FOH Instrumental Weekend.....share a favourite piece of instrumental music.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love spanish guitar.  My father (88) has been learning this piece for the last 20 years, practicing 45 minutes in his garage every day.  He hasn't improved. He has however evaded  my mothe

Always a fan of hard bop jazz.  

I used to play this one full volume when driving down the Autoroute du Soleil to Spain to keep me awake eating miles and grinning smiles ... 🙂  

34 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Thanks Nino. I'd really like to see that. I didn't know he had visited Cuba, though it makes sense, flamenco always had a following there. I think it's similar to Irish-American kids doing much more Irish dancing than Irish kids. I know he spent a lot of time in Mexico.

He didn't play in Cuba as far as I know ( might be mistaken ) but visited frequently privately - He spent time there before Mexico where he died of a heart attack.

I will add some pictures of him at that Casa in Havana that I took back some years, have to find them in my external hard disk now ...

I had the pleasure to watch him and Al DiMeola and John Mclaughin in concert in Santiago de Chile - brilliant !

1155317506_cphav018.jpg.21b48aeebd63f521523c65a6df72573e.jpg

675236676_cphav019.jpg.6c2ccb4abdc455cfa0074aeca67d54cb.jpg

1458364740_cphav026.jpg.26786bee2f5b4c7ea807f42898aa50bc.jpg

Here he is in the Casa with Mrs C. the owner. Her son is a famous Cuban ballet dancer and choreographer.

It’s my duty to post some Hawaiian favorites:D Sorry for the lousy video on this one, this is John Cruz playing his latin-influenced instrumental Kahala moon:

• Like 1

Not an original, and not very Hawaiian, but a nice version by Country Comfort, a band from Waimanalo in the 70’s. Check out their “Best of” album for some really good kick-back, jazzy/mellow Hawaiian music. Billy Kaui was a founder of the band and lead vocalist, sounding a lot like Box Scaggs. He passed way too soon, leaving us with only a few albums from these guys.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mbflash80 said:

and you gotta have one more from the master of the 12 string...

Wow, nice call.  I'd forgotten all about Leo since my days in Boulder.  I'm definitely gonna pull up some more Leo and some Jorma too.  Thanks

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

This....is freakin amazing. Jawdropping amazing. 

Edit: Some of the comments below the video are hilarious!

• Like 1

Really fun to listen to a lot of the songs put up here this weekend. I love Redemption Song by Bob Marley and went searching for an instrumental version for the post. Turns out, this one was done on Spanish Acoustic Guitars. Beautiful.

• Like 3

On 4/16/2021 at 11:56 AM, mbflash80 said:

and you gotta have one more from the master of the 12 string...

My homeboy!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Count of Montecristo said:

I can’t figure out how to post videos here, but really like anything by Caridad Cuervo, and Cunjunto Runbavana 

I’m right there with you. I was hoping to find an old video of Return to Forever’s “Romantic Warrior.”

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Count of Montecristo said:

I can’t figure out how to post videos here, but really like anything by Caridad Cuervo, and Cunjunto Runbavana 

Give this a shot... there may be another way but I fumbled around and found this.

[video]insertlinkhere 

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic. George Clinton told Eddie Hazel to play like he just found out his mother died. It's basically a 12min guitar solo, and to this day the only person I've heard cover it with similar emotion is Mike McCready. The song brings tears to my eyes under the right circumstances. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Count of Montecristo said:

I just copy the video link, and simply paste it onto a reply here...boom! the video pops up after a few seconds. FoH tech wizards did a great job with this feature. Or maybe that’s how it automatically works everywhere and I’m just easily impressed :lol3:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Count of Montecristo said:

How do I paste it onto a reply? I copied it but now I can’t find it. Thanks 

Click onto “Reply” and paste it in there...I do it from my MacBook, so it’s Control/ClickPad at the same time and a dropdown appears with paste as an option. Unfortunately I’m useless describing how to do this from other devices. What are you using, perhaps someone can guide you?

1 hour ago, Islandboy said:

Click onto “Reply” and paste it in there...I do it from my MacBook, so it’s Control/ClickPad at the same time and a dropdown appears with paste as an option. Unfortunately I’m useless describing how to do this from other devices. What are you using, perhaps someone can guide you?

I wonder if they're using Tapatalk.

It works from all the browsers I've tried.

I have to share some of my favorite Hawaiian slack key guitar before the weekend is over. Not everyone’s cup of tea, for sure, but I grew up surrounded by this simple and elegant style of music - this is one of my favorite go-to albums when I really want to relax. If this song moves you at all, I highly recommend kicking back with a cigar and giving the whole album a listen. This is a song about the Elepaio, a small forest bird endemic to Hawaii. 

• 4 weeks later...