3 favorite cigars in your regular rotation

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm kind of operating the same way except I stack the tupperdors.  The boxes I want to age the most go in the bottom tupper so it's a little more difficult to get at them.  Even if I'm tempted, their

Regular rotation favorites right now are: Epicure 1 Coloniales Coronas claros 

I don't really have a rotation as I like variety quite a bit. Some cigars will be smoked up to 5 times per year and I don't think that many or smoked more often than that. I have been keeping a cigar

Boli BBF/RC/Pc is always in rotation 

party short due to timing in winter

Mag 46. @rcarlsonand a great price last summer put these in heavy rotation. 

blessed w a wide selection of sticks so the rotation is wide. It’s great to rediscover a stick I love. Half the fun for me is my weekly trip to the Coolidors and the oh yes, forgot about these moments. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, moneyneversleeps said:

Had R&J churchill from the Christmas sampler and really enjoyed it.  Notice that a lot of users have the wides on their list.  Same taste profile as the Churchills?  Thanks.

I definitely get a family resemblance across the churchill line, and I like them all. For the ring gauge, the wide does a nice job of maintaining a coherent flavor. But I don't get as much cherry out of it, or as much evolution, as the (regular) churchill. Also be sure to give the Exhibicion 4 a try -- I get more depth and mineral taste from them than either the wide or short churchill. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I like variety too. That's why I have a rotation...;)

I think that cigar rotation and variety does not have the same meaning to us. 🤷‍♂️

To me it means to circle through a certain amount of boxes. Circling or rotating through 8 or 10 different boxes doesn't give one much variety.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moneyneversleeps said:

Had R&J churchill from the Christmas sampler and really enjoyed it.  Notice that a lot of users have the wides on their list.  Same taste profile as the Churchills?  Thanks.

In my experience there is wide variation among the RyJ "Churchill" models. The Wide is very mild and light IMO. The Short is somewhat similar to the Ex 4--maybe a bit lighter. The Petit is quite punchy and has more deep cherry, somewhat similar to the Petit Royales. 

I've always felt the Churchills are by far the best of the group. Most consistent and most complex. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Been smoking a few Monte A lately...

I got a 5 coffin box of those a couple of years ago. I’ve never had one and have promised myself that I won’t touch these until either the Vikings make it to the SB, or I become too old and feeble to smoke them, in which case I’ll put them up on BR in 2047! Whichever comes first... 😔

23 hours ago, gojira said:

To me it means to circle through a certain amount of boxes. Circling or rotating through 8 or 10 different boxes doesn't give one much variety.

You're right--I'm not sure what that means. My definition of "regular rotation" is simply the cigars one most frequently and regularly buys and/or smokes. 

I guess since I buy my cigars by the box I have 8 or so boxes I "circle through" so to speak, but in no particular order. Might smoke 3 in a row of one and go weeks without another. Mood, place and time are the determiners for me. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

You're right--I'm not sure what that means. My definition of "regular rotation" is simply the cigars one most frequently and regularly buys and/or smokes. 

I guess since I buy my cigars by the box I have 8 or so boxes I "circle through" so to speak, but in no particular order. Might smoke 3 in a row of one and go weeks without another. Mood, place and time are the determiners for me. 

Mood definitely is a determiner for me as well. Place and time not so much any more since one can't go anywhere and everything is closed here anyway. I built up a sufficiently big stash that I don't have to rotate through a few boxes any more. I smoke from approximately 50 or 60 open boxes and a ton of different singles and see myself zigzagging through what's in my "smoking" cabinet rather than regularly rotate through a certain amount of boxes. I would find it a bit boring to smoke the same 5 to 10 cigars over and over again.

• Like 1

Enjoying the replies here. Was surprised to see PL Monte Carlo mentioned by a few -- I had thought it an obscure cigar, and only just got my first box earlier this month. Had one and enjoyed it very much. Also cool to see that very available smokes like the PSD4 still hold interest for people with immense collections and wide experience. 

