17 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Cheese is good, but it is only one of the benefits of mold.

The mold, Penicillium Chrysogenum, revolutionized medicine and has saved millions of lives.  It produces a substance that cures many previously incurable diseases.  It kills bacteria such as streptococcus, meningococcus and the diphtheria bacillus.  Before its introduction there was no effective treatment for infections such as pneumonia, gonorrhea or rheumatic fever. Hospitals were full of people with blood poisoning contracted from a cut or a scratch, and doctors could do little for them but wait and hope.  It's discovery ushered in the age of antibiotics.  Long before this, ancient populations used to rub moldy bread on wounds.

Whenever there was a bit of mold on our bread, my mom used to tell me the exact same thing when I was a kid....well, almost, she left out the part about gonorrhea.

• Haha 3
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheese is good, but it is only one of the benefits of mold. The mold, Penicillium Chrysogenum, revolutionized medicine and has saved millions of lives.  It produces a substance that cures many pr

I don’t even need to see them, the answer is mold lol.  Brush it off and smoke away.

Wait til you find out how much mold is introduced to your body every day merely by the act of breathing!   Also, I cannot think of a better way to destroy mold than by setting it on fire.

16 hours ago, jonnyfromiranny said:

Not to go to deep into the weeds, but is there any evidence of this or is this your own personal experience? Not calling you out, but would like to find out more, if possible.

Thanks.

There was a paper on tobacco fermentation @NSXCIGAR posted in another thread which suggested in its conclusion that fungi and not bacteria might contribute to tobacco fermentation. Mold being a subset of fungi (not sure if there are other fungi in cigars besides mold).

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Is the mold that grows in airtight sealed boxes different? I have a couple of full cigar boxes, wrapped in plastic, lying in airtight aging containers for over 5 years ...

Any qualified information about oxygen-deficient aging and mold is welcome.

7 hours ago, Guybrush said:

Is the mold that grows in airtight sealed boxes different? I have a couple of full cigar boxes, wrapped in plastic, lying in airtight aging containers for over 5 years ...

Any qualified information about oxygen-deficient aging and mold is welcome.

Mold spores were already in there before you/they sealed it.  Mold is everywhere.  There’s still some air in there, and there’s food for the mold to “eat” to grow.  If temp and humidity is right it’ll grow.  I’m not a biologist but not much air is required for mold, it’s not like it breathes per se.  

On 4/22/2021 at 2:51 AM, Bijan said:

There was a paper on tobacco fermentation @NSXCIGAR posted in another thread which suggested in its conclusion that fungi and not bacteria might contribute to tobacco fermentation. Mold being a subset of fungi (not sure if there are other fungi in cigars besides mold).

Cigar mushrooms are the worst 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, mprach024 said:

Cigar mushrooms are the worst 

not if they are the good ones :) 

• Haha 1
Just now, Hammer Smokin' said:

not if they are the good ones :) 

Ha, good point, tasting notes on those cigars are they taste of rainbows, laughter, and raindrops

• Like 1
  • Haha 1