The proper place for a cigar: hand, mouth, ashtray, or prop?

Hi Gents,

I wonder where you most often park your cigar when you're smoking? For me, it varies:

• In my mouth when I'm typing, working with my hands, grilling
  • Gripped by fingers (V or pinch grip) when thinking, drinking, or reading a book or magazine
  • On the ledge of my ashtray when I'm snacking 

How do you hold your cigar? Does it vary by circumstance for you like it does for me?

• Like 2

Always holding it in the hand unless I'm puffing. I'll only put it down if I'm going to do something away from the cigar. But I puff often, if I was always taking 2 minutes between puffs then I might do things differently (though I kind of doubt it, I like the feel of the cigar in my hands, I really don't enjoy smoking with gloves on).

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

From my ashtray holders to my hand to my mouth to my hand to the ashtray

unless it’s the cigar my buddy gave me the other day saying it was amazing, some Jamaican cigar with 3 different wrappers as you smoked down.  Then....it was my ashtray to my hand to my mouth to the garbage can.

I hear you. 

Years ago I used to occasionally  enjoy  a CAO flavored cigar called Moontrance. Bought one a few weeks ago for old time's sake and I couldn't get down more than half a dozen puffs. Man, what was wrong with me back then?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

Can't keep it in my mouth. Agitates my nose and eyes.

me too. then i start inhaling a bunch of my passive smoke. I could do it while holding my breath and doing something with two hands urgently.

in most cases i hold it, unless im doing something (e.g. using computer / grilling) where i need both hands then I will leave it on the ashtray. when watching Arsenal play it also helps to slow my smoking as I puff too fast too often due to the stress. 

if i'm out at a place where there isn't a proper cigar ashtray / unhygienic / etc and i need to put it down, the FOH cigar stand comes in handy

• Like 1

Most of the time in my hand. I too can’t hold it in my mouth for the reasons already mentioned. The only time it goes to the ashtray is for ashing or if I need to leave it for a while to do something away from my smoking spot. 

1 hour ago, djrey said:

Never understood a stand unless I am activity working with my hands, at which point I don't have a cigar. For me it sits in my hand. Holding in my mouth irritates me heavily like aforementioned. 

^^^^ Glad I read through all the posts. ^^^^ This exactly. ^^^^

i prefer to sit down and enjoy the moment with my cigar, so I hold it 99% of the time.

I’ve have previously smoked a cigar while trying to accomplish something in the shop, setting it down on the bench or vise when needed, but it just took away all the enjoyment I find for a relaxing experience.

• Like 1

Like the others, I also always keep a cigar in my hand. Keeping it in my mouth is a no-go especially since I always smoke outside and there is always a little breeze that would blow the smoke back in my face making me choke while I'm breathing. Been there done that. If I need to do something quick where I need both hands, I hold the cigar in my mouth while holding my breath. 

As far as activities while smoking, I also feel like doing stuff detracts from my cigar enjoyment. The one exception is taking a walk on some nature trails with no people, which is something that I do enjoy while smoking a cigar. 

• Like 1

It does vary depending on the circumstances for me as well. At home I'll often take a puff or two and set it down on the ashtray on one of those grooves. Sometimes the cigar spends more time in my hands. When I'm not at home and I want to do something else I'll put it down wherever possible. I've never been a fan of having the cigar in my mouth for extended periods of time, only when drawing on it. Part of it is the aforementioned discomfort.

Today I learned I am not the only one who is unable to balance a cigar between teeth or in the corner of my mouth and not inhale smoke or irritate my eyes and nose. No pride here...I'm just not that talented.  Nothing against those who are able to chew gum and walk at the same time, but Mickey D's comment resonated with me. Cigars are my cue to stop, slow down, relax and focus on the experience. When I tried gum and walking a couple times,  I just stepped in it.

• Haha 1

Lost two cigars stands in the past 12 months, I am going cheap and using a bottle cap to hold my cigar. Does the trick for me 😝

Do whatever you want, when you want and strikes you at the moment. Just look smooth and confident when you do it. New cigar smokers stand out in the lounge like new strippers in a club that don't know where to put their hands. 

• Like 2

You’ll usually find mine hanging out of the left side of my mouth. It scares the neighbor’s kids... 😀

• Like 2