descriptors that correspond to a specific smell they experienced. Not many people will have tasted hay, but quite a few have smelled it and are assuming (corre

That's why I am lazy to do reviews on most weeks cause I need to consciously isolate, identify, think, label all the tastes and it takes me a lot of effort. In fact on reviews I use the 100 point scal

There is a box just gone up for auction. https://www.bondroberts.com/product/view/4375/Vegueros_Especiales_No.2__1998_Semi_Boite_Nature_Box_of_25_cigars I smoked one of mine not too long ago

4 hours ago, Bijan said:

Grass and hay are typical Cohiba flavours. To me the grass tastes like lemongrass and the hay tastes like tea. So yeah many other cohibas will have those flavours.

Siglo 2’s? Thanks!

4 hours ago, Bijan said:

Grass and hay are typical Cohiba flavours. To me the grass tastes like lemongrass and the hay tastes like tea. So yeah many other cohibas will have those flavours.

I can honestly say I’ve tasted the twang but never lemon grass. Thanks!

• Like 1
Just now, Count of Montecristo said:

Siglo 2’s? Thanks!

Yes Siglo II should have some of that flavour. As I edited in my original post grass is the most commonly listed flavour in the user reviews on CCW. And to me that grass has a lemongrass aspect.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Bijan said:

Yes Siglo II should have some of that flavour. As I edited in my original post grass is the most commonly listed flavour in the user reviews on CCW. And to me that grass has a lemongrass aspect.

That’s amazing lemon grass is a very pungent flavor, can imagine it must be very twangy 

1 minute ago, Count of Montecristo said:

I can honestly say I’ve tasted the twang but never lemon grass

Grass and hay as they are labelled are pretty much unique to cohibas. Especially to me the grass. The hay I do sometimes get something close to it in other cigars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Bijan said:

Grass and hay as they are labelled are pretty much unique to cohibas. Especially to me the grass. The hay I do sometimes get something close to it in other cigars.

I’ll get the grass and hay from some other Cubans but not the lemongrass. Thank you for your input

4 hours ago, Bijan said:

Edit:

You can check CCW for flavours from user reviews:

https://www.mastermindtoys.com/account/?view=my-orders

Siglo II should have that flavour at a more reasonable price.

Petit corona is my favorite size. No matter what I’m doing I have just about the right amount of time to enjoy a petite corona, also I like the way it feels in my hand and mouth it’s not too big or too small. Thanks!

If you’re looking for this flavour in your Cohibas, then I would say go for the lighter wrapper examples, and be sure to give them a bit of age. At least a few years, but ideally more.

• Like 1

Cohiba used to have a very strong grassiness to it prior to around 2004. Straight grass, but blended wonderfully with the vanilla bean and sweet hay/tea.

Whatever tobacco they were using for the grass it was also going into the old Vegueros, which were the grassiest tasting cigars I ever smoked. Much more grass-heavy blend than Cohiba. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Cohiba used to have a very strong grassiness to it prior to around 2004. Straight grass, but blended wonderfully with the vanilla bean and sweet hay/tea.

Whatever tobacco they were using for the grass it was also going into the old Vegueros, which were the grassiest tasting cigars I ever smoked. Much more grass-heavy blend than Cohiba.

Vegueros are pepper and coffee bombs. Thanks 

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Cool. Will keep an eye out for old Vegueros but don't think they'll be up on BR anytime soon. Really like the new Robusto sized ones. Cheap and cheerful 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Edicion said:

Cool. Will keep an eye out for old Vegueros but don't think they'll be up on BR anytime soon. Really like the new Robusto sized ones. Cheap and cheerful 

Old Vegueros were brilliant cigars. And still pretty reasonably priced on the vintage market. Very grassy, like I said. If you're not into that, I'd avoid. But they were very high quality. 

• Thanks 2

I'm smoking thru a box of 14 Tapados, and they're dead ringers for Cohiba Siglos (did that just come out of my mouth??)  Coffee, cream, straw & grassiness... A combo I love.

That said, I don't find grassiness in any marca other than the above 2-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Vegueros cigars are overly grassy tasting if you want something affordable to try.

So I bought two different kinds of cheap and cheerful cigars José Piedro, and Vegueros. The Jose Piedro taste nasty that is all, i’m sorry I didn’t get Quinteros instead, and the Vegueros are pretty good not a lot of depth, and dimension, but very strong pepper, and a little bit of salty twang, followed by a slight bit of oak, and coffee bitterness, They go good with a strong coffee. Actually I’m not interested in other grassy taste,  I’m particularly looking for the one they say is like lemon grass, and that’s only in the Cohiba. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

I'm smoking thru a box of 14 Tapados, and they're dead ringers for Cohiba Siglos (did that just come out of my mouth??)  Coffee, cream, straw & grassiness... A combo I love.

