Starter cigar for first time smoker

I was choosing my weekend smoke between these three "shorties" when I overheard this question and thought it was a great one I would like to get your opinion on too. 

What would be the first cuban cigar that you would recommend to a complete beginner visiting a cigar lounge for the first time? And would you recommend the same cigar to a lady as you would to a gent? 

20201127_105955.jpg

8 hours ago, Edicion said:
I was choosing my weekend smoke between these three "shorties" when I overheard this question and thought it was a great one I would like to get your opinion on too. 
What would be the first cuban cigar that you would recommend to a complete beginner visiting a cigar lounge for the first time? And would you recommend the same cigar to a lady as you would to a gent?

I'm probably a little biased because I'm a huge Montecristo fan, but they are all very good smokes, aren't particularly expensive and are a name even new smokers would recognize. They also have a huge selection of vitolas to choose from.

Most are mild-medium to medium in my opinion, so they won't be overwhelming.

I wouldn't recommend anything different for a man or a woman. No reason I can think of why there would be a difference between the sexes.

8 hours ago, njpinette said:
Hoyo de Monterrey is a good marca to start for someone new to cigars. The smaller vitolas are a good value

I would agree with this also. I have always enjoyed all the HDM's I have had, keep a fair number on hand, and they are a little less than a Montecristo on average.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The cream and sugar aspect of a hdm, maybe a petite robusto, will go well with new smokers.

If you have a good box of R and J that has that cherry flavor, works out well

these are the 2 I pass out to new smokers and go over well

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DaBoot said:

The cream and sugar aspect of a hdm, maybe a petite robusto, will go well with new smokers.

If you have a good box of R and J that has that cherry flavor, works out well

these are the 2 I pass out to new smokers and go over well

Yes. Hoyos cream and shorter smoke time and encouraging people to set aside the time not to rush the smoke. I’ll put in another vote for Romeo y Julieta but as DaBoot said...if YOU have a good box. These can be nice sticks for friends new to cigars. I really enjoy the Short Churchill (amongst others) when they’re on. I’m a bit more hesitant on suggesting the R&J as a choice in a cigar lounge without box year and knowing vendor,  but I’d be happily convinced otherwise by more input from the forum.

I think HdM epi 2 is a great intro. I think the size consideration here is important as well. Someone new to cigars will probably appreciate the robusto size more; it’s not so long that they get sick of it, but it’s gauge and length are definitely enough that even a novice would say “that’s a cigar” (I’m sure there will be an aesthetic judgment for them as it’s their first time). I’d also be worried that if I give a newbie something skinnier or shorter they may try dragging it like a cigarette and overheat the thing. 

• Like 3

I'd say shorter is better for someone never having smoked. Any of the 3 entreactos would be good. And perlas especially Rafael Gonzalez Perlas as the Monte 5 and Siglo I can be a touch stronger.

5 hours ago, Mrcpt said:

I think HdM epi 2 is a great intro. I think the size consideration here is important as well. Someone new to cigars will probably appreciate the robusto size more; it’s not so long that they get sick of it, but it’s gauge and length are definitely enough that even a novice would say “that’s a cigar” (I’m sure there will be an aesthetic judgment for them as it’s their first time). I’d also be worried that if I give a newbie something skinnier or shorter they may try dragging it like a cigarette and overheat the thing. 

Of all the robustos HdM epi 2 is I think the best for a beginner as being likely the lightest. Definitely to a beginner a Robusto will seem most like a cigar.

On the other hand to me it would depend on if the person has smoked other things before as I think the blend/strength on most Robustos is high (I'm thinking of the RASS specifically). And they might tap out partway due to the volume of smoke.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bijan said:

Of all the robustos HdM epi 2 is I think the best for a beginner as being likely the lightest. Definitely to a beginner a Robusto will seem most like a cigar.

On the other hand to me it would depend on if the person has smoked other things before as I think the blend/strength on most Robustos is high (I'm thinking of the RASS specifically). And they might tap out partway due to the volume of smoke.

