10 years on........the LE class of 2010/2011

It is a decade on and not a bad time to collectively look back as to how the below have performed.

Primarily i want to know how they have performed (with a decade down) as a smoking propostion.  However it is interesting to look at the wildly different performance on the secondary. 

Overall, I wouln't consider it the strongest LE lineup (particularly 2010).  Still, let us know your thoughts as to how they are smoking. In terms of performance, there are two clear winners ;)

Montecristo Grand Edmundos
Partagás Serie D Especial
Trinidad Short Robustos T

Cohiba 1966
Hoyo de Monterrey Short Hoyo Pirámides
Ramón Allones Allones Extra

I think 10 was a big turning point for the EL program. I think it was really the first year that most of the ELs lost that "typical EL" character (forest floor/mushroom/burnt coffee) and really started to consistently incorporate the DNA of the marca. Obviously the Trini SRT was a big fat steamy turd but honestly, that might have been the last big turd that the EL program ever squeezed out right up to today. Lots of love for the Monte GE (many people's favorite Monte EL) and I think the Party SDE was quite well received. I don't think there's any debate that the Monte GE blows away the Monte D, Robusto (both) and the DC. (I won't even mention the C for @Ken Gargett's sake)

The 11 class was also solid. The 1966, well, 'nuff said. The RAAE was also a big hit. Hoyo SP were definitely not as popular but I don't recall hearing anything bad about them. 

As a contrast, see the 09 class: Boli Petit Belicosos (tasted like EL, never a hit and still can be found today for relatively low prices), Punch Mag 48 (EL flavor, but not bad. Didn't spawn a regular production version like the Mag 50. Not really a sought-after today and the 2012 HU Robustos are far more sought-after), and the RyJ Dukes (very light flavor, hung around the vintage market forever, never raved about.)

• Like 4

For me the Grand Edmundos and 1966. Not even a runner up.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I think 10 was a big turning point for the EL program. I think it was really the first year that most of the ELs lost that "typical EL" character (forest floor/mushroom/burnt coffee) and really started to consistently incorporate the DNA of the marca. Obviously the Trini SRT was a big fat steamy turd but honestly, that might have been the last big turd that the EL program ever squeezed out right up to today. Lots of love for the Monte GE (many people's favorite Monte EL) and I think the Party SDE was quite well received. I don't think there's any debate that the Monte GE blows away the Monte D, Robusto (both) and the DC. (I won't even mention the C for @Ken Gargett's sake)

The 11 class was also solid. The 1966, well, 'nuff said. The RAAE was also a big hit. Hoyo SP were definitely not as popular but I don't recall hearing anything bad about them. 

As a contrast, see the 09 class: Boli Petit Belicosos (tasted like EL, never a hit and still can be found today for relatively low prices), Punch Mag 48 (EL flavor, but not bad. Didn't spawn a regular production version like the Mag 50. Not really a sought-after today and the 2012 HU Robustos are far more sought-after), and the RyJ Dukes (very light flavor, hung around the vintage market forever, never raved about.)

Agreed on most but for me the RyJ smoked well young...has lost its touch.

I smoked a Monte GE not long ago. Very nice indeed. Has mellowed over time, but still packs a bit of a wallop.

I remember the RAAE being a polarising cigar when it was released. You either loved it or hated it, there was no in-between. I personally loved it, and still have a box left.

As for the 1966, the only thing to say is.... I wish I bought more!

54 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

I remember the RAAE being a polarising cigar when it was released. You either loved it or hated it, there was no in-between.

I actually don't recall that much disparity of opinion. Some really loved it and others thought good but not great. This may have had to do with youth. The first few I had ROTT weren't great but 6-9 mos later I thought they were quite good. Nothing spectacular but 92-93 points. 

1 hour ago, Habana Mike said:

Agreed on most but for me the RyJ smoked well young...has lost its touch

I thought they were good, but just on the lighter side. Haven't had one since about 2013 so I have no idea how they've held up but they were kicking around for a long time in the secondary market. 

