SAN CRISTÓBAL DE LA HABANA HARIMAU MALAYA

2 hours ago, Bijan said:

At any given time there is seemingly a maximum acceptable RG, and anything one above that is an insult to good taste.

Currently 52 (Edmundo) or 54 (PSE2) are acceptable and 55 (Montesco) or 56 (Rio Seco) are jawbreakers. 😂

I don't understand it either 🤷‍♂️

I generally try to avoid anything over 50. If I know it's a stellar smoke I'll go over, but personally a large RG detracts from my enjoyment. It's probably unfair, but it's my personal preference! 

• Like 3

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it will be interesting to see how they price these. I will know next week as there is a decent shiment coming in.  SAN CRISTÓBAL DE LA HABANA HARIMAU MALAYA Boxes of 10.  130mm x 55 

True, but we're asleep when 24:24 is posted. 🤪

Same here @LLC! I like Corona Gorda, Slim Panetela and other skinnies over monstrous donkey dick CCs.

18 hours ago, Andy04 said:

It means Malayan Tiger, not Malaysian Tiger.

By not considering the political landscape of Malaysia, PCC has just pissed off 2/3rds of the country.

So, 66% will be pissed but only maybe 2% would even know....

Kuala Lumpur is a good cigar city though.

Not my size cigar and quite high price for a Montesco from SCDH .

I'v been informed MYR 2300 for a box of 10 = Euro 467

Wow that’s insane. Hard pass!!
How can that be when the Hk boli for 25 ct were like 500 usd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/9/2021 at 1:57 PM, Andy04 said:

It means Malayan Tiger, not Malaysian Tiger.

By not considering the political landscape of Malaysia, PCC has just pissed off 2/3rds of the country.

Forgive my ignorance - what's the difference?

16 hours ago, Meklown said:

Forgive my ignorance - what's the difference?

When Malaysia was formed in 1963, it comprised of an agreement between four equal partners:

1) Singapore

2) Malaya

3) Sabah

4) Sarawak. 

Singapore has obviously pulled out, leaving three equal partners.
So PCC had created a Malaysian RE, but dedicated to only one partner.

An equivalent would be having a Hong Kong RE but dedicating it to Shenzhen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Andy04 said:

Thanks for pointing it out. I was not aware of the technicality and always thought that Malaya/Malaysia were used interchangeably. 

1 hour ago, Andy04 said:

When Malaysia was formed in 1963, it comprised of an agreement between four equal partners:

1) Singapore

2) Malaya

3) Sabah

4) Sarawak. 

Singapore has obviously pulled out, leaving three equal partners.

An equivalent would be having a Hong Kong RE but dedicating it to Shenzhen. 

To be fair it seems like there is an animal species known as the Malayan tiger and it is the official nickname of the Malaysian national football team:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayan_tiger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_national_football_team

Edit:

"The Malaysia national football team represents Malaysia in international football and is controlled by the Football Association of Malaysia. The national team is recognised by FIFA as the successor of the defunct Malaya national football team which was founded for the 1963 Merdeka Tournament one month before the institution of Malaysia. The team is officially nicknamed Harimau Malaya in reference to the Malayan tiger."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 4:01 PM, juri said:

$475-$525 for 10 cigars isn't what id call cheap not that far off of the RA/SP Silver Jubilee

Boli and RA Jubilee were ~$550 for 25s. These are 10s. 

A $50 San Cristobal...we're doomed. :shead:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Boli and RA Jubilee were ~$550 for 25s. These are 10s. 

A $50 San Cristobal...we're doomed. :shead:

Where did that pricing come from? 

You guys are way off. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, juri said:

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/malaysia-gets-its-first-regional-cuban

also https://halfwheel.com/san-cristobal-de-la-habana-harimau-malaya-is-first-edicion-regional-for-malaysia/392230/amp/

i know with the regional stuff you can get MUCH better prices if you buy them in that area aka you guys, i picked up some belgian RE at $250 a box from a site actually in belgium.... when they are around 700-800 at other sites outside that area

forgot those were 25 good call NSXCIGAR lmao 🤯

.....you guys are sharper than that. They are in country fully taxed retail prices ;)

4 hours ago, juri said:

i know with the regional stuff you can get MUCH better prices if you buy them in that area

Not necessarily true. Vendor hub regions like Asia, Swiss and West/Central Europe ERs are everywhere and you're essentially paying B & M prices. In fact, in Germany tobacco cannot be marked up by the vendor. 

Prices get high for regions that are typically not vendor-heavy, have high duties and/or prohibitions on exporting tobacco like Italy, Mexico, South America, Russia, UK, Serbia, Canada.

4 hours ago, juri said:

i picked up some belgian RE at $250 a box from a site actually in belgium.... when they are around 700-800 at other sites outside that area

If any ER that was selling for $700-800 at multiple trusted out-of-region vendors was found in a Belgian B & M for $250 I would say you found an older, scarce gem that happened to still be sitting around, and that vendor clearly doesn't sell online. I've never seen a 300% markup on any newer, available ER due to out of region vendors. 

