Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

If you’re still too nervous, send them to me I’ll try them out for you

Dude I’m an American,  I learned to smoke cigars on stale Nicaraguan liquor store cigars. Mongrel doesn’t scare me ..

just kidding, other than Swisher sweets my first real cigar was a Macanudo Hampton Court at age 16, and I love those! Real creamy, sweet, cedary, and smooth. Not for the really experienced cigar smoker. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheese is good, but it is only one of the benefits of mold. The mold, Penicillium Chrysogenum, revolutionized medicine and has saved millions of lives.  It produces a substance that cures many pr

I don’t even need to see them, the answer is mold lol.  Brush it off and smoke away.

Wait til you find out how much mold is introduced to your body every day merely by the act of breathing!   Also, I cannot think of a better way to destroy mold than by setting it on fire.

1 hour ago, Count of Montecristo said:

Is it harmful? Thanks 

Does anyone know any actual evidence on this? With systemic mold throughout the cigar body, no doubt you would inhale *some* before it was burned. But tbh I am not even sure mold in the foot would put me off from smoking it, certainly not before taking a few draws to check the taste. I know there are some wet food molds that can be toxic, but other than that a lot of the revulsion seems like a general "ick" factor rather than evidence of real harm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Vitola Corleone said:

Does anyone know any actual evidence on this? With systemic mold throughout the cigar body, no doubt you would inhale *some* before it was burned. But tbh I am not even sure mold in the foot would put me off from smoking it, certainly not before taking a few draws to check the taste. I know there are some wet food molds that can be toxic, but other than that a lot of the revulsion seems like a general "ick" factor rather than evidence of real harm. 

They need to sleep, they’re tired, and besides I have cigars that are awake right now! They taste like smoking cherry cola. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Count of Montecristo said:

Is it harmful? Thanks 

I'm way more concerned about harmful things than the average person due to a litany of health issues, and yes I smoke cigars with a lot of moderation. Yet I do not worry about mold on cigars that looks like a white dusting or white spots. Other colors like black, pink, orange mold, that's another story and I would immediately throw the cigar out. But I have never seen those kinds of mold on cigars. Most molds are harmless and, as pointed out, the vast majority of cheeses include beneficial mold as part of the manufacturing process. Mold is also used in the production of cured meats (it's crucial in the production of salame), some wines (Tokaji Aszu/Essencia), and a bunch of other foodstuff. 

Unfortunately there is as usual very little research on cigars and tobacco products, but the empirical evidence of centuries of smoking cigars points to the fact that the mold that grows on cigars seems to be not harmful, and like the plume/mold thread discussed, it might even be beneficial to the development of certain desirable flavors or characteristics in cigars, just like it dose for other products. 

Bottom line, unless the mold looks really excessive or really weird, like most said brush it off and smoke away. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Enduin said:

it might even be beneficial to the development of certain desirable flavors or characteristics in cigars, just like it dose for other products. 

Not to go to deep into the weeds, but is there any evidence of this or is this your own personal experience? Not calling you out, but would like to find out more, if possible.

Thanks.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

mold definitely has a taste when smoked. 

as a life long cannabis smoker, when we were younger, buying black market weed, we would sometimes buy moldy weed. You just bought it and smoked it....and it definitely tasted different than non moldy weed. I'm assuming the same would be for cigars? 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jonnyfromiranny said:

Not to go to deep into the weeds, but is there any evidence of this or is this your own personal experience? Not calling you out, but would like to find out more, if possible.

Thanks.

No evidence that I know of, it's just something that was mentioned int he thread as a possibility. Mold breaks down organic matter and as such it creates byproducts, some of which are responsible for the majority of the flavors in aged cheese (I have experience with making cheese at home and have experimented making the same curd then inoculating one part with beneficial mold and one part with no mold, I was amazed to realize how much of the flavor was due to the mold). Same thing for the other products where mold is used. So, it's 100% plausible that mold growing on cigars could have the same effect, and that would explain why the whole "cigars with plume are desirable" idea was born. That said, there is no proof that I know of, just some anecdotal evidence. The only way to know would be to make two batches of cigars, from the same leaves, and then age one with mold and one where mold has been removed (if it's even possible) and then compare. 