I certainly think it was more successful than the 13 De Luxe which no one seemed to really care about. I consider that cigar to be the few misses of the post-2010 EL era. 

Montecristo Grand Edmundos - Loved them
Partagás Serie D Especial - Liked them
Trinidad Short Robustos T - Loved them

Cohiba 1966 - Never had one
Hoyo de Monterrey Short Hoyo Pirámides - Below Average
Ramón Allones Allones Extra - Awful

Well, I've only had the Partagas and I've smoked three from my box, 2018, 19 and last summer. They went (for me) from "interesting" to, atleast the one I had last summer, one of my best smokes in the last five years and undisputed #1 of 2020. 

Still have a 3 or 4 left of Monte GE. All examples solid that I would put in low 90s. I have left a few comments on the board regarding these. My primary observation is that strong chocolate/cocoa is becoming more mild over the years. A very good but not great cigar. Smoking experience does not stand up to premium ask I see on these currently

Finished the box of 1966s a few months ago. Just superb construction across the board. Tightly packed but not difficult draw that elongated smoking experience to compensate for otherwise typical cigar. No special flavors on my palette vs. typical Cohiba

Went 2 boxes in on Short Pyramides. Awesome graham cracker example. Declined rapidly over past couple years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2010 was a bit of a damp squib for me, wasn't bothered by the Trinidad Short Robusto, the price certainly wasn't attractive. The Partagas didn't seem to bring anything new to the table and the Monte, whilst pleasant, was nowhere near the Sublimes from 08. If anything it seemed an attempt to recreate the success and hype of the Sublimes that was strong at the time. It fell short for me. It was nice, but didn't make me want a box.

2011 was also a strange one. I loved the look of the RA and the band was brilliant, but every example I tried was hot and grubby. I wanted to love them and gave them a lot of chances across different boxes but it never came right for me. I eventually had a decent one years later but I was definitely in the not impressed camp. Inconsistency killed the cat. I still fondly remember Brazoeagle's great feasts with accompanying RAs. I enjoyed those photos more than smoking the cigars!

I enjoyed the 1966 but wasn't blown away by it, I think particularly as there was so much hype around them. Maybe for me it just didn't live up to what I was reading about them.

I actually really enjoyed the Hoyo, it was a brilliantly balanced blend but was over shadowed by the other EL releases. If it had come out the year previously I think it would have had a lot more press

2011 Ramon Allones Allones Extra and the Cohiba 1966 were two I stocked up on when they came out. Bought them in Havana and they where dirt cheep.

Had a RA the other day and I’d say time has done it good but the 1966 is on a different level. The 1966 is one of the best LE’s there has been. Still have some of each of them and plan to really enjoy them until there gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Cold Smoke said:

I still have the better part of a couple of boxes of the Hoyos. They weren't bad at all, last I remember.

I actually do recall them now. Actually, the LCDH still had some a couple years ago. I actually liked them quite a bit, and I'm not generally a Hoyo fan. 

The 07 Regalos were also excellent as long as you didn't get the fireproof wrappers. 

The monte GE and 1966 were one of the first few boxes I bought back when I just started in this hobby. Still have several sticks of each.

To this day, these still rank in the top 5 I've ever had. The raw chocolate power of the GE has made way for cream and velvety texture (last smoked about a year ago), while the 66 has gone from strength to strength every time I had one. I plan to smoke each remaining stick of the 66 every time the first digit of my age changes. It will probably be over the hill by the end, but heck, it will be a box to remember.

Of the others, only had the Hoyo short piramide that I scored on BR, and it was nice but not of the same class as those 2. 

• Like 1

2010 was my sons birth year so I heavily stocked up on the Monte GE after smoking all 3 ELs from that year. Only smoke them on his birthday and I look forward to smoking one with him one day.

2011 was all COHIBA 1966 for me. I still have a few boxes of RAAE. They are good but 1966s are ethereal. Getting better with age and a joy to smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1