the utter height of braindead stupidity - thank you, NASA

I think I found the original article, not sure this is the official NASA position or just someone unrelated suggesting this language:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs/air-space-museum/2021/04/05/seat-cockpit-recognizing-and-replacing-biases-gender-inclusive-language/

Edit: Yes NASA suggestion at this second link:

https://history.nasa.gov/styleguide.html

"

Gender-Specific Language (e.g., Manned Space Program vs. Human Space Program)

In general, all references to the space program should be non-gender-specific (e.g., human, piloted, unpiloted, robotic, as opposed to manned or unmanned). The exception to the rule is when referring to the Manned Spaceflight Center (also known as the Manned Spacecraft Center), the predecessor of Johnson Space Center in Houston, or to any other historical program name or official title that included “manned” (e.g., Associate Administrator for Manned Spaceflight)."

18 minutes ago, Bijan said:

I think I found the original article, not sure this is the official NASA position or just someone unrelated suggesting this language:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs/air-space-museum/2021/04/05/seat-cockpit-recognizing-and-replacing-biases-gender-inclusive-language/

Edit: Yes NASA suggestion at this second link:

https://history.nasa.gov/styleguide.html

"

Gender-Specific Language (e.g., Manned Space Program vs. Human Space Program)

In general, all references to the space program should be non-gender-specific (e.g., human, piloted, unpiloted, robotic, as opposed to manned or unmanned). The exception to the rule is when referring to the Manned Spaceflight Center (also known as the Manned Spacecraft Center), the predecessor of Johnson Space Center in Houston, or to any other historical program name or official title that included “manned” (e.g., Associate Administrator for Manned Spaceflight)."

So human vs. non-human space flights? Humanless?

13 minutes ago, Habana Mike said:

Something like that. Although to be fair they don't use any of that kind of language in the program descriptions, just leave it to be inferred from the context.

Recent Mars Rover mission (unmanned):

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/overview/

Next mission to the moon (manned):

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/artemis/

20 minutes ago, Habana Mike said:

No, that's sexist, as it implies it is only for men. It should be Huperson or non-Huperson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

No, that's sexist, as it implies it is only for men. It should be Huperson or non-Huperson.

But I identify as a non-Huperson. So now I am offended.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

sorry fuzz, what is the difference for a reference to a son than to a man?

Huperson is the accepted genderless term for Homo Sapiens... but then the LGBTTTQQIAA community may get offended by the use of "Homo" in Homo Sapiens.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dealsrme said:

Wow... one word into three... efficiency at its finest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's like when you have to write a 1000 word essay at school. You gotta stretch it out any way you can.

• Like 1

Just now, Fuzz said:

Huperson is the accepted genderless term for Homo Sapiens... but then the LGBTTTQQIAA community may get offended by the use of "Homo" in Homo Sapiens.

not to mention the sex workers at the inclusion of 'ho' and those hirsutically challenged by 'mo'. 

• Like 1

Style guides like these have given yeoman [ed: sexist] sterling [ed: imperialist] first class [ed: an open reference to class? You nuts?] really great service to English [ed: actually, the style board is considering the appropriateness of calling it "English", given that history has, you know, moved on, and the language is no longer only used by people from England.] 

• Haha 1

Where is Barbarella when you need her?...

I call NASA the "dog ate my homework" agency.

Think about it.

How many organizations can achieve a technology more than fifty years ago and yet fail to duplicate it in the intervening fifty years because of (insert your favorite excuses here....)?

Meanwhile--don't be surprised if Artemis has a whole bunch of excuses as to why there is more delay...when NASA is done with Artemis he will be known to history as the Greek God of excuses.   🙂

3 minutes ago, Cairo said:

Meanwhile--don't be surprised if Artemis has a whole bunch of excuses as to why there is more delay...when NASA is done with Artemis he will be known to history as the Greek God of excuses.   🙂

I think Artemis is a goddess. Which makes sense as the mission is to put a woman (and I think also maybe a man as well) on the moon.

3 hours ago, La_Tigre said:

Seems so terribly speciesist...we’re boycotting space until it is more inclusive.

Yes especially since some of the early pioneers were non human animals 😂🤣😂

The way we're headed, is there any doubt that machines will see hupersonkind (or should it be hu-something-kind?) as anything more than an inconvenience in the future?  The Matrix is coming!

I am okay with Piloted and Un-piloted. I will save my rage for terms like “on-boarding” instead of “hiring”, “reach out” instead of “contact” and “circle back” instead of...I don’t know what the f*ck these dickheads are trying to say...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Too many have been humiliated and hurt for so long with such terms.  Just an awful & abhorrent term to infer something was manned; it so lacks inclusiveness.  Manned should be considered hate speech.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Drguano said:

I will save my rage for terms like “on-boarding” instead of “hiring”,

Before I retired the work term that would send me into a blind rage was "stakeholder".   It always meant everyone but me!

• Like 1