FOH Instrumental Weekend.....share a favourite piece of instrumental music.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love spanish guitar.  My father (88) has been learning this piece for the last 20 years, practicing 45 minutes in his garage every day.  He hasn't improved. He has however evaded  my mothe

Always a fan of hard bop jazz.  

I used to play this one full volume when driving down the Autoroute du Soleil to Spain to keep me awake eating miles and grinning smiles ... 🙂  

As we've started with classical guitar, this is the song I was learning, and would probably never finish learning if I hadn't more or less given up:

I can kind of play blackbird though...

• Like 1

I'm sure everybody on the planet has heard this piece but not many know who it is.

It reminds of listening to "This American Life" on the radio on Saturday mornings in Chicago in the late 90s before podcasts became a thing.

Last one for now. I like instrumentals. :)

For something "Oirish". Davy Spillane is my favourite Uileann pipe player. An instrument with some players in Cuba now.

"Caoineadh Cu Chulainn" (Cu Chulainn's tears) 

Actually, how could I forget Paco de Lucia. I can't think of a better guitar player. At the Seville guitar expo in 1993 playing "La Barrosa", a favourite at the moment.

I only saw him in concert once, in 1995, on tour with John McLaughlin and Al diMeola. I was in Cuba when he died in 2014. The next day I was in a few bars, every band I saw was playing his "Entre dos Aguas" in tribute.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Actually, how could I forget Paco de Lucia. I can't think of a better guitar player. At the Seville guitar expo in 1993 playing "La Barrosa", a favourite at the moment.

I only saw him in concert once, in 1995, on tour with John McLaughlin and Al diMeola. I was in Cuba when he died in 2014. The next day I was in a few bars, every band I saw was playing his "Entre dos Aguas" in tribute.

One of my eternal favourites - Gracias !

Next time we are in HAV together you must come to my Casa Particular in Nuevo Vedado as it a fine old villa owned by Mrs C,  the founder of the Cuban textile industry and former owner of La Maison close to Espacios - Paco de Lucia was a frequent guest there and she has a few pictures of him in the Casa.

• Like 1

Lot's of good classical guitar here. Time to kick it up a notch with some hard rock guitar!

I'll start you off slow.  My favourite guitarist is Michael Schenker of Scorpions & UFO fame. He's also done tons of solo albums including several acoustic only albums.

This one called Positive Forward

And now for some hard rock guitar.  His first big instrumental piece after leaving UFO and forming his own band is a masterpiece.  It's called "Into The Arena"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nino said:

One of my eternal favourites - Gracias !

Next time we are in HAV together you must come to my Casa Particular in Nuevo Vedado as it a fine old villa owned by Mrs C,  the founder of the Cuban textile industry and former owner of La Maison close to Espacios - Paco de Lucia was a frequent guest there and she has a few pictures of him in the Casa.

Thanks Nino. I'd really like to see that. I didn't know he had visited Cuba, though it makes sense, flamenco always had a following there. I think it's similar to Irish-American kids doing much more Irish dancing than Irish kids. I know he spent a lot of time in Mexico.

10 minutes ago, jhalischuk said:

Was going post some Keith! Was just watching this one the other day. There's nobody better imo. 

Wish I could find the Köln concert - gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it.

Absolute master piece !