EL and ER recommendations

Just recently bought my first ever 2 ER's as i found some sold as singles and at a great price. They are still resting though unfortunately.

My question is, what available ER's and EL's would those of you with experience reccomend?

Looking to dip my toes into this area to continue my quest to experience as much as I can in the cc world. Rather than just always buying what I know i like, like I had been doing until about a year ago when I decided to try as many new cc's as possible

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It all depends on how much coin you want to spend.

Here are the 2018 ones that smoked good when they were released IMHO:

El Rey del Mundo Petit Cayo - Andorra
El Rey del Mundo Taínos - Formosa
La Flor de Cano Mágicos - España
Punch 8-9-8 - Asia Pacifico

This one smoked good young but I recently had one and found it disappointing:

Quai d'Orsay Capitolio - Francia

These will turn out to be something great even though the ones that I've smoked all had some construction problems:

La Gloria Cubana Orgullosos - Suiza

This one will probably be amazing, even though the last one that I smoked wasn't that good in it's final third. First two thirds were amazing though.

El Rey del Mundo La Reina - Gran Bretaña

They will set you back quite a bit.

But unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money and get some bad REs in the process I wouldn't go down that road. Stick to regular production and age your boxes. that's much more rewarding. Or get singles with each RE box you buy. That way you can sample them a few times and sell the boxes of those that you don't like. Or use them as trade bait.

• Like 3

My taste buds are not refined enough for me to enjoy the ELs and ERs. For me the regular productions are good enough as long as you build a healthy sustainable inventory and have access to sticks with 6,7 or more years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Honestly. I wouldn't recommend any of them. I'm not spending any of my own coin on them right now. 
I'm all for trying new things, but unless you've smoked through a box or two of every Regular Production stick, than you have A LOT of fresh pasture in front of you. 
Even at heavy discounts (which is suspect for most RE/LE's worth a damn) your money would be much better deployed on regular production. 
I have had some success the last few years with Cuban RE's purchased on the island. At 5-8 bucks a stick the risk is relatively low and most of the releases have been good to great. Otherwise, I would suggest avoiding the Hype. 

There are certainly plenty of regular production cigars I have never tried, but my Issue is that due to storage space and budget i only buy singles and 3,4and 5 packs, and its difficult to find many of the vitolas as anything other than boxes.
I have recently found a few places that sell ER's and EL's as singles, which is part of the reason for my question.
I would love to try more regular production, but I have only found a handful of vendors that sell singles and I have tried most of the ones offered

2 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

There are certainly plenty of regular production cigars I have never tried, but my Issue is that due to storage space and budget i only buy singles and 3,4and 5 packs, and its difficult to find many of the vitolas as anything other than boxes.
I have recently found a few places that sell ER's and EL's as singles, which is part of the reason for my question.
I would love to try more regular production, but I have only found a handful of vendors that sell singles and I have tried most of the ones offered

Then I would recommend spending your limited budget on more storage space. That is a WAY better investment than LE's/RE's. Honestly, I would say slow down all your Cigar purchases until you have your storage system dialed in. I'd Love a Ferrari, but I'm not gunna buy one before I have a garage to put it in. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Nothing wrong with experimenting! 

Man, I miss college.

31 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

RE's: Anything Italian. 

Generally agree but the LFDC Casanova seemed to be bit of a dud for some. Proceed with caution on that one.

Some recent EL threads:

• Like 3

Italian, Swiss, and UK Regional's are generally great.  Try a Regional from a country you visited or have an affinity towards.

For EL's, Partagas has had a good run, Montecristo tends to be a winner.  Upmann and be hit or miss.

• Thanks 1

Slightly off topic, but has anyone had a good RE from Spain? All the recent one's I've tried have been terrible.  They seem to have a lot of RE's so was just looking for a recommendation if any were worth chasing.

Haven't seen a bad review of a cohiba EL before... But the concept of value is best left to you to consider! 

That said, buy a full box, smoke a couple, and sell the remainder on BR in a year for the same price as what you got the full box for 🙃

On 4/27/2021 at 4:54 AM, Cigarsmoker81 said:
Of the recent el and er my fav are 
1 montecristo 2019
2 sancho panza qd
3 diplomatico belux 
4 punch 898 
5 bolivar soberanos  2018 ( they’re expensive online now but if you can get it at retail then imho it’s worth it )

Nice. I have a couple each of the sancho panza and diplomaticos resting right now. Would love a Montecristo 2019 since I'm a big Montecristo fan. I will do some googling for them

Yikes, looked them up and no one has them as singles and the boxes go for a crazy amount of money. Definitely won't be able to try those...

On 4/27/2021 at 1:59 AM, MrBirdman said:
Punch 8-9-8 have been winners in my experience.

Unfortunately can't find them as singles and the boxes are crazy expensive

Will have to look into the others mentioned, but unless I can find somewhere selling singles they will likely be well outside my price range