Sancho Panza Belicosos

Anyone tried the Sancho Panza Belicosos?

A new vendor I'm considering testing out has them as singles for a decent price so I was considering getting a couple to try, but I'm a little leery as the only Sancho Panza I have had is the non plus, which I didn't find particularly good

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

SP has quite a bit of love here, so you're going to get mostly positive feedback.

What about the NP didn't you like? If you don't like the flavor profile you're not going to like the Beli. If you only had one cigar, I wouldn't read too much into that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the unique flavor profile, been stocking up on them recently. I’ve had some with more than 5 years on them, and I actually prefer the youthful mongrel taste at about 2-3 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, if you don't connect with the Non Plus you'll probably find it harder to connect with the Belicosos. However, as mentioned above by @Spaceman Spiff, the last run of SP Non Plus (around 2018-19) was heavier in body than the Belicosos that came out at the same time, which in my view was toastier, lighter or crispier to smoke. That run of SP Belicosos was highly favoured on our forum, at the time. In 2019-20 the last of the Non Plus was distributed to Regional distributors and was around for awhile...heck, let's be honest here, it wasn't like what happened when the Bolivar Coronas Gigantes was discontinued in early 2017 (i.e. gone and accounted for by knowledgeable enthusiasts in mere weeks, perhaps two months tops). The Belicosos went into a short hiatus and recently has been made available again, I believe.

As @NSXCIGAR mentioned, if it's just one cigar you've sampled you should keep your options open on the marca until you've smoked it a bit more, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've actually smoked a fair number of the non plus and wasn't wowed, but did enjoy them, until the most recent few. All of a sudden they just didn't do it for me at all.

If the belicosos is the same flavor profile as the non plus, I'll probably skip on them

• Thanks 1

This comparison of the 2 makes zero sense to me.  The non-plus was a bad cigar.  Hardly noticed until it was discontinued.  I have had a handful of them over the years and they were all uneventful.  When they got discontinued, I thought "About time".  The Belicosos is a class above.  So yes, it is possible to hate the non-plus and love the belicosos. 

In 2019 I found some non-plus with 2016 dates in Cuba.  Hardly found anything with 2018 dates, all 2019, but there the non-plus were.  Probably still is there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know I'm going down memory lane, but does anybody remember the flavor profile of the SP Lonsdale? Smooth refined salty milk chocolate overtones, with a mild tobacco flavor running in the background. Been a while since I've had the Belis, but remember them being an earthier version of the Lonsdale. I remember the Belis getting bitter with frequency at the final 3rd too, so I rarely nubbed one. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, griller said:

I know I'm going down memory lane, but does anybody remember the flavor profile of the SP Lonsdale? Smooth refined salty milk chocolate overtones, with a mild tobacco flavor running in the background. Been a while since I've had the Belis, but remember them being an earthier version of the Lonsdale. I remember the Belis getting bitter with frequency at the final 3rd too, so I rarely nubbed one. 

Never had one but an SP Lonsdale sounds spectacular! In my experience, yes, the Belicosos can get a little rough in the last 3rd when they are young, but I still find them to be wonderful cigars.

1 hour ago, griller said:

The Sancho Panza Molinos was discontinued formally in 2012 (according to Cuban Cigar Website) but the last box codes were definitely 2011. The last one I had was in 2019 and I remember it has having a simple flavour profile of salted cream, wood and herbal flavours. Then again, it was aged at least seven years at that point.

Always wanted to try them. Did a box split of some Non Plus with a guy years ago, and I always remember that delicious salty taste. I have always wanted to experience it again, but I have always found other things higher up on my list that I end up buying. Your thread might move me to pull the trigger, though

I've had a few SPB and found them very pleasant. Quite nice aroma to them. Very unique. I'd recommend anyone to try them if you like cigars on the milder side. 

A few years back (2018/19) I was offered this box (my photo) , from 2001, but passed on it. Someone else got it and described them as like "smoking air". 

