Best Habanos fresh off the shelf?

3 hours ago, MrBirdman said:

A lot of this question comes down to personal preference too. I prefer greater intensity so don’t mind youngish stock. If you’re someone who strongly prefers a more mellowed smoke, then you might not enjoy any fresh CC. Learning where you sit on the spectrum is part of the fun!

This is very accurate. 

If you like the kick and intensity some cigars offer, you will be more likely to enjoy young fresh cigars. 

I think it might be more accurate to name cigars that don't show as much signs of youth ROTT. All cigars change with age and some prefer fresh and some prefer time. 

I would have to say milder cigar are probably least susceptible to unpleasant youthful characteristics. SLR Regios would definitely be right up there. In fact, they probably really hit a sweet spot at 2-3 years. Pretty quick.

Siglo I has never struck me as youthful although they can pack a bit of a punch. Same with RG Perlas, RGPC and Party Shorts. Those tend to be very approachable young. Hoyo Le Hoyo series are pretty easy young and of course Fonseca is about as inoffensive as can be young or old.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I would have to say milder cigar are probably least susceptible to unpleasant youthful characteristics. SLR Regios would definitely be right up there. In fact, they probably really hit a sweet spot at 2-3 years. Pretty quick.

I've only had 2-3 SLR Regios but all from my young ish box (GOB ABR 20) and they were not at all mild quite the opposite.

Edit: Looked up my original review. Quite fresh they were lighter, then got stronger. I think @El Presidente has said smoke em within a few months or wait a few years. Something echoed by @Kaptain Karl's comment.

55 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Hoyo Le Hoyo series are pretty easy young and of course Fonseca is about as inoffensive as can be young or old.

Agree about both of these. Though I'd add the somewhat useless comment that it might not apply as much to the discontinued le Hoyo cigars (which you'll never see young again of course).

30 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Agree about both of these. Though I'd add the somewhat useless comment that it might not apply as much to the discontinued le Hoyo cigars (which you'll never see young again of course).

Yes, I guess we're down to just the Du Maire, but I haven't heard much talk of laying down a San Juan or Rio Seco. 

As far as the SLR, I'd love it if they weren't as mild as they've been in the past. The LCDH never has them so I might need to try a 6er next time Rob puts one up. 

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Yes, I guess we're down to just the Du Maire, but I haven't heard much talk of laying down a San Juan or Rio Seco.

Du député is still around and the best deal to me given entreactos are expensive for the smoke time and the San Juan and especially Rio Seco can have a premium.

The Rio Seco especially is approachable young.

Edit: I think San Juan are being aged more or as much as they can be given their recent release.

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

As far as the SLR, I'd love it if they weren't as mild as they've been in the past. The LCDH never has them so I might need to try a 6er next time Rob puts one up. 

Yeah I'd give them another shot. The first one from my 2020 box was a bit light ish for the first and final thirds but with a heavy feel to it and heavier in the middle but the next one or two from the box were as strong as a young RASS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bijan said:

The Rio Seco especially is approachable young.

Edit: I think San Juan are being aged more or as much as they can be given their recent release.

This is spot on.  The San Juans seem to get better with age and the few I've had with 3+ years on them are on par with fresh Rio Secos that have only rested to acclimate.  I'm not sure what 3+ years will do to make Rio Seco any better or smoother but that amount of time does improve the San Juan.

Just now, Tommy_Tao said:

I'd say those who require less aging are mostly small-sized and mild-medium bodied cigars.

Based on this logic, most Por Larranagas are what you are looking for.

You'd think but a lot of people swear you need 5+ years on PLPC to get the much desired caramel flavor.

PLMC seems to be better young.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bijan said:

You'd think but a lot of people swear you need 5+ years on PLPC to get the much desired caramel flavor.

PLMC seems to be better young.

I may not have smoked that many aged PLs to come to a complete cognition so I dunno. They smoke young and good to me though.

I’ve got a cab of Jul Rass that I just cracked open after 3 weeks rest and I was very happy with the results. Better with time? Yes. Very good in the meantime? Definitely!  And with such an affordable cc you can keep a cab aging while you dip into a box.  

• Like 1