Optimal resting/acclimatization time

Aging not included, What do you feel is the minimum or optimal resting and acclimating time for newly arrived Cigars?

Curious to see some opinions on this

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I give mine 30 days from receipt. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

Aging not included, What do you feel is the minimum or optimal resting and acclimating time for newly arrived Cigars?

In terms of what, exactly?

• Until you open the box? - immediately for inspection
  • Until you take one out and smoke it? - depends on cigar, season, and source, from immediately to whenever
  • Until the cigar can be considered acclimated to your storage conditions? - 30 days minimum, 60 days preferred, depending on storage system
  • Until the cigar can be expected to deliver reasonable "young" smoking performance? 30-120 days, depending on the above and box date

I used to pull one out and sample soon after receipt. But over time, and as the boxes accumulate, I tend to just throw them in the coolers, leaving some untouched for years.

90 days for me. I can’t believe the difference. I’ve tried 30 days and 60 days being impatient, but 90 days is it for me on the East Coast.  Now, this is from Oz. I have noticed around 60 days usually works from Europe. Starting to cut hairs, so I go 90 days no matter what, and it works 99% of the time. I can judge any time down after for any cigar from 90 days. It’s the perfect starting point IMO. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, rcarlson said:

90 for me.  Box age makes difference though.   

I'll echo this. 90 days is what I've found to really make a difference

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J-Slay said:

90 days for me. I can’t believe the difference. I’ve tried 30 days and 60 days being impatient, but 90 days is it for me on the East Coast.  Now, this is from Oz. I have noticed around 60 days usually works from Europe. Starting to cut hairs, so I go 90 days no matter what, and it works 99% of the time. I can judge any time down after for any cigar from 90 days. It’s the perfect starting point IMO. 

This. 90 days. I'll tell myself "maybe this one will be different" then regret it immediately. Substantially better 3 months in for me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Several of us participated in an experiment a couple years ago and I found the results both surprising and enlightening 

Would love to see another of these done with a couple more marcas. Esplendido/CoRo and SW/Upmann 2 perhaps?

Also, with photos of beginning-mid-end boxes standardized to lighting and location with the final post of each side by side by side. Will make the visual changes easier to see.

• Like 2

I have sampled them ROTT when shipping time from AUS to CHN is relatively short (currently running less than 2 weeks) and the cigar is too attractive to pass up. With only a few exceptions, it’s a disappointing experience, LoL. Generally I stick to a minimum of 90 days in my humidor to acclimatize the cigars. The vast majority of my new arrivals are going into long-term storage, so after trying one at 90 days, it’s close the box and let ‘em rest for several years. 

• Like 4

I find this thread interesting to follow. I'm also interested in knowing for those of you who live and buy cigars from B&M shops where you live, if you also feel they benefit from 30-60-90+ days down or if you smoke them right away. It does depend on the manufacturing date to some extent but in general, if they have one or two years on them, should they be ready to go? 

• Like 2

I like them fresh off the truck! After that though I find they need 6 months.

Increasingly finding Cubans are good within 12-18 months of box date but then need 3-5 years...the "sick period" is real in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I don't have any stores near me for 200 miles. I can't just pop in to get a smoke anywhere, so everything has to be shipped.

This thread got me wondering what happened to the days when one could pop into a store and smoke right away? I used to very much enjoy going to the Dunhill store in Houston and grabbing a smoke. Perfect every time. 

Now on other forums I read that even these sticks need rest. What happened?

1 hour ago, Meesterjojo said:

What happened?

Your post is talking about NCs.

The walk in situation is totally dependent on the B & M retailer.

If they over-humidify their cigars, then all of them will need rest.

If they can keep their cigars in the 69-70% humidity range, they should be good to go, particularly if they have been sitting in the store for a few months.

That said, there are some strong Nicaraguans (imho) that really need some time (at least a year) to "calm down" and be smooth enough to be their best.

For Cubans I have had enough bad experiences with the young ones that I don't touch them for several years.   I know I may be missing out on some smokes that are amazing young, but at this point I am unwilling to risk wasting a quality cigar.     I have been going through all of my 2018 boxes and testing them, and many are still not ready imho.    The 2017 boxes are uniformly killing it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Meesterjojo said:

I don't have any stores near me for 200 miles. I can't just pop in to get a smoke anywhere, so everything has to be shipped.

This thread got me wondering what happened to the days when one could pop into a store and smoke right away? I used to very much enjoy going to the Dunhill store in Houston and grabbing a smoke. Perfect every time. 

Now on other forums I read that even these sticks need rest. What happened?

Yeah that is what I was wondering as well. I feel they have been stored properly they are good to go. Many times (pre-Covid) when I used to fly and bring cigars (carry on most of the times), I never felt the cigars didn't cope well, even after weeks on the road, and temperature, pressure changes. So if they weren't new or "young" then the extra travel did not change them too much.

3 hours ago, Cairo said:

Your post is talking about NCs.

The walk in situation is totally dependent on the B & M retailer.

If they over-humidify their cigars, then all of them will need rest.

If they can keep their cigars in the 69-70% humidity range, they should be good to go, particularly if they have been sitting in the store for a few months.

That said, there are some strong Nicaraguans (imho) that really need some time (at least a year) to "calm down" and be smooth enough to be their best.

For Cubans I have had enough bad experiences with the young ones that I don't touch them for several years.   I know I may be missing out on some smokes that are amazing young, but at this point I am unwilling to risk wasting a quality cigar.     I have been going through all of my 2018 boxes and testing them, and many are still not ready imho.    The 2017 boxes are uniformly killing it.

Verily. NCs. Maybe that's why I'm lost on the thought. Like, I get that Cubans need time. But apparently so do non Cubans now. And beyond just a rest from transport. 

I'm about to take the plunge and start buying en masse so that one year I'll have plenty to smoke while the next year's stock arrives to be aged. I'm just not sure how much to start with based on my anticipated needs.

11 hours ago, rcarlson said:

90 for me.  Box age makes difference though.   

Same goes on me @rcarlson! I used to acclimate CCs 30 days, but I found that 90 days of acclimatization was way better than 30-60 days of resting period. So, I let CCs rest 90 days despite of being suffered for waiting LOL (my preferred RH is 65%) 😂.

BTW, I recommend Korean BOTL to put CCs in 65% RH instead of 69% or more for better CC experience. He experimented with 24:24 12er RASS by putting them in different Boveda packs: 65%, 69%, 72%, respectively. He said RASS rested in 65% RH Boveda pack tasted way better with zero bitterness than 69% or more 😆.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1