Can anyone educate me on quai d'orsay?

I stopped buying (recently resumed) a few years back as we had kids and I would rather catch some sleep instead of smoking cigars. I have not been following cigar releases for a long time. QD in my memory was a small brand selling very mild cigars. I read a few reviews online and it seems people have mixed feelings about them.

Can someone educate me about the flavor profile of a QD with 3-5 years of age?

Much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Çnote said:

Delicious. Creamy orange cake.

Interesting !

I've never thought QdO was that mild. I've had some Mag 50s and Monte Opens that were milder. I'd put it at 2/5 strength.

The Coronas still stand out to me. Honey, light Cointreau, herbal notes. Age brings them all out more. There's few cigars that I'd pick as a milder choice for myself and QdO Coronas is certainly one of them.

The 50 & 54 haven't been around long enough for feedback on aged examples. I find both similar but quite different than the the Coronas. The 50 & 54 have a unique hay-like and gingerbread flavor I can't quite put my finger on. I haven't smoked enough of them and probably won't. They're not for me.

Personally, I prefer the Coronas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've only had 1 from a ten box and it's the worst cigar I've ever tried to smoke. Hoping at least half the box are worlds better, otherwise I have a hard time seeing the premium price they go for. So far, I'd smoke a D5 or Hdm Petit Robusto 50x before I'd reach for a QdO. 😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had a couple of duds of the 50 as well (2019 box of ten).

My guess--they just need another year to "get there".

I have yet to have a Cuban that was not at least good once it hit three years of age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buy the hyped when 50&54 were up, some decent flavor made you curious, bought many 54 box but I dont like them now.

You can have better experience by grab some Honduras Cameroon seed cigars to burn.

Habanos isnt stupid, QDO EL is so good, I agree Rob Senadores can age better among 19LEs, and they are dandy smoke. 

As Rob always says, pick any Marca and half are going to love and half won’t.  Cohiba included.

I fall on the side of “meh” with Quai Dorsay.  I’ve heard people call these a poor mans Cohiba, sorry I don’t get that, I’ve never had an interesting QD.  Certainly not the worst cigars I’ve ever had, they are much better constructed these days with fancy packaging, but you could cut the price in half and I’m still not buying any.  

• Like 1

I bought a 10’er to thank my friend Firaz for saving my life. I still think I got the better end of the bargain... 84/85

CF8948D6-817A-474D-B43F-301780CD2B82.jpeg

• Like 2

I am a big fan of the old band coronas. Had a 50 with 2yrs on it back in February and was pleasantly suprised at how much I enjoyed it. I have to be in the mood for a QdO as they smoke a good bit "softer" than anything I can think of in comparison, but they fit the bill perfectly when that occasion strikes.20210417_154210.jpg

• Like 2

I love the older quai dorsal personally. I am finishing up some pos 06 gran coronas, pel 01 qdo coronas and just started my 3rd box of mur13 Corona. I sampled msu18 and it was decent but in my experience needs at least 5 yrs to shine. I use to love the imperiales and panatelas too, but I enjoy qdo. The blend appears different since moving to partagas in 06 from briones montoto( romeo).

• Like 1

Panatelas are a different orbit. DC'ed 2010, worth a smoke. Maybe next time RC!

• Like 2

The QdO Churchills are quite mild, both in the last decade and the last 20 years.  I find the marca over all to generally well rolled and did not suffer in quality in the early 2000's nearly as much as other marcas.  The re-branding does taste a little different than before, but what doesn't?  The older coronas remind of me Cohiba.  I am not as hot in the 50 as others, but it's not a bad cigar at all.

The QD 50 is really lovely. I smoked a few boxes. Perfect with a morning coffee or light lunch. 

Some swear by the Edicion Limitada that came 2019 and was called Senadores or "Sensadores" but to me they were very average. 

I personally always felt think the QD are in a different class, a bit more classy and in terms of brands I would add them together with Cohiba and Trinidad. I'm not saying they are premium, but that's the way I perceive them. 

I like the old ones, not a huge fan of the 50 and 54. Mild you say? I cracked a '06 box of Panetelas the other day and was surprised by them as they weren't mild at all.

Need to give the new band Coronas a try one day though.

• Like 1

Not sure I can educate anyone about anything but here is my $.02 on the 50 and 54: 

They are pleasant smokes. I like them. Creamy and custardy flavor, light-medium body. Good morning smoke with a milk coffee as @Edicion said. They also work well as a 2nd or 3rd evening smoke, with a lighter spirit like cognac, lowland scotch, or certain Japanese whiskys. 

