Can anyone educate me on quai d'orsay?

2 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

The Panetelas are incredible, I've had some huge custard bombs over the years. If there's a cigar that can show the argument for long and skinny they must be it for me

I agree, the one that I had out of the box was stunning and they have legs for years. I've had some lighter ones in the past but this one really blew me away. Another skinny that I smoked recently was a Punch Ninfas and they are good for another 15 or 20 years.

• Like 2

I’ve only had one box each of the new band versions. Clearly it’s a milder marca.

I would say the 54s are the least interesting. I’m actually smoking one now, prompted by this thread. Rockstar looking box. Good construction. Mild body. That grassy, sweet citrus character is on display - there is some Cohiba similarity. Tons of smoke. But it’s very one-dimensional, with little depth. Pleasant enough but not much interest or progression. This is ASR Feb 19 by the way.

The 50s I’ve had have been more flavourful. Deeper and more concentrated. More ginger spice. I like them but wouldn’t chase them.

Coronas are my favourite of the three. Nice to have a cuban that is deliberately light wrapper. I’d say more tea flavours in the mix here. Between the 54 and 50 in terms of body. Works very well for occasional smokers, but not at all facile. And great format of course. 

There’s a place for these. Certainly don’t write them off because of one bad experience or even a couple. I turn to them when I want something lighter, and I’m glad they are out there for variation.

963E5DC8-8D06-4BE1-A027-D949D1355B1A.jpeg.1a266e5e20209953f1348d019d03b4ad.jpeg

• Like 2

I don't buy boxes of any QdO so I don't usually have box codes but I did smoke a ULA NOV 14 Coronas a couple years ago and I will say the first half was absolutely delicious. The second half got a little muddled. This might be due to needing a little more age (it was less than 5 years at the time).

I would have scored the first half a legitimate 96-97, second half about 92. If it had kept steady it would have been my cigar of the year. The Coronas do have that potential and have a pretty high ceiling with 5-7 years on them. 

I think any marca or specific cigar is likely to split opinion, and the comments thus far has been a pretty fair reflection of that. 

I couldn't love the Coronas Claro more, its the perfect cigar for me.  For me they have the following notes

- a sweet Orange rind/marmalade 

- a creamy porridge, toasted oats

- Aromatic cedar, anise astringency

- sometimes sweet baking spices of nutmeg and cinnamon

Imperiales are similar but slightly more lemony that orange. 

54 i've found enjoyable, but naturally because of their format, are a great deal less intense in flavour, airy and muddled.   But this is just the RG for me,  still quality tobacco present, and good flavours. 

Still hate myself for passing up on two boxes of Panatelas

Strangely have no interest in trying the 50, for some reason, I just don't think the blend would suit the format.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Cazador said:

Imperiales are all terrible. Please leave all remaining samples to me for proper disposal.

Yeah, I’m starting to run low as well 😂

• Like 1