Screenshot_20210418-214608_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Should you pick up the SPB, I’d be curious to hear your review. I happen to love the SPBs I have owned (codes from 07 and 13) but I like them with time.  I’d be curious how recent production Belicosos are.  If they are anything like the rest of 2020 sticks, I would imagine them to be great.  If the only Non Plus I ever smoked was from 2018 (since it was discontinued in 2019, this is very likely) I might not be a huge fan either.  I don’t have a ton of faith in 2018 stock overall.  

Should you pick up the SPB, I’d be curious to hear your review. I happen to love the SPBs I have owned (codes from 07 and 13) but I like them with time.  I’d be curious how recent production Belicosos are.  If they are anything like the rest of 2020 sticks, I would imagine them to be great.  If the only Non Plus I ever smoked was from 2018 (since it was discontinued in 2019, this is very likely) I might not be a huge fan either.  I don’t have a ton of faith in 2018 stock overall.  
The ones I would get a most likely 2019 or 2020, which seem to be regarded by many as particularly good years for cc's.
I have smoked a fair number of the non plus and always found them decent, until somewhat recently when the few I had were quite unappealing

I think there was a bit of a frenzy over the last run of SPNP's for a few reasons.  The obvious being the discontinued status that others here mentioned.  But, I gotta say...I found the 2018/19 productions of the Non Plus to be far superior to the 2016 box where I had my initial experiences with the vitola.  I picked up that MOL June 2018 box, and it was one of the best cigars I smoked last year.  Like eating salted caramel with your feet in the water at the beach!  I was lucky enough to snag a Nov 19 box of Beli's a few months back.  Smoked 2-3 of them and found them enjoyable, but I am trying to let them rest for a while before I take another crack at them.  They aren't always easy to find, and some vendors mark them up to the $350-400 USD neighborhood, as they do with anything else that's coveted but limited.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very unique profile. Takes a few and they eventually grow on you. The saltiness, combined with the woody notes is like none other. I found the belicoso to be a bit more of a flavor bomb than the non plus. The beli was a less tight roll perhaps due to the nature of the vitola and produced huge plumes of wonderful aroma smoke. Did not like them at first, but love them now. 

• Like 4

Very unique profile. Takes a few and they eventually grow on you. The saltiness, combined with the woody notes is like none other. I found the belicoso to be a bit more of a flavor bomb than the non plus. The beli was a less tight roll perhaps due to the nature of the vitola and produced huge plumes of wonderful aroma smoke. Did not like them at first, but love them now. 
Interesting.
I'm a big fan of the belicosos vitola and buy as many marcas in belicosos as possible. Its also what made me consider giving Sancho Panza another try

• Like 1

SP Belicoso aren't what they use to be, and that may be for better or worse.  I find the boxes I have had over years to vary in how salty or mineral they taste.  The more salty and mineral; the better IMO.  Recent boxes are nearly void of both.  Old boxes you can darn see the mineral content on the wrappers!

SP Belicoso aren't what they use to be, and that may be for better or worse.  I find the boxes I have had over years to vary in how salty or mineral they taste.  The more salty and mineral; the better IMO.  Recent boxes are nearly void of both.  Old boxes you can darn see the mineral content on the wrappers!
Interesting.
The salty/mineral taste on them is getting a lot of mention.
Have only ever had one smoke I can recall that had that, and it was enjoyable, partly because of just being a unique taste.

I'm going to have to give these some serious thought as they seem generally well regarded in the responses on the several forums I posted this question on.

6 hours ago, Lrabold89 said:
On another note, how bout that gran Quixote!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still letting it rest and acclimate. Don't want to smoke it too soon and ruin a potentially great cigar

Another member here ordered a box of the gran quixote and has had them a couple weeks now
I sent him a message to see if he has tried one yet.
If he has I'll let you know what he thought of it.
I'll probably smoke on of mine in early May to give them some good rest and time to acclimate

• Like 1