Curious if anyone know what/if Harimau has any connection to old Havana, or spanish meaning at all? Didn’t seem to have a spanish to english translation history I could find with simple search. Similar question I suppose with Prado - any significance or just a name. Maybe SCdlH evolving away from its Castillo/Calle references? Torreón is associated to forts, and I believe O’Reilly was some general in Havana history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ReturnFreeRisk said:

Curious if anyone know what/if Harimau has any connection to old Havana, or spanish meaning at all? Didn’t seem to have a spanish to english translation history I could find with simple search. Similar question I suppose with Prado - any significance or just a name. Maybe SCdlH evolving away from its Castillo/Calle references? Torreón is associated to forts, and I believe O’Reilly was some general in Havana history.

As discussed previously it's the name of a tiger species and nickname of the Malaysian national football team. Nothing really Spanish.

2 hours ago, ReturnFreeRisk said:

and I believe O’Reilly was some general in Havana history.

From the Habanos website:

O´Reilly is the special vitola created for the Habanos Collection 2009. The new size renders tribute to a street of la “Habana Vieja”, the most historic part of the city. 

As far as model names in general having Spanish or Cuban connotations, many don't--particularly for ERs. Herfing, Ammunition and Bushido are some examples of that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

O´Reilly is the special vitola created for the Habanos Collection 2009. The new size renders tribute to a street of la “Habana Vieja”, the most historic part of the city. 

As far as model names in general having Spanish or Cuban connotations, many don't--particularly for ERs. Herfing, Ammunition and Bushido are some examples of that.

Who knew  :D

Another one of those cigars to learn about specific moments in Cuban history is the Diplomáticos Bushido.

Anyone remote familiar with Japanese history or culture will know the name. Bushidōliterally the way of warriors, refers to the Bushido code, a set of rules in which the samurai were expected to behave.

From 1613-1620, Hasekura Tsunenaga sailed from Japan to both the Americas and Europe. For the isolationist country that was medieval Japan, his visits were incredibly important as much of the Western world wouldn’t see Japan for two more centuries.

In 1614, he spent nearly a week in Cuba as part of those visits. To honor the 400 year anniversary of this event, Pacific Cigar Ltd.—the distributor for much of Asia—opted to name its 2014 Edición Regional, Bushido. It also got a special cigar for the occasion, a 109.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is what I was referring to: “O’Reilly St. was named after Alejandro O’Reilly, and Irish born soldier for Spain who gained high rank and was second-in-command in Cuba.”

Wiki says “O'Reilly married into a prominent Cuban family. His wife, Doña Rosa de Las Casas, was the sister of Luis de Las Casas, who served as Governor of Cuba”

Suppose thats how an Irish guy gets a Cuban cigar named after him

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ReturnFreeRisk said:

This is what I was referring to: “O’Reilly St. was named after Alejandro O’Reilly, and Irish born soldier for Spain who gained high rank and was second-in-command in Cuba.”

I wonder how many people named Alejandro O'Reilly there are...:D

Technically, the cigar is named for the street (according to HSA) but since the street is named for the soldier, they should have just named it after the soldier. 

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Another one of those cigars to learn about specific moments in Cuban history is the Diplomáticos Bushido.

Yes, I momentarily forgot Bushido had some connection. I had to look up the Herfing and Ammunition to be sure... 

Obviously Herfing is just the verb form of "to Herf" as expected. And Ammunition, according to HSA, also does not: The name of this regional edition, originated and was inspired by the challenge, thrill, and resolve felt and experienced by hunters and poker players, dedicated to their passion, knowing of the gratitude for the accomplishment of success.

I do like the promo poster for the Ammunition: 

7-Ammnunition-442x480-v1.png

And apparently they took the Herfing to Herf on Everest:

3-17.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ReturnFreeRisk said:

This has to do with the San Cristobal name specifically. Regional Editions in other brands can be named whatever the distributor wants, as long as Habanos agrees.

All of the original San Cristobals were named after forts in Havana. Then starting the LCDH series, streets. Mercaderes, Muralla and Oficios, streets in Habana Vieja. Same with O'Reilly. Prado, also a street but just outside where the old walls were.

20 Aniversario, well... same with the 1519, though that is a historic year for Havana.

Then La Cabaña a fort, though this time on the other side of the river.

Harimau, which seems to mean "tiger" in Malay. Certainly seems to break with tradition for San Cristobal, unless there's a connection with the name.

By the way, there were lots of Spanish-Irish names in the New World.

"Alejandro O' Reilly"

"Bernardo O' Higgins"

"Che Guevara-Lynch"

"Palacio O' Farrill" :) 

"Faro O' Donnell" :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, juri said:

but ive seen the SP go for a hell of alot more....

I was seeing SP GQ at multiple trusted European vendors for low $200s until mid-20 although I agree, some vendors were quite high on them, but certainly not double that let alone triple. 

And sure, a year or two can be a big difference. LGC Orgullosos, Punch Sir David, ERDM Kon Tiki are just a few examples of ERs that were virtually gone after less than 2 years and prices more than doubled. 

12 hours ago, juri said:

i don't want to get banned so i won't link them but just use google, i see $ 458.00 CHF 395.00 CHF 427.00 £300.00 GBP, i paid €200,00 and this is hardly the best example but thats pretty close to 200% 

Like I said, a year can change everything. All bets are off 12-18+ months after release. I'm only speaking of newly released ERs. Again, it's all case by case. A cigar that meets all the criteria like LFDC Casanova might not become rare and expensive after even 3-4 years while something like the PL Coronas do.