29 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

mold definitely has a taste when smoked. 

as a life long cannabis smoker, when we were younger, buying black market weed, we would sometimes buy moldy weed. You just bought it and smoked it....and it definitely tasted different than non moldy weed. I'm assuming the same would be for cigars? 

There's mold and there's mold. A properly made salame has mold that grows on the outside, definitely doesn't taste the same as a piece of meat that was left in a Tupperware in the fridge for a month and is covered with mold. Not only the strains of mold are different, but also the way the mold grows and how much of it, has an impact. I never smoked moldy weed, but I feel pretty confident in saying that I bet it's not the same as a cigar with a bit of mold/"plume" on the wrapper...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RichG-LI-NY said:

A couple of weeks ago I was driving home from my first Covid vax smoking a PLPC. This box had some mold (not from FOH), of which I feel I perhaps half assed the cleaning effort on.

As I was smoking and driving along, the wrapper started to unravel a bit...without thinking I licked the slightly moldy wrapper to moisten it and keep it from unraveling, a method which was ultimately quite productive.

A few moments after licking I began to think...”my God...if I go into shock and pass out from the mold...they will find me and my paperwork and think it’s an adverse reaction to the covid vaccine and never be able to revive me or solve the mystery of my death from Cuban mold.”

The fear soon passed...but at this point if I grow an additional limb or anything of the sort it’s a coin toss as to the reason why.


 

 

It will be from the vax for sure :)  cigars are only good for us, mold or no mold!

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

mold definitely has a taste when smoked. 

as a life long cannabis smoker, when we were younger, buying black market weed, we would sometimes buy moldy weed. You just bought it and smoked it....and it definitely tasted different than non moldy weed. I'm assuming the same would be for cigars? 

I feel you bro

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the rona didn’t kill you, then the mold will. Any concerns, give the sticks to those who don’t mind being killed. They’ll enjoy them safely. Oh yeah, bubonic plague will kill as well, so will SARS, the HIV, AIDS, the MERS, MERSA, Cancer, MRI machines, choking on pretzels, Teslas, gang violence, protests, infidels, sensitivity, sex changes, assorted car accidents, white sharks, jellyfish, venomous snakes, assault rifles,  and NYC subways. Stay home and stay safe all. We have a word for that in NY. GFY. Go something yourself. Then cry me a f’ing river. When were men being men? Not now, not these days. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I should’ve been saving that mold instead of wiping it off. I threw away the best part

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Vitola Corleone said:

Does anyone know any actual evidence on this? With systemic mold throughout the cigar body, no doubt you would inhale *some* before it was burned. But tbh I am not even sure mold in the foot would put me off from smoking it, certainly not before taking a few draws to check the taste. I know there are some wet food molds that can be toxic, but other than that a lot of the revulsion seems like a general "ick" factor rather than evidence of real harm. 

The mold you see are reproductive organs while the rest is inside the cigar. By the time you see mold it has already plundered the insides.

 

I've only had two patients in my time with fungal infections on their lungs. It's absolutely the worst infection, perhaps the most painful. 

 

You can rationalize that there is fungus and bacteria etc all over us. There are in fact more bacteria keeping us alive than regular cells. But ultimately it's it's risk. A very dangerous risk.

 

For my part, knowing what I know, and given my education (which is completely unrelated to my profession),  but still willing to take a risk, I will toss out any cigar with mold on it, place any cigar adjacent to that cigar in isolation, then place the rest of the box in separate storage for a month minimum. 

 

You have to decide the value of your health and what course of action you take accordingly. Wiping them down is a roll of the dice. It works for many, but it's one of those "if everyone jumped off a bridge" things. I'll just take the stairs.

