10 minutes ago, Shrimpchips said:

Like a good number of other skills, the ability to actually convey what all the information (scent/tastes) represents is what sets apart connoisseurs from people who merely enjoy the product. 

I agree very much with this. For me it is a very conscious thing. 90-95% of the time I am mainly enjoying the product. It is through doing reviews for the various review contests that I have developed some of the connoisseur skills.

On a typical day if I can identity 1 or 2 flavours in a cigar I am happy, and 5 or more would be a very complex cigar on a very good day. On a review it's almost always a minimum of 5 flavours and I've had cases where I detected 20 flavours.

For me there's another level too, you can enjoy the product but you can go a step further and just enjoy yourself :)

For me this is having an espresso vs a latte, or a cigar with a more neutral pairing vs pairing with whiskey or bourbon. The addition of milk in one case or hard liquor in the other changes the character of the experience entirely, to the point where you're enjoying some new combination, though it is highly enjoyable and complimentary.

• Like 4
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think a lot of people are using flavor descriptors that correspond to a specific smell they experienced. Not many people will have tasted hay, but quite a few have smelled it and are assuming (corre

That's why I am lazy to do reviews on most weeks cause I need to consciously isolate, identify, think, label all the tastes and it takes me a lot of effort. In fact on reviews I use the 100 point scal

There is a box just gone up for auction. https://www.bondroberts.com/product/view/4375/Vegueros_Especiales_No.2__1998_Semi_Boite_Nature_Box_of_25_cigars I smoked one of mine not too long ago

6 hours ago, Meklown said:

That's why I am lazy to do reviews on most weeks cause I need to consciously isolate, identify, think, label all the tastes and it takes me a lot of effort. In fact on reviews I use the 100 point scale (uh-oh, another rabbit hole of debate), while otherwise it's a binary scale of buy again / avoid. I much enjoy simply enjoying the cigars and my evening than actually use my brain. 

Funny thing is I maybe do 1-2 cigar reviews a year max. Just for fun I routinely pull out flavors & describe the 'shape' of cigars as I'm smoking, but mainly just enjoy smoking w/o all the hassle of over-thinking it.

Now wine on the other hand...I have a blind tasting group that meets several times a month & we're always dissecting them. I love it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As to flavours and tastes I see it both ways.

I have had a dry pinot noir (4g/l) that had a very clear concord grape flavour, which made me think of it as sweet, but that was my mind associating the flavor with sweetness.

On the other hand it's the brain labeling flavours not the nose itself, and my brain doesn't tend to label cigars as having a cocoa flavour unless the cigar is sweet or bitter, if it's just neutral my brain refuses to detect the cocoa even though the same cells in my nose might be getting stimulated.