With a thread like this you can think, what's the point, smoke what you like, who cares what others like. However there's a lot of information when a lot of people name the same choices, like Parti shorts which I still have yet to ever smoke but am reminded I should try. The lists are also a rudimentary form of the recommended books feature on Amazon -- "people who like the Connie A also like..." Would be fun to do more systematically, and probably possible with review data from the cuban cigar website. Not that I'm going to try :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gojira said:

Mood definitely is a determiner for me as well. Place and time not so much any more since one can't go anywhere and everything is closed here anyway. I built up a sufficiently big stash that I don't have to rotate through a few boxes any more. I smoke from approximately 50 or 60 open boxes and a ton of different singles and see myself zigzagging through what's in my "smoking" cabinet rather than regularly rotate through a certain amount of boxes. I would find it a bit boring to smoke the same 5 to 10 cigars over and over again.

I only say time and place as a factor in size choice. Obviously I'm not going to smoke a Double Coronas if I don't have the time and am less than comfortable. 

So you don't have a handful of cigars you prefer more than others? You have 50-60 different models you smoke with no particular preference for any? 

3 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

So you don't have a handful of cigars you prefer more than others? You have 50-60 different models you smoke with no particular preference for any? 

I am also currently operating this way too. I was a bit closer to the rotation model in winter when I was having more short smokes. But even then only slightly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bijan said:

I am also currently operating this way too. I was a bit closer to the rotation model in winter when I was having more short smokes. But even then only slightly.

I guess there's just too many cigars I don't care for. It could be a blessing or a curse, but I see it as a blessing. I know what I like and I know what I don't. 

In the 90s I was even worse. The vast majority of the cigars I smoked were RyJ Ex 4 and BRC. I found what I liked and I stuck to them. I think that was much more common in the past than it is today. People had their brand their cigar. 

• Like 1

Just now, NSXCIGAR said:

People had their brand their cigar

Might explain part of the reason 50 cabs fell out of fashion.

2 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I guess there's just too many cigars I don't care for. It could be a blessing or a curse, but I see it as a blessing. I know what I like and I know what I don't. 

There are a few cigars I don't care for and definitely some I like more. But most cigars.i enjoy if I get a good example. The quality control issues/variability with CCs though means I might enjoy a particular good example of a less preferred cigar more than a bad example of a favourite at any particular time.

54 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I only say time and place as a factor in size choice. Obviously I'm not going to smoke a Double Coronas if I don't have the time and am less than comfortable. 

The ones that I really love are mostly discontinued cigars that I only have a few left off. If I had enough stock I would smoke a Grandes de Espana every 2 or 3 months. Sadly that's not the case. Then there is that QdO Panetelas that I cracked recently because a friend wanted a few in trade. I smoked one and was blown away by it. But I probably will never buy a new box because these are hard to find and they would probably go for quite a bit of money if they showed up in an auction. I will gift a friend a single because he sends me very nice gifts on a regular basis and I try to send equally nice cigars back as a thank you. So I have 20 cigars remaining in that box and the plan is to make them last even though I could smoke one per month because they are so good.

But I do have a handful of still-in-production cigars that I prefer more than others: Lusi, 8-9-8 for example. Maybe I should smoke these more often as I have a rather decent stock of both. Then there's the Mag 46, I'm smoking through a 2013 50 cab that has about 20 left and I have been wanting to buy a new box for a few years but I never get around to it, I don't know why. Luckily a friend offered to split a 2013 box he found last year and I'm smoking through these now.

I also try to add cigars that I don't care much about any more on a regular basis. I recently did a head count of my Petit Robustos and I have a ton of them. So I'm smoking one per week to see which ones I still like and to empty my cracked boxes of the ones that I don't like that much. The plan is to auction off the full boxes that I have left of the ones that aren't good IMO to make room for something else.

All this may seem a little weird as I'd rather smoke a MdO No.2 than a No.4 but I don't simply because I'm too cheap to replace the No.2s at current prices. I probably could smoke a stellar cigar per day for a year or two but then I would have none of my favorite cigars left unless I bought replacements at very high prices since the ones that I really love have almost all been discontinued. There aren't that many cigars left in regular production that I really love (a handful of Cohiba, Lusitanias, 8-9-8, SW, Mag 46, Fundadores).

• Like 4