Best Habanos fresh off the shelf?


Recommended Posts

Great question. I’ll await responses. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hah, in my decidedly jaded experience, most any Habanos is acceptable right off the truck. It depends on your standards and expectations for the vitola. If it is a monumental release, although smokeable, I wouldn't touch it until it's been in my storage for a year or two. Aside from a sample stick if I'm feeling sadistic, I mean.

As to how current generations (last year or three), I'm less sure so also interested to learn.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New regular production, REs and LEs I usually have one or two young to try them. Other than that I rarely smoke anything that has less then 2 to 3 years on it.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ginseng said:

Hah, in my decidedly jaded experience, most any Habanos is acceptable right off the truck. It depends on your standards and expectations for the vitola. If it is a monumental release, although smokeable, I wouldn't touch it until it's been in my storage for a year or two. Aside from a sample stick if I'm feeling sadistic, I mean.

As to how current generations (last year or three), I'm less sure so also interested to learn.

Tend to agree here, but here are a few options that seem to be smoking well "off the shelf" if we're talking boxes from 2020:

--Trinidad Reyes & Colonials;

--Partagas Serie D #4;

--RyJ Short Churchills;

--San Cristobal de LA Habana El Principe;

There are others that I'm sure others will recommend.

Good Luck!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Shrimpchips said:

Punch Short du Punch is smoking really well without much down time.

Yeah they’ve been dynamite. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MrBirdman said:
Most Trinidad smoke well young, though Fundis do benefit a lot from age.

I have to respectfully disagree here....I’m finding that the more trini I smoke, the more I realize they need time to shine....there usually seems like some settling down and delineation of flavors to be had ....I’ve noticed this with vigia, coloniales, and even the newer releases to include media Luna and esmeralda (although sometimes they can be quite good very fresh )

9 hours ago, Shrimpchips said:
Punch Short du Punch is smoking really well without much down time.

I agree here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Lrabold89 said:

I have to respectfully disagree here....I’m finding that the more trini I smoke, the more I realize they need time to shine....

I mean, it’s obviously all relative. Pretty much everything needs time to do well. And of course it’s unclear what time horizons are being discussed here. But most Trinidad’s are very smokeable compared to other marcas after 1 year of box age. Whether they’re at their peak is another question entirely. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't often get the chance to visit a B&M and I've only tried about a dozen young cigars in the last 6 months.  All of them were enjoyable but the best was a Media Luna single.  Lots of praise for 2019/20 production on the daily smoke thread.  I like to pick the ones that catch my eye and fit my schedule when I have the opportunity to visit a B&M.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Punch Short du Punch, Upmann No 2, Bolivar Royal Corona, Partagas E2, and Quai D'Orsay 54 are all smoking great as young cigars right now in my opinion.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice thread, definitely a great topic. I am smoking the first from my box of Punch 48 RAT May 20, and it is smoking like a champ. Slightest hints of youthful aggression from time to time, but in no way off putting. Accompanied with Diplomaticos rum...hey it’s five o’clock somewhere. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are slightly different aspects to this question: when is a cigar enjoyable, and when is it optimal. 4-6 years may be optimal for most, but when building a collection from scratch it's not an option. So the question is what can you smoke and still get the essence of the cigar. 

My personal experience: 

- If cigars have < 45-60 days rest in your possession, there's a non trivial chance it won't be enjoyable. Can be bland, or taste of gasoline/chemicals. Not all by any means, but a heightened risk in this stage. Too much risk for my taste. 

- With > 60 days rest, almost all 2019-20 production are enjoyable. R&J churchill series has been absolutely on point for me, as have Monte 2's and Edmundos. The exceptions for me, that need some more time to find their 'essence,' are actually RASS (reputed to smoke well young) and Upmann Mag 50, Hoyo San Juan.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, griller said:

Tend to agree here, but here are a few options that seem to be smoking well "off the shelf" if we're talking boxes from 2020:

--Trinidad Reyes & Colonials;

--Partagas Serie D #4;

--RyJ Short Churchills;

--San Cristobal de LA Habana El Principe;

There are others that I'm sure others will recommend.

Good Luck!

Seconded on the Colonials!  Had a box of those and Reys come in at the same time last fall.  Reys have been harsh and one dimensional which is what I expect from those without a bit of time. The Colonials have been smoking quite well - a few rough edges toward the end and lacking some depth and strength but solid.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of this question comes down to personal preference too. I prefer greater intensity so don’t mind youngish stock. If you’re someone who strongly prefers a more mellowed smoke, then you might not enjoy any fresh CC. Learning where you sit on the spectrum is part of the fun!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, gojira said:

New regular production, REs and LEs I usually have one or two young to try them. Other than that I rarely smoke anything that has less then 2 to 3 years on it.

 

Ditto

But I am more like rarely smoke anything that has less than 3 to 4 years on it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Count of Montecristo said:

I’d rather buy brand new fresh young cigars that stinks like a cow pissed, and shit right in my face

Can’t say I’m with ya on that one! 😆

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Count of Montecristo said:

I’d rather buy brand new fresh young cigars that stinks like a cow pissed, and shit right in my face than buy a cigar that’s not been stored, and handled properly

I've definitely gotten cigars that were ruined by poor storage for too long, but I think there's probably more than these two options 😂🤣😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One that flies under the radar a bit that has been exceptional for be in the Saint Luis Rey Regios. I have a box from Sep 20 that is already smoking exceptionally well

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.