The Vegueros I got right now are strong as nails, I mainly get pepper, and a slight bit of salty twang

6 hours ago, Çnote said:

It hasn't been said, so I will

Smoke them s.l.o.w. to get 

6 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

I get grassiness in Monte Christo, but not lemon grass more like a barnyard hay

9 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Vegueros cigars are overly grassy tasting if you want something affordable to try.

I don't find modern Vegueros particularly grassy. In fact, I'm not quite sure what they are. I haven't smoked enough to work out the profile, but that's mainly because I don't find them particularly pleasant. But I don't see much in common with the old Vegueros which I did like. 

I don't think "grass" or "hay" is a great description of Cohiba flavor.  I would always equate grass or hay with something green.  I get no green or chlorophyll type flavors in my Cohibas at all.  It's possible that "straw" is mistaken for "hay" simply because most people see a bale and think "hay".  All that said, among other flavors and aromas, what I do get is straw, that beautiful twangy aroma of yellow straw when the bale is broken open.  

• Thanks 1

I swear half (or more) of these 'cigar tastes' are in our heads. 

either that my pallet is dead. 

like how can someone taste hay? how many of us knows what hay tastes like? Do ya'll chew on hay or were you a cow in a previous life? 

or do we taste "hay" because we don't know what hay tastes like, but we read that Cohiba tastes like sweet grass...and we say "oh, that's what hay tastes like" and use hay in the description? 

last I checked grass isn't part of my normal consumption :) 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

These two flavours, grass and hay are the ones I just use as a label because other people use them. As I said the grass tastes like lemongrass to me and the hay tastes like tea, two things I have eaten.

Of the common flavours I label in cigars all of them are tastes and smells I have definitely experienced with the exception of the following 6: grass, hay as well as leather, earth, wood and cedar, and at least the last 4 I've smelled or maybe even briefly tasted as a kid. Oh and I guess there's also the ever elusive twang.

9 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

From another thread I thought you mentioned you had friends that consumed a fair bit of it 😂but I guess they don't smoke tobacco ;)

• Haha 2

love it!

great response. you have me laughing out loud bud :)

but on another note, that is one flavour I've never detected in cigars....cannabis.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

either that my pallet is dead. 

like how can someone taste hay? how many of us knows what hay tastes like? Do ya'll chew on hay or were you a cow in a previous life? 

or do we taste "hay" because we don't know what hay tastes like, but we read that Cohiba tastes like sweet grass...and we say "oh, that's what hay tastes like" and use hay in the description? 

I find it quite interesting that all the flavor descriptions look at single or a couple tastes like hay, pepper, cinnamon etc but you never hear cigars taste like proper food, meals or dishes. Should we start that? 

This cigar tastes like BBQ ribeye over charcoal on a game night

I swear this cigar is exactly like a Big Mac that's gone cold sitting in my car for 20 min

This smoke I had yesterday had a bit of lobster sweetness and some salmon fat coming through but the smoked squid was the most dominant flavor for sure

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Edicion said:

I find it quite interesting that all the flavor descriptions look at single or a couple tastes like hay, pepper, cinnamon etc but you never hear cigars taste like proper food, meals or dishes. Should we start that? 

I generally try to identify the main descriptor in turn over time (or maybe the top 2 or 3 at any given moment). I've seen others do reviews where they list five or more flavours at a time. Even then the chance that those 5 random flavours add up to anything recognizable is slim. This is in fact why I don't like that format. If I read a review that says, the cigar opens with lavender, ginger, citrus, fennel and twang, I can't picture what that actually tasted like.

Edit: On a side note, you do get a lot of baked goods descriptors: donuts, shortbread, brioche, sourdough, croissant, buttered toast, etc.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I don't find modern Vegueros particularly grassy. In fact, I'm not quite sure what they are. I haven't smoked enough to work out the profile, but that's mainly because I don't find them particularly pleasant. But I don't see much in common with the old Vegueros which I did like. 

I haven't had the new ones, but old line up are way too grassy for me.  Like a fresh cut lawn.

20 hours ago, Bijan said:

Edit:

You can check CCW for flavours from user reviews:

https://www.mastermindtoys.com/account/?view=my-orders

I'm at work and I'm hesitant to click on that link ..

4 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

I do think that these are pretty plausible taste descriptors - you should see those they use for whisky or other beverages!

Having said that, I don't eat grass nor hay, but I have been to many a field where grass have been freshly cut, or a barn where they store animal feed, and these have had very distinct smells. While not having tasted it, and arguably one does not taste a cigar either, it reminds me of that occasion/smell so it would be very plausible to use it as a descriptor! 

Though to be honest I don't remember having tasted grass from any cohiba before. Hay yes, and honey are much more common for me. 

• Like 2