Agreed.  But I suggest a PC instead.  I think it's a mistake to believe that the different flavor profiles seasoned smokers experience will be detected/appreciated for a beginner.  That comes from comparison.  Pleasant, lighter, classic with a reasonable output and burn time are what's most important IMO.  Smaller ring gauge (but not sub 40) will have a more comfortable feel initially too.  Cig, vape, doobie, gas station shitstick blunts or nothing will be the starting point.  Larger RGs will feel like something to manage rather than something settle into IMO.   KISS.   

• Like 2

First-time cigar smokers usually don’t know what they like, so I suggest a brand that kind of has little of everything and not too strong like RYJ.   That’s what I started with.  In terms of size, I suggest robusto (50 ring) or hermosa (48 ring) or corona gorda (46 ring) because won’t overheat and become harsh/bitter.  If going with RYJ, the short churchill or petit royales are my recommendations.  Of course I’m generalizing and you have to get a good box or stick.

• Like 2

First time cigar smoker? Keep it small, light and tasty.

ERDM Demi Tasse, Hoyo Du Maire, Cohiba Panetelas, RyJ Petit Julietas. 

5 hours ago, Nino said:

I'd recommend a RASCC

:surprised:

That also might be their last cigar! Those are just about the last thing I'd recommend to a novice. They've gotten much stronger since 2012 or so if you haven't had one lately. They pack quite a punch. 

I'm not letting Nino babysit... here's your first beer--Guinness! :wink2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

ERDM Demi Tasse, Hoyo Du Maire, Cohiba Panetelas, RyJ Petit Julietas

The Hoyo De Maire is a real sleeper.    I bought a box as a newbie, and I am constantly amazed at how much flavor is in that tiny little package.

• Like 1

Just now, Cairo said:

The Hoyo De Maire is a real sleeper.    I bought a box as a newbie, and I am constantly amazed at how much flavor is in that tiny little package.

Du maire definitely the most flavourful of that list to me.

The Hoyo du Depute a good one too not too big for a beginner, not mentioned yet. Kind of similar.

3 minutes ago, Cairo said:

As is the du Depute. Both are very tasty. Along with the Petit Robustos, I think Hoyo does an outstanding job with its small formats. They understand small cigars need flavor. 

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

First time cigar smoker? Keep it small, light and tasty.

ERDM Demi Tasse, Hoyo Du Maire, Cohiba Panetelas, RyJ Petit Julietas. 

:surprised:

That also might be their last cigar! Those are just about the last thing I'd recommend to a novice. They've gotten much stronger since 2012 or so if you haven't had one lately. They pack quite a punch. 

I'm not letting Nino babysit... here's your first beer--Guinness! :wink2:

I haven't noticed any stronger punch in my fresh RASCC's boxes but will stand corrected.

Another correction that I happily make is to add ERDM Demi Tasse. Great lil' cigar. Thank you for the advice.

I'd offer up one of these in this situation:

--HdM Palmas Extra;

--Upmann Regalias;

--Upmann Half Coronas;

All 3 of these won't break the bank, offer mild to medium body & strength, and are sub hour smokes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm probably not qualified to give the best answer as I've not tried them all, but I re-read this a few times before replying. I see that you asked what CUBAN they should try first. I have friends who can smoke a Rocky Patel Edge or Opus X on an empty stomach and be just fine, but they've never had a Cuban. For those folks I would recommend a flavor profile unique to CCs,  something you can't get in an NC. For that I have to say a known-good sample of a Cohiba, a very close second would be a PSD4 (again from a known-good stock).

If you're talking the occasional smoker to whom you'd like to offer a cigar, or a complete noob.... I say something easy, not too complex but tasty. Epicure 2, Party Shorts.

Either way you're going to ruin them forever. Just make sure you have plenty of stock on-hand to ease the disruption you're causing to their life. Heavy is the crown for those who walk someone down that path... 

• Haha 2