Where they falter for me is the value proposition. They are not real pricey, but are expensive for what you get relative to alternatives. For the application, a PLPC or Epi 2 performs as well or better and costs considerably less percentage-wise. 

Overall they're nice smokes, worth a try if you are into variety and novelty, want another entry in your bag of experiences, but I would not go long on them. 

I've had two Senadores and they were in the same ballpark on taste/body but more expensive. Have not yet been fast enough to snag the coronas. 

• Like 4

I'm actually surprised at the number of negative comments considering how fast these go on 24:24 every time.

Personally I have had maybe 10-15 sticks of the 50, 2 sticks of the 54, 2 sticks of the corona (all new bands). I had one old band some time near the beginning of my CC journey and can no longer remember the taste nor what it even was! With the number of sticks I've had, I think I can only definitively say that the 50 (toast with a sprinkling of honey all in a creamy texture) is for me, while the jury is still out on the others but positively leaning.

• Like 1

bI haven't tried the new releases so take this with a pinch of salt that my experiences are based on the Coronas, Churchill, Panetelas and Gran Coronas.

I don't think I would class them as mild, more delicate. If they were a cake they're more akin to a Madeira sponge compared to say, a brownie-like Bolivar. Age certainly plays a part a let's the more subtle citrus and vanilla aspects come to the fore, but I've enjoyed them when young too.

Smoked slow like a Monte Especial or Cohiba Coronas Especial and more often than not you're in for a real treat. I've had more 95+ cigars fun QdO, specifically the Coronas and Panetelas than pretty much any other Marca

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Çnote said:
Delicious. Creamy orange cake.

Sounds delicious

23 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:
I've never thought QdO was that mild. I've had some Mag 50s and Monte Opens that were milder. I'd put it at 2/5 strength.
The Coronas still stand out to me. Honey, light Cointreau, herbal notes. Age brings them all out more. There's few cigars that I'd pick as a milder choice for myself and QdO Coronas is certainly one of them.
The 50 & 54 haven't been around long enough for feedback on aged examples. I find both similar but quite different than the the Coronas. The 50 & 54 have a unique hay-like and gingerbread flavor I can't quite put my finger on. I haven't smoked enough of them and probably won't. They're not for me.
Personally, I prefer the Coronas.

I did not smoke many QdOs before so my memory might be wrong. But I did and still do have a preference for stronger cigars. I think I’d pick up a box of petit robusto just to give a try.

22 hours ago, SmokyFontaine said:
I've only had 1 from a ten box and it's the worst cigar I've ever tried to smoke. Hoping at least half the box are worlds better, otherwise I have a hard time seeing the premium price they go for. So far, I'd smoke a D5 or Hdm Petit Robusto 50x before I'd reach for a QdO.

Maybe it is just bad luck. Anyway the 2nd is still bad maybe we can trade or something.

21 hours ago, Cairo said:
I have had a couple of duds of the 50 as well (2019 box of ten).
My guess--they just need another year to "get there".
I have yet to have a Cuban that was not at least good once it hit three years of age.

I agree. Most, if not all, Cubans improve significantly after 3 or 5 years

11 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:
 bI haven't tried the new releases so take this with a pinch of salt that my experiences are based on the Coronas, Churchill, Panetelas and Gran Coronas.
  I don't think I would class them as mild, more delicate. If they were a cake they're more akin to a Madeira sponge compared to say, a brownie-like Bolivar. Age certainly plays a part a let's the more subtle citrus and vanilla aspects come to the fore, but I've enjoyed them when young too.
  Smoked slow like a Monte Especial or Cohiba Coronas Especial and more often than not you're in for a real treat. I've had more 95+ cigars fun QdO, specifically the Coronas and Panetelas than pretty much any other Marca

Sounds like I need pick up a box of Coronas.

15 hours ago, gojira said:
I like the old ones, not a huge fan of the 50 and 54. Mild you say? I cracked a '06 box of Panetelas the other day and was surprised by them as they weren't mild at all.

My memory might be off. I have not started smoking cigars seriously yet back in 06 so I am jealous here lol.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, gojira said:

The Panetelas are incredible, I've had some huge custard bombs over the years. If there's a cigar that can show the argument for long and skinny they must be it for me

• Like 2