Why did Perfectos go out of favour?

19 minutes ago, Bri Fi said:

Are they more difficult or time consuming to roll? That would be my guess since Cuba is trying to push as much product out as possible. They look cool that’s for sure 

A combination of factors saw parejos gain favour from the 1930s onwards. Mind you, perfectos were still around in the early 50s but they became somewhat of a novelty size after this. I believe the main factors that led to the change include economic circumstances due to the Great Depression in the 1930s and the advent of greater cigarette production and smoking amongst the general population causing direct competition to cigar smoking.

• Like 4

I have been appreciating both Lanceros and Perfectos in the past year or so.  I will go out of my way to get that vitola if available.  Beside the AF Hemingway line, I think the Foundation David and the Foundation Goliath are the best perfectos I have had recently.

• JohnS changed the title to Why did Perfectos go out of favour?
1 hour ago, Bijan said:

I can see that but what's the benefit of the double figurado/perfecto over a single one like a pyramid? Easier to light? Or just cool looking?

I would imagine with a perfecto in the first few puffs you get more flavor from the wrapper since you have a much higher wrapper/filler ratio at the foot, kind of like the idea behind a closed foot cigar. I haven't smoked enough perfectos to be able to say that I noticed that first hand though. I think the biggest reason is that they just look cool!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Enduin said:

I would imagine with a perfecto in the first few puffs you get more flavor from the wrapper since you have a much higher wrapper/filler ratio at the foot, kind of like the idea behind a closed foot cigar.

Thanks!

I was just browsing old threads and someone mentioned exactly that (both of those things):

• Like 2

47x 158 . I have often asked why as well...we have a Partagas , I would love to see them in Sancho Panza , Roman Allones and for the love of Christ put them into a Monte Petit Edmundo blend....I can just taste them now. Love the size 😊👍

• Like 2

Also wishing we would see more of them. I’m not very interested in the skinny v fat debate, more interested in the diversity of sizes on offer. Shouldn’t be that hard to offer a full menu of options across the higher volume brands (too logical, I know).

• Like 2

Hamlet did say that the vitola is somewhat difficult to roll in terms of getting a good draw and burn. Maybe the amount of skilled hands needed to do so diminished?  I love the vitola too.  Partagas Presidentes and Salamones are great smokes. I do enjoy some Cuabas. Especially the smaller ones.  I would love to see more perfectos across different marcas. I'd jump at a Cohiba, Trinidad or RA one.

• Like 2

I love them as well. For me it’s the evolution. From the beginning when you light the tip, you get a glimpse of what the cigar is gonna be like. It’s kind of like forplay. Then you get to the thickest part and it’s like BOOM!! All the flavors come thru. It’s like an orchestra where you only hear the violin and the drums and then suddenly, the whole orchestra is playing. And let’s not forget the evolution. Since it’s cone shaped, the filler/wrapper ratio changes in the course of smoking and it’s a really unique kind of evolution that you can’t get in a parejo. Yeah, I love them. To bad they’re so unusual nowadays.

When a tobacconist asks "what kinds of cigars do you like", the reply "all of them" isn't terribly helpful :)  I'll usually say figurados and piramides then describe a flavor profile.  I like the way they look as a single or in a box, I like the way they feel, and I love the extra bit of craftsmanship is takes to create one.  Cuaba seems to get a bad rep but I've always enjoyed them.

Also, the brand name "General Satisfaction" is so, so perfect.  

20 hours ago, westg said:

I would love to see them in Sancho Panza

Well, you're in luck:

sancho-panza-gran-quixote2-jpg?width=486

Romeos might be the most underutilized vitola. It would be a good seller in every brand. 

No idea why Britanicas and Tacos are also so rarely utilized. They did add the Hoyo Elegantes and the rumored ER list did indicate a RA Tacos might be on the way.