 

20 hours ago, Yellot00tr said:

If the rona didn’t kill you, then the mold will. Any concerns, give the sticks to those who don’t mind being killed. They’ll enjoy them safely. Oh yeah, bubonic plague will kill as well, so will SARS, the HIV, AIDS, the MERS, MERSA, Cancer, MRI machines, choking on pretzels, Teslas, gang violence, protests, infidels, sensitivity, sex changes, assorted car accidents, and NYC subways. Stay home and stay safe all. We have a word for that in NY. GFY. Go something yourself. Then cry me a f’ing river.

My life in NYC was never like that. I lived on 45th near 10th then right on 9th at 45th. Everyone was super friendly and kind and very private. I remember when the anthrax scares hit, people definitely weren't gfy about it. I'm sorry you had that experience. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Meesterjojo said:

My life in NYC was never like that. I lived on 45th near 10th then right on 9th at 45th. Everyone was super friendly and kind and very private. I remember when the anthrax scares hit, people definitely weren't gfy about it. I'm sorry you had that experience. 

Please understand, I was being very, very sarcastic. If we worry about every single thing in life killing us, we’re all dead and done for. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yellot00tr said:

Please understand, I was being very, very sarcastic. If we worry about every single thing in life killing us, we’re all dead and done for. 

I agree, though I tend to advise caution these days. And I'm considered very cavalier...;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tread the line. Cry like a baby. That’s PC. Come on now. Cry some more. Then cry again. Then cry some more. That’s sensitive. Those folks deserve the respect of the ones who keep crying and complaining. It’s absurd, ridiculous, and stupid. I’m busy doing actual things that mean something. That mean things to those who are from the old school, that mean something to those who said what they meant and felt. Blame red china, cuban missiles, the rat pack, ho chi min, ayatollahs, sheiks in the mid east, war in nam, tsunamis in se asia, hiroshima, nagasaki, affirmative action, liberals and conservatives, and God himself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Cheese is good, but it is only one of the benefits of mold.

The mold, Penicillium Chrysogenum, revolutionized medicine and has saved millions of lives.  It produces a substance that cures many previously incurable diseases.  It kills bacteria such as streptococcus, meningococcus and the diphtheria bacillus.  Before its introduction there was no effective treatment for infections such as pneumonia, gonorrhea or rheumatic fever. Hospitals were full of people with blood poisoning contracted from a cut or a scratch, and doctors could do little for them but wait and hope.  It's discovery ushered in the age of antibiotics.  Long before this, ancient populations used to rub moldy bread on wounds.

Gonorrhea.....never heard of it 🤐😕

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others said, the plume doesn't exist but mold does. Same thing happened to me in the last year with 6er RyJ Ex4s. Nothing bad happened since I wiped white mold off from 6er RyJ Ex4s.

P.S. Thank god that there were no molds on RyJ Ex4's feet.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RichG-LI-NY said:

A couple of weeks ago I was driving home from my first Covid vax smoking a PLPC. This box had some mold (not from FOH), of which I feel I perhaps half assed the cleaning effort on.

As I was smoking and driving along, the wrapper started to unravel a bit...without thinking I licked the slightly moldy wrapper to moisten it and keep it from unraveling, a method which was ultimately quite productive.

A few moments after licking I began to think...”my God...if I go into shock and pass out from the mold...they will find me and my paperwork and think it’s an adverse reaction to the covid vaccine and never be able to revive me or solve the mystery of my death from Cuban mold.”

The fear soon passed...but at this point if I grow an additional limb or anything of the sort it’s a coin toss as to the reason why.


 

 

Breaking: COVID vaccines effective against deadly tobacco mold. Pharma shares close 12% higher. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s chant

“ Down with mold”

“Praise the fungus! Let’s go mushrooms”

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

 

Plume is mold. Mold is mostly good, from my point-of-view.

No mold, no cheese...

 

Wait, you can use your plume to make cheese?!?

😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of mushrooms last night I tried to smoke a Jose Piedro, it didn’t work out. It was like a paper bag full of trash. They should just give that stuff to the cigarette makers and forget about it

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.